Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Eastenders.

(27 Posts)
gmelon Fri 14-Dec-18 03:32:12

I found the scene between Linda and Stuart very disturbing because it is so irresponsible.
It showed her having the upper hand ultimately and saying things to him that would have her seriously injured with a man such as his character.

Too often scenes are portrayed where in real life the women would have been beaten and abused for goading a violent nutcase. Linda was seen to say things that will get women killed in real life.

Are we feeding the myth that violent men buckle under the unleashing of a sharp tongue?
She hit him with a bottle which would have made him angrier than ever and brought about an attack against her.

He sloped off into the night instead.

With violent men women do not win.
We'd like to think so but it isn't true.

I may have found it difficult to articulate, I hope I'm understood.
I am just so disturbed that she was portrayed as safe no matter how far she pushed him.

Alima Fri 14-Dec-18 05:46:07

I do see what you are saying and agree about finding the content of the whole episode rather iffy. Kept thinking it was too early to be shown. Didn’t find it convincing either, seemed to go on for ever. At least now Linda has the means to get Mick out of jail. Or has she?

Jane10 Fri 14-Dec-18 06:57:42

I know what you both mean. It was a horrible episode. I can't bear to watch that damaged, disturbed man with his horrible little smile. I'm not a fan of Linda's either. Will it work? I don't know but they'll have to get Mick back for the annual Christmas drama.

Brunette10 Fri 14-Dec-18 07:11:24

Agree with all your sentiments - not a good episode at all for various reasons. Wish this story would come to an end.

notnecessarilywiser Fri 14-Dec-18 08:25:45

A very uncomfortable episode. Stuart's admission that he shot himself could be explained away as a windup or sick roleplay with no benefit to Mick's case, while Linda has put herself at considerable risk to get it.

I'd hoped that Shirley would emerge from the shadows at the end to show that Linda hadn't been entirely on her own with such a volatile, powerful man, but no.

Grannyknot Fri 14-Dec-18 08:28:20

It's a soap opera...!

kittylester Fri 14-Dec-18 08:33:00

gk tchgrin

EllanVannin Fri 14-Dec-18 08:34:27

Never watch the programme.
The only soap I watch is Home and Away and they're having their usual broadcasting break.

sodapop Fri 14-Dec-18 09:03:18

Soap opera or not it was a disturbing episode and I thought quite unbelievable. A man of Stuart's supposed character would have assaulted Linda more severely I think, Linda was not convincing either. Pretty poor story line Enders.

gmelon Fri 14-Dec-18 09:16:35

Yes it's a soap opera.
Watched by millions and therefore holds responsibility.
We must also look outside of the programme to the safety of women.
False confidence in a female strength against men is dangerous.
Shouldn't be encouraged.
No doubt there were many women cheering for Linda and fooled into thinking they would have any strength against a man.

gmelon Fri 14-Dec-18 09:22:13

My OP seems to need clarification for some

I'm not disturbed by viewing the episode.

I'm aware it is acting.
I'm aware it is a soap

I'm disturbed by the irresponsible and damaging message put across.

Jane10 Fri 14-Dec-18 10:21:07

I get you gmelon!

kittylester Fri 14-Dec-18 10:41:13

Do you not think it was portraying Linda as strong and determined! That was what I got from it?

Alima Fri 14-Dec-18 12:00:40

Yes Kitty, she would do anything for her Mick. Did it remind you of Dean and the rape, made it even worse for her. (Still think it went on too long and too early).

sodapop Fri 14-Dec-18 12:20:39

No it portrayed her as irresponsible and stupid. Husband in prison and a small child to look after. Most mothers would see the care and safety of their child as paramount.
Just saying ..........

silverlining48 Fri 14-Dec-18 13:20:46

I gave up eastenders last year because I was totally fed up with all the shouting and unpleasantness (and why is it that none of them appear to have managed to buy a washing machine).
Then last night turned the tv over and it hadn’t quite finished. cue linda in a sillky nightie, she took something out of her hair and plugged it into a computer.....thought she might electrocute, well it’s nearly Christmas isn’t it and someone or other usually dies, but no, we heard some mumbled speech. Couldnt make head or tail but what I do know Is i have no regrets ditching EE after watching it since the first episode in 1983 or was it 1984?
Not that I am the slightest interested but who is Stuart and what is mick doing in prison and whose is the baby that posters mentioned?.. only joking, I really don’t need to know.

gmelon Fri 14-Dec-18 17:30:17

kittylester and alima
Strong and determined do anything for her Mick

Two examples of the opinion I am disturbed about. Thank you for proving my OP.
A woman can be strong and determined, exactly how is that determination a defence against a violent man?

This is exactly my point.

How many women think they can win against a madman with a bit of determination?
I despair.

Stuart slopes off because Linda gets a bit determined. Never gonna happen.

kittylester Fri 14-Dec-18 17:37:23

I also posted that Stuart is a much more complex person than you give him ' credit' for and Linda was gambling on being to handle him, but my internet is very intermittent.

I resent the implication in your last post gmelon.

And I hope this post goes.

gmelon Fri 14-Dec-18 18:12:05

Yes I've noticed the complexity in Stuart.

gmelon Fri 14-Dec-18 18:24:22

I'm very aware of Stuart and his twists in personality.
In real life women aren't able to phychoanalyse a man before deciding on the danger.

gmelon Fri 14-Dec-18 18:29:51

Why would my post go?

Alima Fri 14-Dec-18 18:58:21

Oops, obviously on a completely different wavelength here, I will leave you to your cerebral deliberations. (You do realise this is an ‘Enders thread gm?)

gmelon Fri 14-Dec-18 19:05:11

It is not an Eastenders thread. Eastenders has prompted my OP.
My questioning is about real life.
Why are women continuously fed the misconception of being able to overcome violence from men.

kittylester Fri 14-Dec-18 19:09:15

I hoped my post 'went as my internet is playing silly buggers - not your post.

gmelon Fri 14-Dec-18 19:13:45

Understood kitty smile