TV, radio, film, Arts

Harlots

(30 Posts)
phoenix Wed 05-Aug-20 22:27:23

The music is all wrong ?

Pittcity Wed 05-Aug-20 22:38:41

The teeth are too white!

Pittcity Thu 06-Aug-20 10:29:48

Seems we are the only ones who watched it Phoenix.
Perhaps they thought the title was for membership of an exclusive GN clique.....wink

Sparklefizz Thu 06-Aug-20 10:44:48

I'm going to catch up with it later.

That problem with over-white teeth will rule a lot of actors out of certain parts, I think.

Alexa Thu 06-Aug-20 10:48:26

Sorry, I put my reply in the Public Cleavages discussion

Pittcity Thu 06-Aug-20 12:29:59

I agree with Alexa's comments on the cleavage thread. No real story just a lot of bare flesh and rude words.
It was made for the US Market and they can keep it. I won't be watching any more.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 06-Aug-20 13:07:42

I thought it was loosely based on a true story about prostitution in and around Covent Garden.

Watched the first episode last night will watch the second one before making up my mind.

Curlywhirly Thu 06-Aug-20 14:09:25

Phoenix I agree, the music is much too modern for the 18th century and just doesn't match the content at all. Although the teeth are far too white and perfect for the times, I thought they did get the dirt and grim living conditions right; I felt really grubby and uncomfortable watching it (and not because it was full of boobs and bums!) the filth in the streets and grubby houses looked very realistic. How anybody survived those living conditions is a mystery and it doesn't bear thinking about what diseases the prostitutes were subject to ?

Jane10 Thu 06-Aug-20 14:12:16

I've recorded it for a binge watch. I don't expect historical accuracy just entertainment.

CherryCezzy Thu 06-Aug-20 14:12:54

It's not what I would call quality drama and it was definitely not serious period drama. There were quite a few inaccuracies besides the music and the white teeth, including the men's period clothing and the interior deco' of premises.
It was a bit of a silly yarn though.
My partner said it would attract quite a few complaints. He's probably right and for more than the obvious reasons.

Teetime Thu 06-Aug-20 14:58:27

I loved it - all of it and especially the music!

Elrel Thu 06-Aug-20 16:56:00

I was unsure at first but I’m glad I watched last night and shall continue to do so. Samantha Morton is a fine actor, as are several others in the cast. At least two interesting actors new to me too, Pippa Bennet-Warner and Eloise Smyth.
Although living conditions and the women's lives are awful there are moments of humour and interesting twists. Lucy’s coping with her deflowering was a surprise as was the wake for poor Mary.
Overall, for me, worth watching.

Lucca Thu 06-Aug-20 17:00:49

I fell asleep. I did like the music, thought it was fun.

BlueBelle Thu 06-Aug-20 17:28:30

I managed five minutes

Dinahmo Thu 06-Aug-20 17:33:44

Bluebell you should have carried on watching for a bit longer. I was out with the dogs and missed the first 5 minutes. I watched for a few minutes and thought about stopping but then it started to get quite interesting.

Elrel I too thought it was worth watching.

travelsafar Sun 09-Aug-20 13:15:34

Sorry i started another thread for this series. Didn;t see this one. smile. The music reminds me of, Gentleman Jack which was another raunchy series. Also The Peaky Blinders have music not of the time. Personally i feel it adds to the series.

MayBee70 Sun 09-Aug-20 18:32:24

I'm not sure about the music. I think they tried to do a Peaky Blinders with it but failed miserably. Having said that, I did fall asleep so need to rewatch it. I agree about Samantha Morton being a fine actress. Came up through the acting ranks the way that Jack O'Connel did.

Jane10 Sun 09-Aug-20 18:35:41

Just watched it. Great fun. Not an ideal way to earn a living. A precursor to the Epstein way of life?

Elrel Mon 10-Aug-20 05:56:12

Travelsafar - yes, reminded me of Gentleman Jack too.

NotSpaghetti Mon 10-Aug-20 06:29:56

I watched the 1st episode and thought it a bit thin.
Don't know if it will improve but I'm not sure I'll rush to see the rest.

MayBee70 Wed 12-Aug-20 23:39:49

I only caught a bit of tonight’s episode but I do think there seems to be more of a storyline developing. Mind you, I’ve been watching Emma on catchup. I must have missed it first time round and thought it was a new series although it did seem odd Jodhi May looked so young in it. I’m loving it.

trisher Sat 15-Aug-20 09:49:05

The first episode is a bit thin but it does improve. Think it fails a bit on what it was really like in cities. Roads usually were not paved, women wore high pattens over their shoes to keep them out of the mud and travelled in Sedan Chairs because coaches couldn't cope with it. All a bit clean and tidy!

seacliff Sat 15-Aug-20 09:56:39

I found the music annoying, but I loved the Gentleman Jack music. Just a question of personal taste.

Although it was a bit of light hearted rubbish, I have watched the whole lot now, and actually really enjoyed it for what it is. There is actually a story behind all the rumpy pumpy. I wasn't in the mood for serious.

Although I'm sure it was not totally realistic, it did make me think about how hard it was for women then, if they were poor and had no family support.

Sparklefizz Sat 15-Aug-20 10:32:34

seacliff

I found the music annoying, but I loved the Gentleman Jack music. Just a question of personal taste.

Although it was a bit of light hearted rubbish, I have watched the whole lot now, and actually really enjoyed it for what it is. There is actually a story behind all the rumpy pumpy. I wasn't in the mood for serious.

Although I'm sure it was not totally realistic, it did make me think about how hard it was for women then, if they were poor and had no family support.

I enjoyed it too, there is a storyline and like you say Seacliff, it brought it home to me how hard it was for women then.

I have given up watching "Spooks" as it was too intense and I need something more relaxing at the moment.

tanith Sat 15-Aug-20 10:44:51

I got bored and turned it off this week I shan’t watch anymore. It was all a bit repetitive and predictable.