Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Return of Motherland

(20 Posts)
Calendargirl Tue 08-Oct-19 16:10:32

I enjoyed the previous series, but not impressed with last night’s offering. Thought it was rather stupid and tasteless. But there again, that could just be me, as the announcer said at the end that if we can’t wait for next episode it will be on I player.

emmasnan Tue 08-Oct-19 18:08:33

The new character (Meg I think) seemed to draw attention from the old characters who were already funny, with good dialogue.
It was all rather over the top and I didn't enjoy it as much.

Maggiemaybe Tue 08-Oct-19 18:14:55

I enjoyed it. Enough to say I might watch it again in case I’d missed anything - there was a lot going on!

It was Meg-heavy but we’ll probably see more of the old characters now she’s been introduced.

Treebee Tue 08-Oct-19 19:27:55

I enjoyed last night’s episode apart from the peeing and puking.

LullyDully Tue 08-Oct-19 19:37:33

I enjoyed the Alexa jokes. Glad I haven't indulged in one. A technology step too far.

I enjoy the programme, the man reminds me of my dear old brother.

Labaik Tue 08-Oct-19 21:03:12

I missed the beginning and was a bit disappointed. But then, having rewatched it today right from the start I enjoyed it. Agree about the peeing and puking though [although, strangely enough after driving past a coach load of men peeing by the side of the rod last week, I hadn't realised, till my partner told me, that peeing in public was against the law. I though, if you had to go you had to go blush]. Think I'm going to watch the whole series tonight!

jo1book Tue 08-Oct-19 21:51:04

I enjoyed it. Very funny and sharp. Will watch the lot on the Player.

AllotmentLil Tue 08-Oct-19 22:05:13

Didn’t enjoy it at all, having loved it last time. But maybe if we don’t see so much of Meg, as somebody has suggested, it will improve. ??

Zeddy Tue 29-Oct-19 07:36:30

It’s illegal for anyone except a pregnant woman

Eloethan Sat 02-Nov-19 20:29:18

It's reasonably entertaining but I'm not finding it as good as the last series. I really like the character Kevin - he's so hopeless and yet sort of sweet too.

Urmstongran Sat 02-Nov-19 20:39:10

I think it’s gone off the boil.

lemongrove Sat 02-Nov-19 21:42:43

I don’t think it was ever on the boil!

Labaik Tue 19-Nov-19 12:04:07

I didn't realise that 'no mother left behind' was a homage to Black Hawk Down'; only found out when I picked up a dvd of BHD that I'd put on one side as I'd never got round to watching it and felt I should see it....

Maggiemaybe Tue 19-Nov-19 12:11:11

I enjoyed the whole series, though it looks as though I'm in the minority. smile I thought the Hallowe'en and sports day episodes were particularly good (even watched the sports day one twice).

Labaik Tue 19-Nov-19 16:44:28

I loved the first series so much that I probably expected too much from series 2 but I'm going to rewatch it,

Sara65 Tue 19-Nov-19 17:18:34

I really liked the last series, but I think the characters, particularly Julia, have become quite a lot more unpleasant, if I had children at that school I’d be keeping my distance.

Still quite enjoyed it though, I thought the Halloween episode was funny, poor Kevin!

TwiceAsNice Tue 19-Nov-19 18:49:13

I enjoyed it especially the last one when they rented the cottage for the weekend. When he dumped the cooked pig on the floor it was so funny. DD2 and I watch it together and DD1 who works in a school says she knows mothers like Julia!

Maggiemaybe Tue 19-Nov-19 18:57:49

DD2 and I went to a quiz at her boys' school, organised by the PTA, and we agreed that we were both scanning the mums there and identifying the Motherland characters. DH had already told me that in my leggings and boots and new khaki parka I looked like Liz the slatternly one. From the back, maybe! grin

Labaik Tue 19-Nov-19 21:10:47

I'd be the Irish one, I think...

Calendargirl Tue 19-Nov-19 22:17:20

Think the best characters are Kevin and the yummy mummy who’s getting divorced, forgotten her name. I agree Julia doesn’t come across as very nice really.