Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

National Theatre screenings.

(9 Posts)
Nandalot Thu 02-Apr-20 15:32:06

The National Theatre is screening it’s ‘live’ cinema performances on YouTube on. Thursday night at 7pm. Tonight's is ‘One man two guvnors’ which we saw at the cinema and found hilarious. Can recommend if anyone has the facility to watch it. DD has just given us a fire stick for the tv which I am hoping will work for us.

Labaik Thu 02-Apr-20 15:33:32

Yes; I'm really looking forward to it....

Bellanonna Fri 03-Apr-20 03:53:00

Thoroughly enjoyed it, Corden was great

MawB Fri 03-Apr-20 04:52:38

I watched it too and loved it.
It brought back memories of seeing it on the stage with Paw years ago when our jaws just ached with laughing.

Last night as I watched the audience on their feet at the end, I thought sadly how theatres everywhere would be dark and silent. What is our world coming to?
But how good to be able to still laugh !

notnecessarilywiser Fri 03-Apr-20 07:59:59

It's available to watch for 7 days, if anyone missed it last night.

I couldn't take to it, sadly.

Cunco Fri 03-Apr-20 08:54:11

It is a great idea by the National Theatre; and one that will generate charity donations for the theatre at this difficult time. The Royal Opera House and Andrew Lloyd Webber (musicals) are also putting free performances on youtube.

My wife and I were disappointed by 'One man, two govners' after all the hype. We had seen the original play on which it is based years ago and found the original side-splitting. We saw the modernised version at a local theatre and were disappointed and we were again last night. Corden and the cast were good, as you would expect from the NT, but why did it need to be modernised (to the 1960's) and as it was, why not use some songs of the 1960's at the scene changes rather than the increasingly tedious 'modern' versions'?

We are clearly in the minority on this play so don't let us put anyone off watching it. If you haven't seen it before, maybe this will reduce expectations and, expecting less, you will love it!

Blinko Fri 03-Apr-20 09:01:27

We didn't watch last evening because of the clap at 8pm. We'll probably watch on Saturday evening when there's naff all on TV.

Jane43 Fri 03-Apr-20 09:54:22

I’m glad to hear it is available for 7 days on You Tube. My friend and I are always looking for things to see at the theatre and when I saw a summary of OMTG I thought it sounded different and we decided to go and see it at The Grand theatre in Wolverhampton. We enjoyed it so much, James Corden was brilliant and I thought my friend was going to collapse from laughing so much, people in the surrounding seats were laughing at her laughing so much. It was shortly before JC went off to America so we were glad to have seen it and agreed it was one of the best productions we’ve seen. I will watch it again over the weekend.

MiniMoon Fri 03-Apr-20 09:55:39

I thought it was an absolute hoot. I had a good laugh, and it did me a power of good.
I will look out for future productions from The National Theatre.

What a good idea.