Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Jay Blades' Home Fix.

(13 Posts)
shysal Thu 21-May-20 14:24:12

This is a new series starting next week on BBC1, weekdays at 10 am. I have set it to record, but I don't know whether I can bear to watch it! It will contain archive material from the likes of Tommy Walsh and Monty Don, but I can't take to Jay. I wonder whether he will show us how to add drippy coloured paint to one leg of a chair or table!
Anyone plan to watch?

MerylStreep Thu 21-May-20 14:41:10

Shysal
Totally agree Re Jay and his paint work.
I looked at his website some time ago and he had a garden chair ( claiming to be by him) I saw the woman refurb that chair. The reason I remember it was because the upholstery material was beautiful.

Hanky16 Thu 28-May-20 21:23:52

I so agree about Jay Blades. When he is in the Repair Shop, you rarely see him do anything but turn up when folk come to collect their treasure, these having been restored by experts. Now having watched Home Fix I know why. He is useless at DIY. Doesn't finish anything off properly. He covered a headboard and left the back with all the covering material hanging loose. He demonstrated drilling some holes in a piece of wood held up in front of his face. How dangerous is that. What a shambles of a programme. Luckily I have a lovely husband who is brilliant at DIY so perhaps I am spoilt

Chewbacca Thu 28-May-20 21:29:54

I watched the 2 episodes of this last night on catch up and i have to say tht I wasn't that impressed either. It seems to be a mash up of other renovation/reclamation programmes, nothing original. Jay Blades is truly rubbish at DIY and there was no way he'd inspire anyone to "have a go" judging from this programmes examples.

Auntieflo Thu 28-May-20 22:51:27

I watched it this morning, while knitting.
It was rubbish, and as Chewbacca said, a mish mash of old programmes. Some well over 20 years old!

I wouldn't give any of his DIY skills house room.

specki4eyes Sat 20-Jun-20 21:27:37

Wherever did they find Jay Blades? He was incompetent on Money for Nothing (drippy paint on a chair leg!) and he's even less productive on the Repair Shop. He does nothing except put on his leather apron and cap and complains if anyone asks him to help! Then he muscles in on the reveals which are the result of hard work by true crafts people. He can't even speak correctly.

vickymeldrew Sat 20-Jun-20 21:35:18

Jay Blades was on Richard Osman’s House of Games recently. Embarrassingly bad.

aggie Sat 20-Jun-20 21:52:05

He made a stupid clumsy thing to go on the arm of a chair to hold a cup , it was so rough I thought it would mark the chair

FarNorth Sat 20-Jun-20 22:05:28

Thanks for the recommendations of what not to watch. grin

Luckylegs Sat 20-Jun-20 23:40:08

I’ve never understood what he is there for on Repair Shop and I’m so relieved to find others who think alike. He has his fancy leather apron and he does meeting and greeting and handing over the work that the other fantastic people have carried out! I’ve never seen him do anything himself and haven’t seen any other programmes he’s on but I bet he infuriates the experts when he takes the praise for their work. Someone must like him if they’ve given him another programme though.

I rant about him all the time we’re watching the Repair Shop, so glad I’m not alone!

travelsafar Sun 21-Jun-20 10:37:39

Anyone remember Barry Bucknell who had a tv prog years ago. I remember mum and dad watching this. If i recall correctly he was revamping an old house and showing viewers how to do this. Excellent carpentry skills were his trade mark.

ninathenana Sun 21-Jun-20 10:51:20

DH who is very good at DIY thinks Jay is laughable. I don't understand why he loves to paint one chair leg pink or green. What's that all about ?
I'm on TRS fan page on FB and people won't have a bad word said about him.
"He's there to make the public feel at ease, to meet and greet and tie it all together" is the consensus. So why when people come to collect does he say "shall we show you what we've done" you did nothing mate !

FarNorth Sun 21-Jun-20 14:28:06

Barry Bucknell was very skillful.