Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Kate and Koji

(47 Posts)
petitpois Wed 18-Mar-20 20:20:53

Thoughts? I'm not sure I'm finding it that funny but to be honest anything with a vague note of humour is welcome at this point. Anyone else liking it?

Calendargirl Wed 18-Mar-20 20:24:24

Thought it looked a bit daft from the trailers, not bothered to watch.

Pittcity Wed 18-Mar-20 20:40:37

It's the canned laughter that has stopped me watching.

Charleygirl5 Wed 18-Mar-20 21:55:27

Pittcity I could not agree more. It was mildly amusing but I am not sure if I will bother watching next week's episode.

Jjen70 Wed 18-Mar-20 22:04:40

Brenda Blethyn was excellent, after all her years of playing Vera, it was nice to see her in something more lighthearted.

merlotgran Wed 18-Mar-20 22:07:27

I suppose it might grow on us. Really good sit-coms often get off to a shaky start.

sodapop Wed 18-Mar-20 22:07:41

It had its moments I thought but felt contrived. It was nice to have something even mildly funny as a relief from constant CV gloom.

EllanVannin Wed 18-Mar-20 22:12:19

It was a diversion more than anything but will watch it again to see what happens to the " doctor ".

Brenda Blethyn is a brilliant actress who's been very underrated to my mind. I loved her in the film Little Voice, as Mrs Hoff, the name-plate on her flat was F.Hoff, her husband's initial which always made me laugh.

SalsaQueen Wed 18-Mar-20 22:31:23

I saw the trailer and thought it looked really lame, so I didn't watch the programme. Brenda Blethyn is such a brilliant actress, I can't believe she's in something like this.

shysal Thu 19-Mar-20 07:39:13

I watched the first half hour or so, but I found her character a bit like Alf Garnett, leaving me uncomfortable. I may stick with it in case it improves, as I gather the pair form a close bond.

Lilypops Thu 19-Mar-20 07:58:27

I thought it was just awful , not funny , and the canned laughter put me right off, I can’t believe Brenda Blethyn would do this ,

CassieJ Thu 19-Mar-20 10:18:49

I didn't like it. I really dislike canned laughter, so that put me off to start with. I managed watching until the first break, then gave up.
I really like Brenda Blethyn, so was disappointed with this.

Eglantine21 Thu 19-Mar-20 10:36:55

Can I just say that it’s actually meant (I think) to make us a bit uncomfortable, in a fairly gentle, humorous sort of way.

It poked fun at a whole raft of misconceptions and prejudices and, yes, a bit of political digging.

I enjoyed some of the impatient retorts, but not the canned laughter?

callgirl1 Fri 20-Mar-20 00:34:03

It`s supposed to be filmed in front of a studio audience, so it shouldn`t be canned laughter.

Pittcity Fri 20-Mar-20 15:38:06

The laughter was edited badly then.

crazyH Fri 20-Mar-20 15:41:27

Expected more funny lines, but ok.

Happygirl79 Fri 20-Mar-20 16:16:17

I thought it was similar to 'Last of the summer wine'
I didn't like that at all
I only watched it because I do like Brenda (Vera) but won't follow the series

mcem Fri 20-Mar-20 17:10:53

Quite enjoyed it and laughed aloud a couple of times. Liked Medium.
Looking forrwward to seeing her attitudes changing.

BlueBelle Fri 20-Mar-20 19:08:32

It reminded me of Alf garnet which I despised I thought it was pretty awful came from an era I had hoped had gone
Not very funny I understand the concept and how it ll all come out good blah blah blah but in the meantime it wasn’t nice

Caro6699 Fri 20-Mar-20 19:13:30

I thought it was quite funny and will watch it again.?

DanniRae Fri 20-Mar-20 20:24:06

Mr R and I liked it! grin

Hopikins Fri 20-Mar-20 20:41:09

Really loved it, Brenda Blethyn is always a joy to watch. Plus I think with all new comedies you need to watch at least three episodes to be able to judge it fully. As merlotgran said many
great sit-coms had a shaky starts.

J52 Fri 20-Mar-20 20:56:06

A bit lame. I like Brenda Bletham, but her accent was all over the place, sometimes she was Vera, sometimes not.

Don’t think I’ll bother.

Eloethan Sat 21-Mar-20 23:08:57

Well, I seem to be in the minority here. I thought it was good and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

I think all the actors were excellent and many of the lines were funny.

I really like Brenda Blethyn anyway. She was great in Mike Leigh's film Secrets and Lies and I think her accent in that is similar to her one in Kate and Koji - though the character she plays is very different.

mcem Sun 22-Mar-20 12:50:03

On the subject of tv comedy......
Fleabag was praised to the heavens and gained awards.
When I watched an episode a while back I really didn't like it but decided to try again with series1 ep1. That confirmed my earlier feelings.
Lots of posts on GN recommending it but it's not for me. BB's new comedy appeals more!