Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

‘The sisters’ starts tonight

(24 Posts)
mokryna Mon 26-Oct-20 12:10:17

Is anyone, who has read the book, looking forward to watching the tv interpretation?

PECS Mon 26-Oct-20 12:20:49

Oh.. what is it about..could do with a good series to watch!

Namsnanny Mon 26-Oct-20 12:25:55

Ive got it marked on epg.

Was the book good mokryna?

mokryna Mon 26-Oct-20 12:47:31

I haven’t read it yet but watching it on screen there could be some upsetting sequences and I just wondered if it was worth it.

Sparklefizz Mon 26-Oct-20 12:47:39

It's had a good preview so I plan to try it.

shysal Mon 26-Oct-20 14:04:16

Thank you for the reminder. I have now set it to record. Will give it a try.

BlueBelle Tue 27-Oct-20 04:16:50

Never read the book but enjoyed it last night even if it was a bit scary being on my own watching it
It’s on four nights in a row

mokryna Tue 27-Oct-20 07:58:01

I was on my own also but had to change channels. As I understand the gist of the story, I’ll try and give it another go this evening

mancgirl Tue 27-Oct-20 07:59:22

Sounds like a good watch Bluebell that could be my watch while ironing. Might not be as scary in daylight ?

Calendargirl Tue 27-Oct-20 08:00:07

Think I nodded off a time or two, but didn’t really take to it.

Sparklefizz Tue 27-Oct-20 09:06:33

If it's scary, I'm not going to watch it.

Teetime Tue 27-Oct-20 10:01:07

Fell asleep!

Alexa Tue 27-Oct-20 10:05:22

Thanks for the heads up.

NanKate Fri 30-Oct-20 21:16:48

Given up, not for me.

lemongrove Fri 30-Oct-20 21:23:36

Just watched the last episode.It could have been a good series and I expect the book was very good.
Unfortunately Russell Tovey was cast in the lead part.I haven’t seen him act well in anything, ever.He’s a wooden potato.
In this series he appeared go be well below normal intelligence and could barely string a sentence together.Why on earth would Holly have married him? His two expressions were rabbit in the spotlight or tearful.Abysmal acting.
By contrast, ‘Bob’ gave a masterclass performance.

BlueBelle Fri 30-Oct-20 21:24:29

I sort of enjoyed it but it was fairly unbelievable and a bit weird and some parts were really jumpy sitting here on my own and the ending was very nasty especially the very last 30 secs but definitely watchable

Lucca Fri 30-Oct-20 22:11:16

Watched first part but got fed up with the time back time forward thing (and the perfect nothing out of place house)...boring programme

BlueBelle Fri 30-Oct-20 22:16:15

Never noticed the perfect house, I was too busy following the storyline ?

lemongrove Fri 30-Oct-20 22:24:31

I noticed that Holly only ever put wine in her mouth, huge glasses with some red wine, no coffee/toast/ meals, and that
Neither of them appeared to actually live in the perfect but rather creepy dark modern home.

Charleygirl5 Fri 30-Oct-20 22:30:37

Very unbelievable and the plot was full of holes

HillyN Fri 30-Oct-20 22:36:22

I watched it all and really enjoyed it. Parts of it were too poorly lit to make out details and, as is often the case with TV dramas these days, we needed the subtitles on to pick up all the dialogue. I didn't think I would enjoy the 'ghostly' aspects, as I find that sort of thing too far fetched, but it didn't spoil the story. I thought Russell Tovey portrayed a man 'on the brink' very well. Presumably he wasn't like that when he courted and married Holly, only when Bob reappeared.

Auntieflo Tue 03-Nov-20 08:53:14

We binge watched this, and wanted to know how it ended up.

But as Lemongrove said, Russell Tovey was useless.
So were Holly's parents.

(I did like the wallpaper in Nathan and Holly's house).

mokryna Tue 03-Nov-20 18:02:07

I couldn’t watch it all, just dipped in as there was too much tension for me, therefore understandably, I didn’t really understand the last 5 mins. I will have to wait till when it will be put on repeat on another channel.

Alishka Tue 03-Nov-20 21:49:05

Looking for something to watch on iplayer, but if the best that can be said about this is that the wallpaper's nice, think I'll give this a miss!gringrin