Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Downton Abbey interrupted?

(19 Posts)
shysal Thu 16-Jul-20 07:55:29

Does anyone know what is happening to the screening of this? The ITV3 showing of the programmes right from the start have been great, thoroughly enjoyable. However, it doesn't feature in the TV magazine for that channel any more. The final series is coming to ITV1 on Sunday but the story doesn't seem to follow on. It mentions Mary's wedding arrangements when on ITV3 she has only just met her possible future husband.
Any idea what is going on?

lemongrove Thu 16-Jul-20 08:50:32

I don’t know Shysal but as a Downton devotee ?I need to look into this asap.?

Luckygirl Thu 16-Jul-20 08:53:04

At the start of lockdown I binge watched Downton on Netflix. It is splendidly acted - Maggie Smith at her best - I am sure the part was written with her in mind.

Beechnut Thu 16-Jul-20 08:58:44

I am a newbie to Downton. What went on between Mary and Edith or is it just a sibling thing?

MamaCaz Thu 16-Jul-20 08:59:39

OH and I have really enjoyed watching the re-run of Downton every weekday evening, and will be very disappointed if they don't complete the series that has been on this week!

I imagine we might be able to watch any missing episodes online, but it's not the same!

MamaCaz Thu 16-Jul-20 09:24:55

I see what you mean - ITV3's schedule for tonight is showing Agathe Christie's Poirot, not Downton !!! shock

Beechnut Thu 16-Jul-20 09:34:23

I think it’s back on itv3 next Thursday 23rd

shysal Thu 16-Jul-20 10:06:13

Oh yes, Beechnut, I didn't look that far ahead. That is good news! Thank you.

Calendargirl Thu 16-Jul-20 10:15:09

Beechnut

I will try and fill you in on the Mary and Edith scenario.

Basically, poor Edith has always been the ‘ugly duckling’ of the three sisters, whereas Mary has always been considered the beauty.

I have always found Mary to be snobbish, arrogant, very full of herself, and takes every opportunity to have a go at Edith.

It seems to have been assumed that Edith would end up as an old maid, looking after her elderly parents in their dotage.

Keep watching!

Anniebach Thu 16-Jul-20 10:21:43

Poor Edith, even her parents assume she will be an old maid,

my 23 year old granddaughter has started watching Downton,
my younger daughter asked her if she was enjoying it, her
reply ? ‘Yes very much, I love Violet she reminds me of
Grannie’ ! ! ! !

Beechnut Thu 16-Jul-20 11:05:52

Thank you Calendargirl. I will.

I’m enjoying that I can watch everyday. I love their dresses, all that beading.

Calendargirl Thu 16-Jul-20 15:21:15

I watched all the original series, but like so many other programmes, felt the time was right for it to end when it did as it had lost its way a bit.

I have so enjoyed the repeats on ITV3. It has brightened up Lockdown, something easy to watch after grim news and statistics, and am surprised how I had forgotten various scenarios,

I shall miss it when it finally ends again.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 16-Jul-20 17:50:38

Another Downton fan here, I have been watching reruns of Heartbeat and then Downton every evening in kitchen as I prepare dinner. I will
really miss it.

I love the clothes, the houses and the antics both above and below stairs.

Justwidowed Thu 16-Jul-20 18:11:49

I've really enjoyed Downton. The next series 6 starts next Thursday on ITV3 but episodes 1 &2 are being shown on ITV 1 on Sunday,so they are showing the same episodes as ITV3 will show on the following Thursday and Friday. Seems a bit silly to me .

morethan2 Tue 28-Jul-20 22:20:10

I’ve been watching, it’s my comfort. I’ve also been watching ‘the fugitive’ there’s something about these reruns that are comforting in times of stress.

Calendargirl Mon 17-Aug-20 14:29:26

Well, watched the last ever Downton last night, (again), and surprised how many bits I had forgotten.

What I hadn’t forgotten was how Edith finally got her man, and trumped her sister, the ghastly Lady Mary, by becoming a Marchioness, while poor old Mary ended up with a used car salesman for a husband.

Justice prevailed!

Summerlove Mon 17-Aug-20 14:40:12

Oh that’s a little harsh on poor old Henry! Let alone my beloved Tom!

Millie22 Mon 17-Aug-20 14:47:52

Loved watching Edith's wedding again last night and Anna having her baby. She finally called her husband John and not "Mr Bates'.

Calendargirl Mon 17-Aug-20 15:17:57

Summerlove

Oh that’s a little harsh on poor old Henry! Let alone my beloved Tom!

Oh, nothing wrong with Henry or Tom, I hope the car business took off for their sakes, it’s just that Mary was always such a ghastly snob, wanting a husband who was her social and intellectual equal.

Hope she ended up having to curtesy or similar to Edith.

?