Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Scarborough

(62 Posts)
trisher Sun 22-Sep-19 21:41:36

Is anyone else watching this? A funny, touching inoffensive comedy in a great Northern tradition. Great to see Stephanie Cole again. Lots of strong quirky Northern women. Love the views of Scarborough, it's a place I love. We went there for holidays when I was little.

Fiachna50 Sun 22-Sep-19 22:28:40

I love it! Yes, the women are brilliant! Im afraid my favourite is Whitby, but do have a happy memory of a childhood holiday in Scarborough.

chaffinch Mon 23-Sep-19 05:08:09

Only seen the first two episodes so far, but thought it was quite enjoyable. Shall keep watching.

Willow500 Mon 23-Sep-19 05:52:22

Yes keep forgetting it's on as we don't watch much BBC but caught up with it last night. I went to college in Scarborough when I was 16 and we often went into town before catching the train home to Bridlington so bringing back lots of memories. Just nice gentle humour.

moggie Mon 23-Sep-19 07:50:20

I’m following this & enjoying it, love the characters especially Stephanie Cole.

kittylester Mon 23-Sep-19 07:59:19

I love it too. I'm pleased to see that the beeb is continuing its gentle, observational comedies. I loved The Cafe, The Detectorists, Mum and this has a similar feel.

janeainsworth Mon 23-Sep-19 08:09:13

I like it too. I think Geraldine, the beleaguered hairdresser dealing with stroppy clients and temperamental staff, is my favourite.
We had a day out in Scarborough this summer - the first time I’d ever been there & really liked it.

I don’t watch much TV & only started watching this because I found out from a Facebook page that Geraldine’s premises is actually in Stockport, my home town.
(It used to be Quayle’s, a haberdashers, on Underbank, for any Stopfordians, reading this. No idea what it is now!)

Auntieflo Mon 23-Sep-19 08:14:17

I forgot to watch the first epsode of Scarborough, so saw it through 'catch up'.
I liked it, set it up to record, and yesterday, I watched the next two episodes, back to back.
DH, pretended he was reading, but he had a little chuckle every now and again.
I love the character Geraldine, but keep seeing her as Mavis!

As Kittylester says, they are gentle, and that's what I need right now.

Harris27 Mon 23-Sep-19 08:29:42

I was looking forward to it watched first episode and thought that better than second. Will keep going with it though as it’s my type of thing. Get sick of doom and gloom telly!

sodapop Mon 23-Sep-19 08:38:33

Stephanie Cole is the star of the show undoubtedly. I used to live in Brid so know the area well which made it quite enjoyable. It is a bit weak I thought, needs a bit more bite.

DanniRae Mon 23-Sep-19 09:00:02

I'm enjoying it too. So pleased to watch a new programme and not turn it off saying "Well I won't be watching that again!" grin

KatyK Mon 23-Sep-19 10:09:19

At last a new comedy that is actually funny.

grannyticktock Sat 05-Oct-19 21:27:57

It rather draws you in, doesn't it? It's not sitcom, it's just gentle comedy drama with some terrific one-liners, delivered almost as throwaway remarks. And great characters and interactions. The nearest thing I can compare it to is Gavin and Stacey, which also took a while to catch on.

jacq10 Sat 05-Oct-19 21:34:15

Last night's episode was just brilliant. For me, it's on a par with Mum. Love all the characters. Visited Scarborough for the day many years ago while holidaying in York to get the feel of an English coastal resort. Unfortunately it rained for most of the day but there was still a bustle about it. Saw my first Punch & Judy show there!!

annsixty Sat 05-Oct-19 21:41:41

I am enjoying it.
I went to Scarborough many years ago and revisited about 6 years ago.
It is a lovely place and I am enjoying the gentle comedy.

blondenana Sat 05-Oct-19 22:54:57

I love it, because i live there, but the episodes are too short, but the views are wonderful,and the places they mention are real places,like Peasholm park, but the pub has had it's name changed it is really called The Newcastle Packet.
One of my sons lives in the street where the mum and daughter live , so saw a lot of the filming
A film is also being made in Bridlington, but forgotten the name of it
It is very nice to see local places ,and makes makes it more interesting to watch

Keeper1 Sat 05-Oct-19 23:03:21

I love it too, find it by chance no on reminder

Calendargirl Sun 06-Oct-19 00:16:24

I enjoy it, but think it’s nothing like Mum, which I thought was a load of twaddle, but I know I’m in the minority with that opinion.

Willow500 Sun 06-Oct-19 06:33:59

We really will have to record this as we're now about 2 episodes behind - keep forgetting it's on! I've just been looking to find out what is being filmed in Brid but other than Dad's Army (which was dire but the locations were brilliant) I can't find anything current. Apparently Daniel Day Lewis's film The Phantom Thread was filmed in Robin Hood's Bay so I'm going to watch that tonight - we stayed in a hostel near there on a school science trip so it might be interesting!

H1954 Sun 06-Oct-19 06:55:21

Yes, I'm watching too! Fabulous scenery and "good clean fun" portrayed in the script, what's not to like? And at least it NOT A REPEAT!

Marelli Sun 06-Oct-19 08:32:11

I enjoy it, too. Was the actress that plays Stephanie Cole's daughter also in Emmerdale (DH watches that ?)?

Maggiemaybe Sun 06-Oct-19 08:57:13

Catherine Tyldesley. She was Eva in Corrie, but she was also in Emmerdale for 2 months (I’ve just googled her, as I didn’t know that). She’s in Strictly at the moment.

Harris27 Sun 06-Oct-19 09:01:07

Kept going with it and I do think it’s getting better. Sick of dull miserable stuff on the telly so this is uplifting yes thumbs up!

Calendargirl Sun 06-Oct-19 09:22:49

I thought the scene with the estate agent the other week was really funny.

Marelli Sun 06-Oct-19 09:40:22

Thanks, Maggiemaybe.