Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

The Forgotten Queen of Kew

(10 Posts)
Jomarie Mon 20-May-19 22:35:26

I came across this yesterday whilst doing something else (maybe lurking on Gransnet) - this was about Marianne North a Victorian lady of means who was a fantastic artist - Seriously, whether you like "art" painting or otherwise or history and/or exceptional stories of women then this is well worth catching up with on BBC 4 - she was truly amazing - fortunate in many ways but brave beyond words for her era. I don't think I have ever recommended Gransnetters to watch anything before this but it truly is a wonderful (and true) programme.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 20-May-19 22:41:28

Thank you I meant to record it but forgot will catch up instead.

Labaik Mon 20-May-19 23:39:43

Yes; I saw it whilst channel hopping. Have seen it before but still watched it again. Would love to go to Kew to see the paintings...

travelsafar Tue 21-May-19 08:52:35

Labaik I saw those very paintings last year on a trip to Kew Garden.Like you i saw the program on TV and was so taken with this lady.When i walked into the gallery i had tears in my eyes at the sheer beauty of every single painting.They are vibrant. clear and colourful and run from floor to ceiling in every room, so many by one person, it was amazing.If you get the chance do go i am sure you will love them as i did.

DanniRae Tue 21-May-19 08:59:58

I didn't know about this programme - but think I might have seen it a while ago?
I have been to Kew a few times and always visit Marianne North's paintings. They are amazing and so colourful - they take your breath away! Such a talented artist. I am surprised that she isn't more well known.

ditzyme Tue 21-May-19 09:04:26

Marianne was so talented and a lot of the time her work gets overlooked. I interviewed the matriarch of the North family about twenty years ago now, they own the little hamlet in which the family home sits, just a few houses, but a lovely relaxed feel to it, no pavements or lighting then. It's only a few miles from where I live, I haven't been back since so will have a drive out there sometime.

Jane10 Tue 21-May-19 11:19:24

Thanks for the recommendation. Will certainly look for it.

Jane10 Tue 21-May-19 16:39:57

I started watching this but can't stand it when people talk about things that happened in the past tense using the present tense! Eg 'Marianne walks through the gardens for the first time' etc
I'd love to know more about this fascinating woman but am now so irritated by this stupid and intrusive habit that I think I'll give up. Pah! angry

Day6 Tue 21-May-19 17:00:53

I shall make a point of watching it. It sounds interesting. Thanks for the recommendation.

toscalily Tue 21-May-19 17:23:09

I have put this on my list of things to watch in the next few days. Thank you for recommending the programme.