Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

What do you think of tv shows for little ones?

(21 Posts)
Ealdemodor Fri 25-Sep-20 14:53:51

Those of us who do a lot of grandchild minding have to watch quite a bit of kids’ tv.
My two and a half year old loves Peppa Pig and Paw Patrol. She has recently discovered Fireman Sam, I hadn’t realised he was still going.
I think these shows are good, innocent fun, and a chance for me to sit down!
What do other Gransnetters like - or dislike?

DiscoGran Fri 25-Sep-20 15:42:49

Octonauts and Hey Duggee are our favourites. And of course, Paw Patrol.

SueDonim Fri 25-Sep-20 15:43:54

I like the quiet ones, I don’t like the shouty, shrieky ones.

NotTooOld Fri 25-Sep-20 16:55:44

I think some of them are excellent although I may be a bit out of touch as the grandchildren are no longer little. I used to like watching The Night Garden and Dora the Explorer with them. I remember the DGC learned Spanish phrases from watching Dora and The Night Garden was good for calming them down before bedtime as toddlers. Ah, those were the days! Now I'm lucky if I get a text from them.

vegansrock Fri 25-Sep-20 16:56:56

Our toddler likes Baby Club which is basically nursery rhymes and a story. They have an At Home series which shows games and songs to play with a little one if you’re stuck at home. He also likes Hey Duggee and In the Night Garden. I’m not sure about that one - it’s a bit surreal.

NotTooOld Fri 25-Sep-20 17:05:13

vegan - I know what you mean about ITNG being surreal. I hadn't thought that about it until you said but, yes, all those little Chinese people and the blue Iggle Piggle (is that right?). Not to mention the rather strange music!

monk08 Fri 25-Sep-20 18:06:19

Sarah and duck a favourite before bed also hey duggee.

Deedaa Fri 25-Sep-20 18:07:57

I used to love In The Night Garden. We went to a couple of their live shows and they were great fun (and all the grannies knew all the songs) Fireman Sam, Postman Pat and Peppa Pig always went down well. Mr Maker was very popular and I liked Andy's Dinosaur Adventures.

GagaJo Fri 25-Sep-20 22:03:41

I'm not a fan of TV for my darling grandson. He adores it though. If he's with me, I only let him watch the educational programmes. Yakka Dee, when he was starting to talk. Sesame Street for colours and counting. He will happily sit and watch nature programmes or National Geographic, as long as its about animals.

Greenfinch Fri 25-Sep-20 22:35:18

What Deedaa said. I also used to like Mr Tumble

SueDonim Fri 25-Sep-20 23:17:15

My DC are convinced ITNG is just the latest in a long line of illicit-drug-influenced programming for teenies. Magic Roundabout, Teletubbies and then ITNG. grin

Curlywhirly Fri 25-Sep-20 23:21:34

Waffle the Dog is my DGD's favourite, and it is quite a nice little programme; my DGS loves Peppa Pig, which drives me mad (mostly because it only lasts 10 mins!) . Both the DGC loved In The Night Garden, especially when the birds appeared accompanied by that weird music, very strange! My favourite is Bing - the little village he lives in is just so twee, it's really cute. I also love Postman Pat, Greendale Village is just the perfect place to live - I obviously must have a longing to live in a quaint village!

Chewbacca Fri 25-Sep-20 23:23:22

DGS aged 3 loves Paw Patrol, Fireman Sam and good old Thomas The Tank Engine. When he's with me, he only gets to watch any of them towards the end of the day when he's getting tired and ready for his mum to come for him. The one programme that I used to find utterly bewildering was Teletubbies. I couldn't understand a word they were saying!

DVD aged 8 is being introduced to my old favourites Tom & Jerry and Top Cat. The old 'uns are the best!

Grandmabatty Sat 26-Sep-20 11:31:03

My dgs is 19 months and he loves a cartoon called Bluey. He watches quite entranced. I like it too. It Australian and the characters use their imagination.

GagaJo Sat 26-Sep-20 12:45:28

Kiri and Lou is sweet. It's a gentle New Zealand cartoon about dinosaurs. Bit too sweet for my little terror. It's me that loves it.

Jane10 Sat 26-Sep-20 12:56:57

'Baby Jake' used to give me the creeps. DH didn't really 'get' children's TV. He used to complain bitterly about Mr Tumble - 'That man' s an idiot!'
Meanwhile the DGSs watched anything.
Changed days now though. Very American programmes are their favourites with resultant effect on their vocabulary sad

Galaxy Sat 26-Sep-20 13:15:15

I used to love octonauts, Mr Tumble has done some amazing work in making Makaton signing mainstream.

NonnaW Sat 26-Sep-20 13:24:36

DGS used to love Blaze and the Monster Machines, which had a bit of educational content as well as the racing cars.

Deedaa Sat 26-Sep-20 16:35:34

We used a lot of sign language, thanks to Mr Tumble, when GS 1&2 were too young to talk. It made life so much easier. GS2 saw Mr Tumble in pantomime when he was 4 and was called up on stage because it was his birthday. Excited wasn't the word!

MellowYellow Sun 27-Sep-20 13:56:29

We love Peppa Pig, Paw Patrol, Sarah and Duck. I love The Twirlywoos but 4 year old has grown out of it! Mind you, when it comes on she says, 'Oh, Nana, here's your favourite.' On the occasional times my 10 year old grandson comes round on his own we watch Peppa Pig still! He's a budding cartoonist like his mum and loves talking me through the storyline and what he would have drawn differently. grin

3nanny6 Sun 27-Sep-20 14:28:02

Myself and the grandchildren always liked Iggle Piggle and the Night Garden. Dora the Explorer always went down well and
Mr McStuffin was good also Mr Tumble. They sometimes enjoyed Rasta Mouse as it was musical and they danced when it was on. The one about the man who had his dog and they went and planted seeds and flowers on his allotment was also good. The grand-children had good memories of the Meer cats and had all the toys of those characters. Must not forget Peppa Pig she was a big favourite.