Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Our Yorkshire Farm

(49 Posts)
travelsafar Wed 20-Nov-19 17:21:12

What a delightful program. Watched on catch up this afternoon and fell in love with the whole family. The children are soo lucky to have such great parents and such an awesome lifestyle. They are learning skills beyond their age and the whole thing reminds me of my childhood when Dad was a farm worker and us kids mucked in during the school holidays with the harvesting and helping to feed baby lambs and calves. Bought a tear to my ey.smile

craftyone Wed 20-Nov-19 17:24:38

I love that programme too, reminds me of the old days when we were allowed to learn from mistakes. They are a wonderful family

Barmeyoldbat Wed 20-Nov-19 17:46:37

What a wonderful way to bring up children. Loved the bit about dad swapping roles for the say and the bit about cooking dinner in the evening. No messing about with what do you want etc. It was chicken curry for everyone, even the little tot and a glass of water between them to save on washing up. Look forward to the next episode

mumofmadboys Wed 20-Nov-19 18:09:00

I met this family when I visited their farm for refreshments when I did the coast to coast walk. Lovely farm. Beautiful location to live

NotTooOld Wed 20-Nov-19 18:13:45

How on earth does that Amanda do it? I've been reading her books (the third one is out now). Hands-on farming, Nine children to look after, making cream teas, cooking breakfasts for holiday visitors in the shepherds hut, looking after horses, renovating another house, appearing on TV, giving talks. I'm full of admiration. I thought I was hard done by when I was working full time and looking after two children!

mumofmadboys Wed 20-Nov-19 20:16:37

I meant to say Lovely family not farm!!

Septimia Wed 20-Nov-19 22:04:28

I told my DS to watch it - to see how children should be brought up! It's a delight to watch, especially the way in which the children look after each other but without making it seem a chore. And they do well at school.

We lived in the countryside from the time he was 9 and he, with the other local children, wandered all over the place in groups, looking after each other.

I think he'd love to bring his DD up like that.

merlotgran Wed 20-Nov-19 22:32:47

I love this programme. The relationship between Rueben and Sid (my favourite) is a joy to behold.

Although the focus is naturally on the children, the Owens are successful farmers, dedicated to the wellbeing of their livestock despite the sometimes harsh weather conditions.

I'm looking forward to watching tonight's episode on Catch Up.

Labaik Thu 21-Nov-19 00:01:13

I hadn't realised she wrote books. She also gives talks; will be at our local WI soon but I can't go as I'm not a member. Must be one of those women that thrives on being pregnant. And she looks SO young as well....

Jabberwok Thu 21-Nov-19 14:24:13

I enjoy this programme, but can't help but feel that
,like the Chateau, there is more here than meets the eye! Washing, ironing cooking and cleaning for 11 people would surely taken up every minute of every day! never mind cream teas, running the farm, shopping, and all the other unexpected jobs/problems that turn up in most families. I suspect they have far more help than is obvious as something doesn't quite add up here!!

Calendargirl Thu 21-Nov-19 16:04:53

Have to agree Jabberwok.
Have not watched the prog, but know about it. DH watches it. He said the kids were washing up with their wellies on, nothing wrong with that, but he reckons there is much more help behind the scenes.
But it makes for feel good tv.

tiredoldwoman Thu 21-Nov-19 16:14:53

I love this programme too , what a happy lovely family, greetin' and girnin' is not allowed ! I felt so sorry for Clive having to struggle up the hills on foot after the theft of their quad bikes - him and the dog flopped down to rest together .
No greetin' or girnin' from either . His legs are bothering him and worrying me !

Jabberwok Thu 21-Nov-19 16:44:49

Don't want to be down beat, but why didn't they secure their quad bikes as it's a well known fact that they are vulnerable? DH's cousin had his stolen some years ago, its replacement is secured under jail like conditions! Why didn't their dogs bark? Why not use the horse in the first place, no need for shoes on soft ground! Again, slightly not adding up?!

NotTooOld Thu 21-Nov-19 16:50:12

You cynical lot! But I have to agree, the workload would seem to be impossible.

NotTooOld Thu 21-Nov-19 16:52:44

I wonder if it's like Escape to the Chateau? There we see Dick and Angel, mostly just the two of them, gamely struggling on and then suddenly there are platoons of staff in the background. Good telly, though.

Jabberwok Thu 21-Nov-19 17:30:59

I've a feeling it is like the Chateau which gives the impression of a two man band, but actually has quite a bit of surreptitious back up!!!! They both make good telly though!

Jabberwok Thu 21-Nov-19 17:31:51

Sorry, 'person' band!!!!

EllanVannin Thu 21-Nov-19 17:40:55

I remember this programme when she was pregnant with some of those children and she still mucked in regardless. It's a brilliant way of bringing up children but you have to have great parents such as they are. Another great natural programme like the Chateau one, no side to any of them.

travelsafar Fri 22-Nov-19 07:41:48

Oh i never thought of that Jabberwok but you are probably right. Amanda always has lovely shiny hair which looks freshly washed and there is usually a bit of make up too. If you were doing all that they do i guess you would probably need some help even part time. Thinking back to my life as a child on a farm,my mum sometimes looked worn out due to life being quite hard. My illusion is now totally burst!!!!!!lol

Calendargirl Fri 22-Nov-19 07:52:06

DH also commented about all her bangles when she was clipping sheep. Surprised they didn’t get tangled up in their horns!

MamaCaz Fri 22-Nov-19 08:49:31

I have always loved watching the Owens, and love the way the children are raised. Amanda and Clive's seeming calmness and unflappability are great!

My own children had a slightly unconventional childhood, and lots of freedom, but nothing compared with the Owen brood. For starters, I never managed to get enough (any) chores out of them. I wish I knew how they did that!

I shall carry on imagining that they manage the farm alone, with the children pulling their weight. Theirs is the life that I would like to have had - though perhaps with not quite so many children, and if I was the unflappable sort, like Amanda seems to be! grin

Teetime Fri 22-Nov-19 09:24:19

I love this programme there is something very Darling Buds of May about it. What lucky children.

Jabberwok Fri 22-Nov-19 10:20:38

Maybe? Maybe not!

merlotgran Fri 22-Nov-19 10:34:44

I remember Farmers Weekly reporting on some health and safety concerns regarding the children last year. There were complaints to H&S executive apparently.

Whenever I gasp at some of the things the children get up to, especially the very young ones, I remind myself there's a camera crew just a few feet away!

Great telly though.

storynanny Fri 22-Nov-19 12:15:47

I did wonder who was looking after the 2,3 and 5 year olds when they were both out on the hills with the motorbike son. Apparently the eldest daughter who presumably did some child care , is now at university.
Can’t decide how I feel about the obvious lack of individual attention the children get especially in school work. Is it a good thing or not I just can’t decide
I also have read that there is concern about the health and safety farm laws they are breaking
But I love the general idea of their lovely outdoor healthy lifestyle.