Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

The Nightingale on Netflix

(6 Posts)
travelsafar Sat 08-Aug-20 09:27:03

A truely upsetting film. It was a really good storyline but parts were so upsetting i had to fast forward. It is the story of a young woman who had been a convict in Australia and the cruel British officer who had 'bonded' her. Sometimes when i watch films where we British in the days of the Empire had been the rulers it makes me feel ashamed, especially how we treated the native people of the country. As you probaly guessed the Aboriginals were dealt with in a horrible way in this film.

Namsnanny Sat 08-Aug-20 09:31:40

Thank you for giving your opinion travelsafar. I think I would find it upsetting too. I'll give it a miss!

Jane43 Sun 09-Aug-20 10:31:21

I watched this last night. It is hard to watch in places but I did stick with it as it was a good story. It is a reminder of how sanitised history was for my generation and a very long way from the truth. I think we should confront the reality of what happened in the past even if it is upsetting.

MayBee70 Sun 09-Aug-20 18:37:35

I haven't seen The Nightingale but watched Lily the other night on tv. Had seen it and not enjoyed it at the cinema but thought I'd give it another go. It reminded me of Never Let Me Go; beautifully filmed, well acted and with a commendable storyline/good acting. But, although I'm ok with sad endings and often leave a cinema in tears I don't like films that leave me feeling bleak and melancholy, and there's a very fine line between the two and it's not easy to get it right.

Jane43 Mon 10-Aug-20 11:54:39

The ending of The Nightingale was open ended so I chose to think that after all they went through, Clare the Irish woman and Billy the Maori managed to find a better life.

annep1 Fri 04-Sep-20 20:15:02

Thanks. I'll give it a miss.