Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Heating On or Off thats the question

(15 Posts)
Glow Tue 01-Dec-20 12:52:10

I love spending time at my partners home But he doesn't feel the cold at all and I do.
Were in our 60s so no spring chickens but he's ex forces so very harden to life.
My delema is i always make my excuses to go home to mine after a couple of days and feel the warmth of my home he likes to stay at his for whatever reason,
Have told him this morning that I'm feeling very cold so he reluctantly put heating on then after 30mins it was off again Uhhhhh I give up
AIBU .just to want a little comfort ?.

Glow Tue 01-Dec-20 12:58:13

So sorry posted this on the wring forum ...must be brain freeze

avitorl Tue 01-Dec-20 13:02:19

I keep my heating on 24hours during the winter months,plus gas fire in the evenings,heated fur throw wrapped around me,electric blanket on my bed so I definitely couldn't stay in a cold place.

crazyH Tue 01-Dec-20 13:06:54

I'm like avitor - heating on all day, all night. I was reading somewhere, it's more cost efficient than having it on a timer. I haven't checked, but regardless I need a warm house.

Willow73 Tue 01-Dec-20 13:07:17

I sympathise with you I hate being cold! Tell him you will not visit unless he lets you put the heating on when you need it. He can always strip if he is hot, but theres only so many layers you can put on to feel comfortable and warm.
Could you offer to help pay some of the bill, would that work?
Or a heated blanket or hot water bottle and bobble hat worn in front of his friends and neighbours would make him out to be Mr Scrooge!

Jane10 Tue 01-Dec-20 13:29:54

Take your own heated throw to his place and plug it in to his electricity. That way you can be cosy but still a his place.

biba70 Tue 01-Dec-20 13:36:10

Well yes... and I say, NO Jane. If the man is so selfish and ignorant of the needs of his partner - then I think Glow has to ask herself some deeper questions on where this relationship is going.

Has he got serious financial issues which makes him behave this way? If so, then you need to discuss that your are prepared to contribute to excess cost. If he is just selfish- then think again.

Glow Tue 01-Dec-20 13:47:58

I already pay for half the food plus Internet provider
I go home to bath and warm up so I'm not really costing him anything plus he's not short of money.
He is such a nice person really just this issue with heating on.
He wears T shirt around the home and no joking im wearing thermals top and bottoms 2 thin jumpers and body warmer plus my throw I bring from my home,
Days when I go home are all to often as I feel warm and comfy but he just doesn't get it,
Maybe it might just be the breaking point in our relationship and I say that with sadness.also i have Rheumatiod Arthritis which doesn't help

FlexibleFriend Tue 01-Dec-20 14:00:22

I'm not skint but the heating hardly ever goes on in this house, others sometimes say it's cold and I'll put the heating on briefly but no longer than an hour or I struggle to breathe and my eyes and nose dry out. Not all of us feel the cold at the same temperature so I doubt he's being tight or that he's particularly hardy. My kids appreciate why I don't have the heating on as they only have to look at my face and see it running with sweat. So I think the answer is more clothes and the heated throw mentioned previously.

midgey Tue 01-Dec-20 14:20:37

I was thinking about central heating the other day. I do think as a general rule we (as a country) are becoming more nesh. I am trying to keep mine off as much as possible!

YorkLady Tue 01-Dec-20 14:28:25

Today I was cold when I took my tea in the lounge. Put an extra layer on and checked the temperature and it was 20’.
Now, in 20’ in the summer, I would have taken my tea and sat in the garden!! Why is that???? ?

ExD Tue 01-Dec-20 14:31:21

Its a never ending problem in out house. My husband is a farmer and sits in his (short) shirt sleeves all evening and is warm. I shiver in 4 layers of clothing and my hands and nose are cold to touch.
I wrap myself in a blanket, light the open fire and put a hot water bottle on my knees. We agree to differ. He sits in the kitchen with his own tv and falls asleep.
I like the room temperature to be at least 22c in the evenings.

ExD Tue 01-Dec-20 14:32:25

Edit .............. OUR house, not out house.

lemsip Tue 01-Dec-20 14:33:32

Are you sure he wants you there! If he wanted you to visit he surely would make it comfortable for you!

Grannybags Tue 01-Dec-20 14:34:05

We were saying exactly that yesterday YorkLady

Strange isn't it?!