Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Ladies in Black on Netflix.

(9 Posts)
travelsafar Sun 05-Apr-20 08:45:13

Watched this last night night, it was so lovely a gentle story of life based arounf the staff in a dress department in a store. Set in the 1950's in Australia. Pure escapism from the world of today. Loved it, and would highly recommend

travelsafar Sun 05-Apr-20 08:46:32

If you do watch it, check out the beautiful dresses, shoes, handbags and hairstyles the staff and customers wore, pure feminity smile

fatgran57 Mon 06-Apr-20 06:07:19

Saw this a while back, had read the book and then really enjoyed the movie. Highly recommend!

SueH49 Mon 06-Apr-20 06:18:47

Hubby and I went to see it in the cinema when it came out. I didn't think he would enjoy it but he did so very much. It was just a nice story that one could enjoy without bad language.

It is one I would watch again.

Ginny42 Mon 06-Apr-20 06:19:42

I've been wanting something to watch, but find I can cry at the least thing at the moment. I've been watching a serial which I thought a gentle watch at this stressful time when I don' t need anything to make me cry!

Then I looked up the actors' biographies to discover that the leading man is killed off so won't be watching up to that point. Won't name it so as not to spoil it for others.

I'll try Ladies in Black. Thank you for the recommendation travelsofar.

seacliff Sat 11-Apr-20 19:13:23

I am loving this tonight, thanks for the recommendation. Really well done. Just a great bit of escapism, perfect to take your mind off current events. I must get the book too.

Jane10 Sat 11-Apr-20 20:33:32

Saw this recommendation and am really glad I checked it out. A lovely refreshing change of story, pace and setting. I wish it was a series!

craftyone Mon 13-Apr-20 12:58:33

I loved it, I have 3 dresses in that style, I may be brave enough to wear them this summer, very nostalgic film

Jane43 Mon 13-Apr-20 14:15:15

I enjoyed this very much, a nostalgic and uncomplicated story with no swearing or violence. Thanks travelsafar for recommending it.