Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Is anyone watching Harlots?

(18 Posts)
Jodieb Thu 24-Sep-20 11:16:40

I record the drama but each week I seem to have missed an episode as each time on the catch up at the start - I haven't seen it before. Can anyone throw some light on this, please?

Kamiso Thu 24-Sep-20 11:20:16

My daughter mentioned it and said it got better after a few episodes. We watched about half of the first episode and gave up. I usually enjoy historical series but found this one confusing.

Septimia Thu 24-Sep-20 12:56:29

It's been broadcast as double episodes - e.g. episode 1 at 9pm followed immediately by episode 2, episode 3 followed by episode 4, and so on. Could it be that you've set your technology to only record the first episode each time? Ot that it has a mind of its own and just ignored the second one?

Alegrias Thu 24-Sep-20 13:58:10

We've been watching on iPlayer so we can watch it when we like. The first episodes of both series both jumped in with both feet - we thought we had missed something. But we persevered and my goodness, its worth it.

Its developed into one of the best series I've seen in the last few years. I expected a romp, and it's certainly "saucy", to say the least. But when you get to know the characters it is telling a very good story about what women's lives were like in the 18th Century. I noticed that most of the writers, producers etc were also women.

Definitely recommend giving it a second look Kamiso!

Jodieb Thu 24-Sep-20 15:49:22

Septimia. Yes, I am recording the show after. Episode 8 is the next one to watch. Episode 6 showed Charlotte being locked in but Episode 7 never showed how she got out.
Confused!

Has anyone figured out the relationship between the two sisters and Quigley?

Alegrias Thu 24-Sep-20 16:03:37

*Spoiler warning*

The sisters' mother is Margaret Wells, who "worked" for Quigley from the time she was 10 years old. The sisters want to ruin Quigley because of what she made their mother do. So Charlotte has been pretending to be on her side to find out best how to ruin her.

AGAA4 Thu 24-Sep-20 16:08:09

Harlots turned out to be a very good series. I wasn't sure at first but as the story unfolded I was hooked.

Gfplux Thu 24-Sep-20 19:36:45

Gave up after five minutes. Dreadful.

phoenix Thu 24-Sep-20 19:43:57

Gfplux

Gave up after five minutes. Dreadful.

Surely 5 minutes is rather a short time to see enough to pronounce it "dreadful"?

Alegrias Thu 24-Sep-20 19:44:40

No, not dreadful. You might not have liked it Gfplux, which you're entitled to, but it wasn't dreadful.

Sparklefizz Thu 24-Sep-20 19:45:17

I've watched the whole lot on iPlayer and thought it was very good with well known actors. It was raunchy, of course, but I thought it told a good story and showed women's lives very clearly in those times. It was shocking that just one male could consign a woman to Bedlam.

Whichever tier of society a woman occupied, her life was confined and often very miserable. I would finish watching each episode profoundly thankful that I live now and not then!

Curlywhirly Thu 24-Sep-20 19:56:20

I have really enjoyed it. Once you get over the bawdyness of it, it is a cracking story. The costumes are amazing and the programme shows the 'warts and all' side of life in London in the 18th century - not a pleasant place or time at all!

Jodieb Fri 25-Sep-20 11:24:18

Thanks, Alegrias. It is a good series, shame i seem to be missing every other one. I'll have to try iplayer.

Jane10 Fri 25-Sep-20 11:30:21

I agree Curlywhirley. Once I got over the shock of what was going on I really enjoy this. I feel very sorry for Margaret's boobs! They look so, er, uncomfortably 'contained'.

Jodieb Sun 27-Sep-20 16:17:40

Thanks everyone!

Babs758 Sat 14-Nov-20 10:14:23

The bedlam scenes were very upsetting and I even felt sorry for Quigley! I enjoyed the series and thought the acting was good. The last season, with the absence mostly of Samantha Norton’s character, gave the others a chance to shine. Good to see some decent male characters make an appearance too!

seacliff Sat 14-Nov-20 10:26:40

I feel very sorry for Margaret's boobs! They look so, er, uncomfortably 'contained'. Made me chuckle...I bet the actress cannot wait to fling off that corset after filming!!

Babs758 Sat 14-Nov-20 10:44:24

They certainly made the most of her assets!