Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

This Is Us - Amazon Prime

(45 Posts)
Jane43 Mon 24-Aug-20 15:15:15

DH discovered this and we are both hooked on it which is unusual because our tastes are very different. The stories so far centre on four people who celebrate their birthdays on the same day and the people in their lives. We are enjoying it very much and I believe there are three series.

Sunlover Mon 24-Aug-20 15:23:00

I envy you just starting it. I absolutely loved it. There are 4 series on Prime and apparently 2 more to come. I needed tissues numerous times. Love all the characters. Great viewing.

Kate54 Mon 24-Aug-20 16:21:21

Love it, love it, love it

Sparklefizz Mon 24-Aug-20 16:27:37

I loved this too and have watched the lot. Felt bereft when I realised I'd got to wait for the next series.

Jane43 Mon 24-Aug-20 16:49:56

I don’t know how we missed it but it’s good to have something really good to watch.

Daisymae Mon 24-Aug-20 17:01:32

They are triplets! Well two siblings and the third adopted. We watched earlier episodes a few years ago and were pleased to see that they have made more.

Pittcity Mon 24-Aug-20 17:37:42

I love it too.

Nortsat Mon 24-Aug-20 17:46:28

I loved it too...

annodomini Mon 24-Aug-20 19:09:56

Another useful recommendation! Thanks!

Bathsheba Mon 24-Aug-20 22:10:17

Thanks for the heads up Jane43 - I've just watched the first two episodes and I'm totally hooked!

Sparklefizz Tue 25-Aug-20 08:44:24

Five Bedrooms is also good. I think that was on BBC iPlayer.

travelsafar Tue 25-Aug-20 08:50:19

Loved it too, once you start you just have to continue. smile

CassieJ Tue 25-Aug-20 09:44:20

I loved this! You do need to watch it from the start though to understand everything behind it.

Jane43 Tue 25-Aug-20 11:53:09

Sparklefizz

Five Bedrooms is also good. I think that was on BBC iPlayer.

I loved that too and I hope there is a second series. Yes it is on BBC iPlayer

Teetime Tue 25-Aug-20 12:16:25

Will definitely have a look at this.

Washerwoman Tue 25-Aug-20 21:30:18

I'm currently watching series 2 and I love it.A friend told me about it ages ago and I never bothered to check it out.Then DD has been hooked and told me how good it was.Normally story lines that flip backwards and forwards in time annoy me but it's so cleverly done ,and all the characters storylines develop so that you really get involved.Having to ration myself to an episode or two at a time - and yes tissues needed !

Jane43 Tue 25-Aug-20 22:40:49

I can’t stop watching it. The only other thing I’ve watched apart from the news since last Saturday is A Suitable Boy. I’m on episode 9 and my heart is breaking for Randall. I mentioned it to my my daughter-in-law on Monday and she and my son are now hooked.

Bathsheba Mon 31-Aug-20 08:21:15

Ditto Jane43. I started watching this on Monday and I'm now on episode 16. It is addictive! There is no way I could watch this with my DH - or anyone else for that matter. I couldn't stand having to wait for the other person to be free to watch, or to hear them say they didn't want to watch more than one episode at a time. I binge watched 4 yesterday while knitting!

J52 Mon 31-Aug-20 09:23:52

I’m another hooked, I’m on season 2. I’m rationing myself to only watching late afternoon on wet days!
It may take a long time.

TerriBull Mon 31-Aug-20 09:30:34

My first impressions after watching a few episodes was that it's very schmaltzy and overlaid with sentiment as American productions can be at times I watched a few episodes and stopped for a while. From reading the posts here, I can see that's a lone opinion. So I've gone back to it and it's beginning to grow on me as I approach the end of the first series so I shall continue now it's beginning to reel me in, particularly following all these glowing appraisals.

Jane43 Mon 31-Aug-20 12:04:58

TerriBull

My first impressions after watching a few episodes was that it's very schmaltzy and overlaid with sentiment as American productions can be at times I watched a few episodes and stopped for a while. From reading the posts here, I can see that's a lone opinion. So I've gone back to it and it's beginning to grow on me as I approach the end of the first series so I shall continue now it's beginning to reel me in, particularly following all these glowing appraisals.

Well done TerriBull for giving it another chance. I also usually avoid overly sentimental, cheesy dramas but this is so different and as the series progress we learn that all the individuals in this seemingly perfect family have flaws, secrets and see the same events through very different eyes. One of the important messages for me is that over-protection of children although well meant can be damaging to them throughout their lives. I’m thinking in particular of the relationship between Jack and Kate and Rebecca and Randall. I am half way through series 3 now. I believe that Series 5 will be screened in the USA in November and that Series 6 will definitely be the last.

Happiyogi Tue 15-Sep-20 20:45:08

Jane43 Thanks so much for this recommendation! I’m really enjoying it and agree with Washerwoman about not normally liking dramas that take liberties with the time line! Somehow this one manages it smoothly. It’s a real find, and I’m so pleased to hear that more series will follow.

Jane43 Thu 17-Sep-20 14:30:37

It looks as if November 10th is the date for the start of Season 5 in the USA and on Netflix. The first episode will be two hours long.

Shelmiss Thu 17-Sep-20 16:15:00

Ha ha Terribull I agree we used to think it was so nauseating when we were watching it that we even used to call it This is Schmaltz!

And even though we did enjoy pointing out its faults we watched all the seasons so we must have kind of liked it?

Luckygirl Thu 17-Sep-20 17:54:25

TerriBull - not a lone opinion - I hated it!! Full of stereotypes: the fat person, the black person etc. - all cardboard cut-outs.