Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Ruth Jones

(29 Posts)
travelsafar Tue 27-Oct-20 09:05:33

Watched Who do you think you are last night with Ruth as the subject. She came across as such a lovely person, i really enjoyed last nights show. Her sense of pride when she found out about her great grand fathers seemed very genuine to me. Loved how she was with her mum too.

Puzzler61 Tue 27-Oct-20 09:10:00

I enjoyed it too. She didn’t seem to have any “edge” on her as we would say, despite her fame. As you say travelsofar she seems warm, close to her mum for sure, proud of her Welsh heritage and it was a very interesting journey back through many generations of her family.
Won’t say more as it may spoil it for many who plan to watch it ( Nankate for one).

Juliet27 Tue 27-Oct-20 09:10:27

I agree...such a warm personality.

TerriBull Tue 27-Oct-20 09:39:36

I've recorded it, I really like Ruth Jones, loved her series "Stella" better than Gavin and Stacey in my opinion.

Anniebach Tue 27-Oct-20 09:44:03

I enjoyed it very much, and seeing my beloved New Quay was
a joy. Ruth is a lovely warm person

Mapleleaf Tue 27-Oct-20 09:48:01

Yes, I watched it and agree that she came across as lovely without any airs about her.

Daisymae Tue 27-Oct-20 09:53:00

Yes, it was a very interesting program. It's amazing how quickly history is lost, even in a family that has deep roots.

JessK Tue 27-Oct-20 09:53:29

This was a really good programme. Ruth Jones came across as a lovely person who has not been affected by her fame. A really interesting family story too.

Jane10 Tue 27-Oct-20 10:30:20

Oh dear. Looks like I'm alone in having this edition pretty boring to the extent that I switched off half way through. She seemed like a nice person which is fine but somehow this one just didn't 'hold' me.
All families have deep roots of course. Some, like mine, were pretty boring really. Same names and occupations throughout the generations then- bang- early 20th century and they were off to all parts of the world.

Callistemon Tue 27-Oct-20 10:37:31

I found it more interesting than usual.

Jane10 if you had stuck with it, the second half may have interested you more because her maternal grandfather was the Secretary in the Welsh Medical Aid Society movement, a precursor of the NHS and the story covered the beginnings of the NHS.
I'll say no more about it as some posters have yet to watch it.

MayBee70 Tue 27-Oct-20 10:42:16

As ever I only half watched it but what I did see made me want to watch it properly. She came across as someone so warm and lovely.

jaylucy Tue 27-Oct-20 10:42:24

I must say i enjoyed it too.
I wonder if it was just me, or could anyone else see a story for a possible series about the grandfather that was turned down for a job in the NHS forming in her head ?

galadrial Tue 27-Oct-20 10:42:46

Have to agree with all you've said, she came across as a very warm and down to earth person. Her obvious pride in what she found out about her family and heritage shone through. One of the best Who do you think you are for a while. It also helps that I am researching my family tree, so watch it also to pick up hints and tips.

Puzzler61 Tue 27-Oct-20 10:46:13

It is said writers and comedians are always on the look out for ideas for new material so yes, jaylucy, I agree, Ruth could very well write a story around what she found out.

Anniebach Tue 27-Oct-20 10:55:33

I didn’t know she was born in Porthcawl, explains why she chose Barry for Gavin and Stacey . !

ginny Tue 27-Oct-20 11:04:00

I enjoyed it too.

Jane10 Tue 27-Oct-20 11:56:57

Callistemon I did see that bit but it was just her looking at letters and talking.
The most interesting 'Who Do You Think you Are' for me was Bruce Forsyth. I was surprised at his level of concern at finding out a precursor's evil deeds. I hadn't thought that such a 'showbiz' type would be bothered. I also enjoyed Mary Berry's.

Callistemon Tue 27-Oct-20 11:58:44

I do wish they'd go further back in time.

Calendargirl Tue 27-Oct-20 12:04:41

I don’t watch it now as it all seemed a bit samey, but I agree with Jane10 about the Bruce Forsyth one.
I thought it would be all about him, but he seemed surprisingly modest and humbled by what he found out. I thought it was lovely how he paid for some ancestor to have a proper headstone or similar after being buried in a pauper’s grave after losing his money.
(Hope I’ve remembered the details correctly).

ninathenana Tue 27-Oct-20 12:11:25

Love this programme. I agree with everything that's been said about Ruth. One of the best episodes

Nannan2 Tue 27-Oct-20 12:12:45

I like Ruth jones but i dont think she a very good novelist! A finger in too many pies i think..

sparklingsilver28 Tue 27-Oct-20 12:58:35

"Gavin and Stacey" not a programme I spend time watching and thought to turn off. So very pleased I didn't. Ruth Jones and family pride in their Welsh heritage such a refreshing pleasure in the all too disparaging of British history and heritage usually thrown at us.

PECS Tue 27-Oct-20 13:38:11

I enjoy Who Do you Think You are. One of the better shows featuring celebrities. But it would likely be just as interesting 'history' if they researched any one of us!

sparklingsilver28 are you referring to the recent focus on acknowledging the part of British history that was less than Great e,g, plundering others' wealth /resources, the wealth built on slavery? It is part of British history and it is not the job of a historian to celebrate and praise the past but to present it honestly. Few countries will have a history without periods they would rather had been done differently. Facts are facts and not all are comfortable.

Anniebach Tue 27-Oct-20 14:00:51

I am proud of Welsh history, proud of my welsh ancestry .

PECS Tue 27-Oct-20 14:16:57

The fact that there are dark parts of a place's history does not have to make one not be proud of ones ancestry or feel totally connected to a place.