Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Our Yorkshire Farm

(21 Posts)
travelsafar Fri 31-Jul-20 09:01:40

How i love this program. Fills me with nostalgia as we lived on farms as children, my dad was a herdsman. We were always miles from anyone else so no friends nearby. only at school so we relied on siblings for fun and laughter. I adore little Clemmy watching her round up the sheep and dealing with her Tony the Pony, especially with the blanket she got for xmas, makes my heart melt. What a wonderful family and how lucky they are to have such great parents.

MellowYellow Fri 31-Jul-20 09:06:36

Yes, I love this programme too. Clemmy is my granddaughter's age, and to watch her dealing with those sheep was incredible. The mum was in my area, Cornwall, giving a talk a while back but it got booked up very quickly!

Puzzler61 Fri 31-Jul-20 09:23:04

I love it too and have seen them on all series for past 9 years.
They work hard and play hard, everyone has jobs to do.
They battle on through harsh winters and I admire them for making a living from that sort of landscape.
The children are delightful (I have a soft spot for Sidney who has trouble keeping his trousers up - they are clearly hand-me-downs from a bigger brother) and it’s refreshing to see the type of childhood they are having.

Fennel Fri 31-Jul-20 12:59:06

What channel is it on?

Puzzler61 Fri 31-Jul-20 13:04:57

Channel 5Select I watched it on Fennel .
Monday’s, 8-9pm
This series started 20 July .

nanaK54 Fri 31-Jul-20 13:17:09

It is such a lovely programme. Had to look away with the 'mouse' scenes this week grin but that's just my own phobia!
Has anyone else noticed that 'mum' never sits down to eat at the table, perhaps there is just not enough room.
Great to see that Raven has gone to Uni, love the relationship with Reuben and Sid, and of course Clemmie is my absolute favourite

merlotgran Fri 31-Jul-20 13:26:21

Little Clemmy, teaching her slightly older sister, Annie, to milk was a joy to watch. Growing up with loving and patient parents who constantly praise them for their efforts is probably why Raven has taken to uni life in such a quiet and confident way.

I wonder if the next episode will run into the restrictions caused by coronavirus?

Fennel Fri 31-Jul-20 13:33:50

thanks Puzzler - I'll try to find it.

Guineagirl Thu 13-Aug-20 14:32:42

My favourite programme at the moment, look forward to Tuesdays although last weeks wasn’t on. The praise they give their children is brilliant how I wish I’d got praise like that.

I love Clemmy and for a four year old she is great and can’t help but chuckle at her. She just loves helping. The bit shutting the gate on the sheep and under breath saying ‘little huggers’ was hilarious.

Series goes too quick.

Guineagirl Thu 13-Aug-20 14:33:55

Spell check little buggars not huggers

Septimia Thu 13-Aug-20 15:12:19

Our 9 year old GD saw the first half of the last episode, having watched The Yorkshire Vet (late bedtime because of holidays). She loved both, but asked to see more of Our Yorkshire Farm. I do wish she could be brought up like that.

EllanVannin Thu 13-Aug-20 15:28:32

This is the right way to bring up children. It's a fab programme. Down to earth parents, I love it.

trisher Thu 13-Aug-20 15:36:13

I love it as well.
nanK54 I noticed the mum never sits down to eat with them. When they had Christmas dinner she did have a place set but then she was back standing again.
The mum was on TV a bit ago saying that the end of this series runs into lockdown and the crew just left them cameras and equipment so they could film themselves. Be interesting to see the result.

Kate1949 Thu 13-Aug-20 16:14:13

It's a lovely programme. Clemmy in particular is a delight.

sassenach512 Wed 19-Aug-20 14:29:43

It's a delightful programme and a refreshing change from all of the thrillers and police shows saturating the listings.
I love the relationship Reuben and Sid have. Sid obviously hero-worships his brother and I thought Reuben, deciding to give his trail bike to his brother rather than selling it, was a truly wonderful thing to do, what a lovely young man he is.
What an idyllic childhood those children are having, no sitting in their bedrooms chatting online and gaming for them, they're given proper jobs to help on the farm and obviously loving it. Their parents must be so proud of them.

Lona Wed 19-Aug-20 16:11:05

I love it too, the children are so delightful and the parents so patient and kind.
I also noticed that the mum never sits at the table with the rest of the family, even after Raven had left. Surely there would have been a space for her then?
A wonderful series.

Floradora9 Wed 19-Aug-20 16:16:15

You do have to realise this is massively edited so the falling out , the grumpy kids and bad temper are never shown . I like the programme but watch it without rose tinted spectacles .

merlotgran Wed 19-Aug-20 16:24:26

Of course it's edited but speaking as somebody who brought up (only) three children on a farm in the middle of nowhere I can spot the joins.

You can't make children happy and enthusiastic and the producers are savvy enough to realise we've all had a gut full of spoilt, whingeing, miserable kids, bleating about how unfair everything is and speaking rudely to their parents.

You only have to look at their confidence and consideration towards others to know that any grumbles, sibling fall outs etc., would be pointless viewing.

MummyJoJo62 Wed 19-Aug-20 16:27:41

KitKat had me blubbing my heart out! Also I just wonder how those bangles smell at the end of the day?

merlotgran Wed 19-Aug-20 16:48:48

I would think a lot of the shots of Amanda speaking to camera are definitely staged. The way her long hair fits loosely but neatly under the hood of her jacket is a look I would have loved to have mastered in a Fen Blow but always failed miserably.

The bangles would drive me mad but then she doesn't favour the traditional country 'look' of Barbour jacket, jeans, wellies etc. That's what makes her different I suppose.

When we watch scenes where the children don't look to be in a very safe environment we remind ourselves there's a camera crew only a few feet away.

Health and Safety was evident in ensuring Reuben was at a safe distance from the winch rope when they were pulling the trailer out of the river.

overthehill Wed 19-Aug-20 17:02:28

Another yes from me. Being nosey I'd love to see more of their home life. 9 kids must take a load of clothes washing, food prep huge. They must have more help than is evident in the programme.