Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Zadoc the Priest

(19 Posts)
Calendargirl Wed 13-Nov-19 09:12:58

Just listening to this wonderful music on ClassicFM while waiting for my kitchen floor to dry after washing it.
Always think that when it comes up to its crescendo, it’s like finding an itch that is just ready to scratch!
Terry Wogan said the same thing when playing the theme from The Onedin Line, all these years later when I hear it I know what he meant.

Squiffy Wed 13-Nov-19 10:31:32

Calendar Oh dear, I'll now be on YouTube all day and it's your fault! grin

Having listened to Zadoc, I'm now compelled to listen to all the music vids that follow on - and on and on and on!

MawB Wed 13-Nov-19 10:34:06

I could compare it to something else .....blushblushblush

It’s a great piece of music!

DoraMarr Wed 13-Nov-19 10:34:51

I saw a performance of this at Symphony Hall in Birmingham about a year ago- magnificent!

Calendargirl Wed 13-Nov-19 10:35:01

Squiffy

I know what you mean!!!

Calendargirl Wed 13-Nov-19 10:37:17

MawB

Now I hope you’re not lowering the tone......!

?

MawB Wed 13-Nov-19 10:38:31

???

Calendargirl Wed 13-Nov-19 10:41:08

So if this music is played at Charles’ coronation in due course, as I believe it’s a coronation anthem, what will we GN’ers be thinking as he processes solemnly up the aisle at the Abbey?.....

Teetime Wed 13-Nov-19 11:26:07

Indeed it is 'Zadok the Priest and Damon the Prophet annointed Solomon King'- always makes me think of that cheesy 70s singer!

BlueSapphire Wed 13-Nov-19 13:02:58

I know exactly what you mean (and Maw) too!
There is a bit in the cadenza of Schumann's piano concerto which has the same effect on me.....blush

Greyduster Wed 13-Nov-19 13:53:04

There are some wonderful pieces that absolutely lift you off your feet. The opening of Hubert Parry’s “I Was Glad” always does it for me.

Floradora9 Wed 13-Nov-19 18:45:01

I hah an aunt who used to called the piece Kodak the Priest.

BlueSapphire Wed 13-Nov-19 20:25:08

Yes Greyduster, I thought of that piece as well.
And also there is a bit of Tchaikovsky's Romeo and Juliet too.

Fennel Wed 13-Nov-19 21:21:30

And the last 10 minutes of Rachmaninov's second piano concerto. (Full moon and empty arms.)
Also from Elgar's Dream of Gerontius - Praise to the Holiest.
I was in a choir singing this and when it got to this point I couldn't sing for crying. Wait until the choir comes in:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FcpAOWN6d8

M0nica Wed 13-Nov-19 21:51:30

The Baccarole from Tales of Hoffman, Offenbach. It is such seductive piece with threads that move like silk to tangle you up.

If you hear it in context in the opera, it is the music for the end of a party, that was decadent and a bit on an orgy.

Luckygirl Wed 13-Nov-19 22:00:19

Singing Zadok and Bach Magnificat next Saturday in a concert. Splendid music.

Music is full of climaxes - which is why I love to sing!!! smile

Calendargirl Thu 14-Nov-19 10:37:49

Luckygirl

I love to sing too....if only others wanted to listen to me!!!

My singing is best done in an empty house.

Greyduster Thu 14-Nov-19 13:07:30

Me too. I used to have a reasonably good voice, but these days it rumbles around like gravel in a stone tumbler!! There is a choir in our village asking for people to come and “have a go”. I wouldn’t dare! Love choral music of any genre. Respect, Lucky!

Grandma70s Thu 14-Nov-19 13:57:49

I sang in good choirs for 18 years. Too old now. My voice has gone and I couldn't cope with the endless standing.

Bach Magnificat, Luckygirl! Lucky indeed.