Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Parasite

(24 Posts)
Labaik Thu 13-Feb-20 13:52:02

Thought we aught to see it with it winning so many awards. Sort of glad I did albeit finding it too long and more gory than expected. Not sure why it won the Oscar though, other than the fact there are a lot of digs aimed at North Korea. Bit like The Favourite; good in it's way but not really entertaining [imo]. Had it been a Wes Anderson film [which is what it reminded me of] I'm not sure it would have even been nominated.

rosecarmel Thu 13-Feb-20 15:45:53

I've not seen it yet- I did see 1917 and wasn't impressed- Loved Dunkirk tho-

QuaintIrene Thu 13-Feb-20 16:47:41

That’s a shame. I like Korean films a lot so I will give it a go.

TerriBull Thu 13-Feb-20 17:20:21

We hope to go and see it next week, loved 1917, shame it didn't win best film. The Sunday Times and The Guardian have heaped masses of praise on "Parasite" can't think they're both wrong. We did get a taster of it when it was amongst the previews shown, must give it a go.

Labaik Thu 13-Feb-20 18:45:51

QuaintIrene; please let me know what you think. Another one of the directors films was on tv the other night; Snowstorm. I haven't seen it yet though. Having now read what Parasite was actually about I now get where it's coming from but it did drag on a bit. I loved 1917 and wanted it to win everything [albeit being a bit fed up of the spate of war films over the past few years].

QuaintIrene Thu 13-Feb-20 20:54:50

I will, Labaik. Missed Snowstorm. Gah ! Will try and find it somewhere.

Labaik Thu 13-Feb-20 22:53:31

I'm hoping it's on catchup. Tilda Swinson [Swinton?] is in a lot of weird films these days [mind you she's always in weird ones thinking about it]. Anyways; she's in it. Parasite has actually got me thinking. I think the problem sometimes with subtitles is you have to concentrate so hard on them you miss the finer details of the film and, being me, doing so filled up bits of my brain that should be working out what was going on. Also, I try not to read up too much about a film before I see it but in this case wish I had [albeit missing out spoilers]. It was too long though. But most films are.

Labaik Thu 13-Feb-20 23:03:37

Darn it; it was called Snowpiercer and was on Film 4.

QuaintIrene Fri 14-Feb-20 00:24:54

Snowpiercer. Right, got that !
I like Tilda Swinton. She was fab in Orlando. I know what you mean about subtitles, if it’s a French language film l can follow it pretty well but not something else. I ignore reviews in the main, too many spoilers sometimes.

Labaik Fri 14-Feb-20 00:50:30

It's funny you should mention Orlando because I was only just thinking about that film. I video'd it years ago but never got round to watching it. I saw a strange film recently with her in called The Souvenir. Didn't like it at all until I watched the 'making of' bit on the dvd so rewatched it twice. Snowpiercer isn't available on Ch 4 catchup now; annoyingly I'd told other people to watch it and then missed it myself. Might get the dvd; it seems to have the same theme as Parasite ie class/society etc. I do like 'discovering' new directors and then watching their earlier work.

QuaintIrene Fri 14-Feb-20 01:56:41

Oh, too bad . It’s on Netflix. Haven’t got that. Buy too many films as it is without subscriptions. Just ordered Colette with Keira Knightly. Not sure if it’s a good choice but I like the subject matter. She was interesting.
I write Directors names down or I forget. Names won’t stick for some reason.
I do like strange, surreal stuff if I’m in the mood. Kenneth Anger springs to mind.

Labaik Fri 14-Feb-20 11:17:57

I haven't got Netflix either. Going to HMV today so I'll see if they have got it. I had a Guillermo del Toro phase once, having seen Pans Labyrinth. It was fascinating watching the films he made with an embryonic theme starting off with The Devils Backbone, Cronos etc.

humptydumpty Fri 14-Feb-20 12:12:34

The film is called 'Snowpiercer' for anyone whose looking for it smile

Labaik Fri 14-Feb-20 12:34:43

Have you seen it?

Labaik Fri 14-Feb-20 18:16:04

Annoyingly not available on dvd according to HMV. Just have to hope Film4 show it again.

rosecarmel Fri 14-Feb-20 18:49:26

I enjoyed Snowpiercer-

Labaik Fri 14-Feb-20 23:09:43

I think seeing both films would give me a greater understanding of Parasite. Mark Kermode said there was going to be a black and white version of Parasite; from what Isaw in the advert I think Snowpiercer is in black and white. The more I can't get to see it the more desperate I am to watch it....

QuaintIrene Sat 15-Feb-20 01:39:51

They probably will, Labaik. They seem to come around a lot quicker with so many channels nowadays. It’s available on Amazon. Bit dear, though. I need a windfall !

Riverwalk Thu 20-Feb-20 07:41:50

I really enjoyed Parasite. It's dark and quirky and not overlong - I didn't look at my watch once.

Mind you I was in a very comfy reclining seat with a table for my glass of wine and nibbles!

Labaik Thu 20-Feb-20 13:16:18

It's certainly made me think a lot and I do want to rewatch it when it's on dvd so I can take more of the detail in. Quite often, with films like that, I have to watch them several times, a recent example being The Souvenir'.

Grammaretto Fri 28-Feb-20 18:57:25

Just seen Parasite at last. Still a packed cinema despite it being the last few days.
I quite enjoyed it. a pitch black fairytale describes it rather well.
I found it thought provoking and hope I don't have nightmares.
A commentary on the unfairness of society - amongst other things.

QuaintIrene Sun 23-Aug-20 09:41:58

Snowpiercer is free to watch on Amazon Prime. It’s fantastic.
Well worth waiting for.

Pittcity Wed 28-Oct-20 16:41:52

Parasite is now included with Amazon Prime.
I really enjoyed it.

Jane43 Wed 28-Oct-20 16:47:25

Thank you so much. We have been waiting to see this.