Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Men At The Barre (Royal Ballet)

(10 Posts)
Witzend Fri 29-May-20 14:43:21

Did anyone else see this the other night, BBC4? About male dancers at the RB. Very interesting - we both enjoyed it.

TwiceAsNice Fri 29-May-20 16:15:19

I did mean to record it and forgot. On the same channel was Firedance about a dance show with Gorka and Karen from Strictly. It was the same series I think . I enjoyed that

MawB Fri 29-May-20 16:26:26

Absolutely amazing
The talent of those young men was just extraordinary. As the chap who had danced with Nureyev said, if he had lived today, he would not have been as brilliant as some of them.
I was just a little bit sorry they focused solely on London with no mention of Birmingham Royal Ballet, whose relatively newish current Director is the wonderful Carlos Acosta.

GrandmaMoira Fri 29-May-20 16:49:12

Yes, I watched it. I've also been watching some of the ballets being put on Facebook/Youtube by the English National Ballet.

Witzend Fri 29-May-20 18:52:01

IMO Nureyev would still have been a superstar, though - such an electric presence on stage. I did see him perform just once.

There was an brilliant TV drama about how he came to defect a year or so ago - I recorded it. The young actor who played him was so extraordinarily like him, you had to wonder whether there was a blood connection somewhere.

BBbevan Sat 30-May-20 15:18:08

Absolutely loved it. Then I have seen Matthew Bourne’s Swan Lake 3 times and have it on video. Wonderful to do the ironing to.

westendgirl Sat 30-May-20 15:22:42

Splendid programme . It's well worth doing a catch up on this.

I would also like to recommend this week's play from the National Theatre. Very funny, superb set and very good acting. Another not to be missed .

westendgirl Sat 30-May-20 15:23:51

Sorry, should have said it is " This House " and is on You Tube.

Grandma70s Sat 30-May-20 15:40:50

I’m have always been steeped in ballet, and am surprised anyone still thinks there is any “stigma” attached to male dancers.

Witzend, you are absolutely right about Nureyev. He would still be a huge star if he were around today. I saw a lot of his performances in the 1960s (not so many later as I moved out of London). He was phenomenal. Anyone with technical knowledge knew that his technique was less perfect than that of, say, Erik Bruhn or Anthony Dowell - but he was still by far the greater dancer. There is much more to Ballet than the steps! He was, as you say, an electric presence.

I enjoyed the programme. I’m not up to date with the ballet world now, so was pleased to see new names.

(Did any of you see The Cellist, an amazing ballet about Jacqueline du Pré. Her cello is portrayed by a male dancer. Most original and compelling, if a bit too long. It was streamed on YouTube last night. Still available, I think.)

Alishka Sat 30-May-20 18:37:02

witzend I remember that! I've yet to watch this new programme and also the plays from The National Theatre. So much to watch, so much to hear on R4, makes lockdown so much less painful.