Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Anyone like Ella Fitzgerald?

(24 Posts)
Sparklefizz Sat 06-Jun-20 12:03:31

There's a great documentary on Ella Fitzgerald's life which includes a lot of her music on BBC iPlayer. I have just watched it and thoroughly enjoyed it. If you like her music, I recommend it.

Chewbacca Sat 06-Jun-20 12:05:26

Me! Got loads of her music on CD, LPs and cassette tapes. Thanks for the head's up Sparklefizz.

merlotgran Sat 06-Jun-20 12:08:07

Saw it last weekend on BBC4, Sparklefizz. What a hard life she had before she became famous.

Sparklefizz Sat 06-Jun-20 12:09:02

Hello to another Ella fan Chewbacca. I am just thinking I might go onto Amazon and treat myself to another of her CDs to enjoy while in lockdown. grin

Sparklefizz Sat 06-Jun-20 12:09:56

She did, didn't she merlot. I thought it was very interesting.

TerriBull Sat 06-Jun-20 12:11:01

Oh my God yes she was wonderful, what a voice! which I discovered a few years ago when a friend put together a compilation tape for us of her singing Cole Porter.

I did watch the documentary, like other black singers, I remember reading Billie Holliday's biography, the segregation and racism both her Ella had to put up with was appalling.

Anniebach Sat 06-Jun-20 12:15:32

I watched it, she was magic

youtu.be/nP-8dzS1_rM

cavewoman Sat 06-Jun-20 12:19:46

Been hooked since 'Summertime'

Sparklefizz Sat 06-Jun-20 12:23:50

Thanks for that link Annie - a beautiful song with beautiful lyrics and beautifully sung!

EllanVannin Sat 06-Jun-20 12:42:19

Love her music. In fact I'll go on ebay and see if I can get a CD of her most popular songs.
I received a CD this morning of Tony Bennet's duets with other singers. Easy listening.

Smileless2012 Sat 06-Jun-20 12:47:13

Love her, so thanks for the info Sparklefizz.

Loislovesstewie Sat 06-Jun-20 12:49:02

I saw her live in about 1983, with the Count Basie Orchestra. Both absolutely marvellous.

Sparklefizz Sat 06-Jun-20 13:07:05

Oh Lois, lucky you!

Kalu Sat 06-Jun-20 13:14:39

Yes, a big fan along with Sarah Vaughn and Billie Holiday. Wonderful music. An interesting documentary about Ella Fitzgerald and her early life.

Loislovesstewie Sat 06-Jun-20 13:36:58

I was also lucky enough to see Oscar Peterson, another wonderful musician and also he came across as having a lovely personality. Happy days!

Loislovesstewie Sat 06-Jun-20 13:41:57

Actually Count Basie also appeared to be very affable, very happy to engage with his audience and not pretentious at all. When I think about some performers and their manners !

Lilypops Sat 06-Jun-20 13:44:07

My Ella songs are. Manhattan. and. Every time we say goodbye,
What a voice.

Fennel Sun 07-Jun-20 12:42:48

She's one of my favourites too. I'll try to find the programme on BBCiplayer.
And especially when she sings with Louis Armstrong. who I like even more - so sad when he died.

Anniebach Sun 07-Jun-20 13:03:43

The evening the BBC showed ‘Ella Fitzgerald’ it was followed by ‘Jazz Divas Gold’. Sara Vaughan, Cleo Lane, Peggy Lee and
more. It was a joy .

BBC1 Saturday 30th May

Bakingmad0203 Sun 07-Jun-20 13:14:07

I ‘ve loved Ella Fitzgerald ever since I was a teenager. While I was painting my bedroom yellow and was listening to Family Favourites her voice came on the radio and I was hooked!
I love jazz. It’s so joyful

grannysyb Sun 07-Jun-20 13:32:00

Love her, it was a very good programme. My favourite is also Every time we say goodbye.

Jane43 Wed 10-Jun-20 10:01:18

This has escaped my attention, I will look for it this evening, than you. The BBC music programmes are very good, I have watched some several times, I watched the Eric Clapton one yesterday. I wish they would make one about Billie Holliday. I often go on the iPlayer and click on ‘Music’ under the ‘Categories‘ section. I am currently rewatching the Ken Burns History Of Country Music Series. These programmes are worth the licence fee for us, when we have to start paying it again that is.

Bathsheba Wed 10-Jun-20 10:07:56

Oh thanks Sparklefizz I will definitely watch this. I love Ella Fitzgerald, she's one of my regular requests to Alexa, along with Nina Simone. And thanks as well to Annie for mentioning the following programme, Jazz Divas Gold.

That's my viewing sorted for tonight then!

Fennel Wed 10-Jun-20 14:17:45

I watched it last night and was fascinated - so many things I didn't know about her.
She had an amazing voice.