Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Us - New Sunday night BBC 1 drama.

(89 Posts)
TerriBull Mon 21-Sep-20 07:30:05

At last a Sunday night drama to look forward to. After the lack luster "Luminaries" and slightly dreary at times "A Suitable Boy" "Us" kicked off well straight away for me. David Nicholls books are equally good on the screen as they are to read. I liked the switch between the early developing relationship of the couple and the present time. Tom Hollander, is always great imo, and does world weary very well.

MawB2 Mon 21-Sep-20 07:44:25

I liked it too!
Seeing him sobbing in his car at the dump was just so true - I think we have all had those moments.

Charleygirl5 Mon 21-Sep-20 07:53:58

I thought I would give it a go, I do have an "off" switch but I was beginning to enjoy it. 4 episodes seem a lot but we will see.

Pantglas2 Mon 21-Sep-20 08:53:30

DH refused to watch it (although I’d watched footie with him just before) and I found it predictable but will persevere- sometimes the second episode just clicks with me!

honeyrose Mon 21-Sep-20 09:08:49

After seeing the trailers, I thought “Us” looked quite corny and possibly predictable and the acting rather wooden. So I didn’t tune in last night. After reading others’ comments, though, I may give it a whirl. I watched the first episode of a new series called Singapore Sling last Sunday and thought that was a bit wooden, so not sure if i’ll carry on with that. I do like acting to be believable! Perhaps i’m being too picky!

annep1 Mon 21-Sep-20 09:09:57

I didn't enjoy it. I think the mother and son were very unkind to the husband.

Cabbie21 Mon 21-Sep-20 09:21:15

It was easy viewing. Looking forward to seeing the various locations. The actor who plays Albi had never been to them before. Tom Hollander is always good. DH only half watched but as he mostly gets his own way with the remote it was nice to have my choice for once.

J52 Mon 21-Sep-20 09:24:52

It didn’t grab me. The relationship seemed a bit unrealistic at times. Then too predictable at others.

Greeneyedgirl Mon 21-Sep-20 09:35:01

Disappointed, was looking forward to new drama. I turned it off before the end. I found the acting & script poor, actors miscast, unlikely situation, and without humour. Nuff said.

henetha Mon 21-Sep-20 09:43:19

Well I liked it. But then, I am easily pleased... smile

lovebeigecardigans1955 Mon 21-Sep-20 09:48:38

I enjoyed it. I'd read the book a while ago and it was a good read. Yes, the wife and son were unkind at the restaurant but it was in the book so not unexpected.

Calendargirl Mon 21-Sep-20 09:52:06

honeyrose

After seeing the trailers, I thought “Us” looked quite corny and possibly predictable and the acting rather wooden. So I didn’t tune in last night. After reading others’ comments, though, I may give it a whirl. I watched the first episode of a new series called Singapore Sling last Sunday and thought that was a bit wooden, so not sure if i’ll carry on with that. I do like acting to be believable! Perhaps i’m being too picky!

It is actually The Singapore Grip, but judging by most of the reviews on GN, you perhaps need a Singapore Sling to get through it!

??

Jaxjacky Mon 21-Sep-20 10:27:48

US was ok for me, typical Sunday evening, not difficult to follow, non offensive and innocuous.

TerriBull Mon 21-Sep-20 10:36:23

I had recorded The Singapore Grip but after reading reviews, I'm not sure I can be bothered, too much time can be wasted on somewhat tedious tv.

ExD Mon 21-Sep-20 10:47:26

I had an aunt who was actually in Singapore at the time. From what she told me I think its quite true to life. They were vapid idiots who were making pots of money at the expense of the native population, and they were caught unaware by the invasion. They even spoke in that odd clipped colonial fashion (she said things like "toodle pip" and "ac emma" all her life) and I'm finding it fascinating.
However its a tongue in cheek poke at the times, not a serious true to life docu-soap.
I wish I'd caught US - which channel was it on? I'll try to catch up so I can remember to watch next week's episode.

ExD Mon 21-Sep-20 10:51:21

Duh - if I'd read the title properly I'd have known its BBC1. Another reason for the need for an edit button. I belong to a group that gives you 15 mins to edit your post (stops people changing a nasty remark days later etc) which is useful.

honeyrose Mon 21-Sep-20 11:24:21

Ah Singapore GRIP not Singapore SLING!! Thanks, Calendargirl. I knew it wasn’t quite right when I typed it, but couldn’t be bothered to check my facts (which I normally try to do). Sorry everyone!

flopen Mon 21-Sep-20 11:35:42

pantglas the same happened to me. Mind you, left to myself, I gave up pretty soon, as it was so dull (and I like Tom Hollander)

trisher Mon 21-Sep-20 13:32:55

I enjoyed it and I think there are secrets to be revealed. Only trouble was I couldn't imagine who would want to leave Tom Hollander (even if he was a bit nerdy)!

Pittcity Mon 21-Sep-20 13:36:21

We did a Gap Year of travel in the year before our son left home. We didn't take him with us though....

fevertree Mon 21-Sep-20 13:57:17

Us was soooo boring. It made me decide to leave too! grin (the programme, not my husband).

Millie22 Mon 21-Sep-20 13:59:55

I found it all a bit strange and the bit in the restaurant was unkind. It may improve next week but just now I'm not very keen on the wife.

gulligranny Mon 21-Sep-20 14:32:26

We both really enjoyed Us and will continue to watch it. Well acted and true to the book, which I also enjoyed. Lovely locations too, looking forward to seeing Amsterdam next week.

sodapop Mon 21-Sep-20 15:40:19

I found it a bit boring at first but then got caught up in the story. Tom Hollander portrayed the character well I thought.
I'm looking forward to Amsterdam next week as well gulligranny

Sparklefizz Mon 21-Sep-20 16:44:39

True to the book and I'm loving it.