Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Rebecca - Netflix

(12 Posts)
Teetime Mon 26-Oct-20 10:14:13

We saw this new adaptation yesterday afternoon and I thought it was very good notwithstanding the main actresses rather wet acting style. Max was not well cast but Kristin Scott Thomas was a watchable Mrs Danvers. Nothing beats Larry and Joan Fontaine though.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 26-Oct-20 10:15:40

I think if you watch it as a stand alone it is fine.

But it deviates from the book, and does not compare well with the original,

henetha Mon 26-Oct-20 10:17:31

I watched this and although I sort of enjoyed it I didn't think it was as good as older versions, especially that Larry Olivier one, Teetime. Kristin Scott Thomas was good, as always, though.

fevertree Mon 26-Oct-20 10:52:54

I enjoyed it too. The only thing I found distracting was Rebecca character's "bottle blond" hair.

Lovely scenery. Agree that KST acted everyone else off the screen.

vegansrock Mon 26-Oct-20 10:56:22

Charles Dance was a good Maxim in one version. The actor in this one was too young and hunky.

Jane10 Mon 26-Oct-20 12:25:01

It was beautifully done. Of course Mrs Danvers is the best character in it. A treat for KST.

Sparklefizz Mon 26-Oct-20 12:51:16

KST was brilliant as Mrs Danvers. I'm not that keen on Lily James anyway, but she did ok. Max wasn't well cast imo.

Whingingmom Mon 26-Oct-20 15:45:18

I loved the scenery and the beautiful clothes. For me, the characters felt rather “flat” and the narrative didn’t have much intrigue or suspense. It was an undemanding watch - the TV equivalent of a cup of tea and a biscuit.

Witzend Wed 28-Oct-20 10:04:42

I saw the Charles Dance version years ago, and thought it was good, but to me nothing will ever compare with the original B&W version - that Mrs Danvers was so deliciously malevolent!

Greyduster Wed 28-Oct-20 10:43:37

I haven’t seen this film yet but it has big shoes to fill. The first film seems to have been more “buttoned up” than this version, but who could really follow George Sanders as Jack Favell?

Daddima Wed 28-Oct-20 12:51:25

I’m just about to watch, having never either read the book or seen a film. It looked okay from the trailer.

Tweedle24 Wed 28-Oct-20 13:01:16

It was OK but, hardly memorable. The original leaves this version flat AND sticks to du Maurier’s book.