Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Classic FM

(13 Posts)
specki4eyes Sat 05-Dec-20 08:32:25

I planned to spend the day house cleaning yesterday before putting tree up etc. So Classic FM seemed an appropriate seasonal listening choice. OMG! After an hour I had to switch off in exasperation. Every few minutes ..adverts..I accept that, it's a commercial channel. But even more annoying were the finales of each and every advert when the Voice Over had to scurry at breakneck speed through the Ts & Cs. Why? Other commercial channels dont do that. Sorry Classic FM you have lost a listener.

Witzend Sat 05-Dec-20 09:00:48

I know what you mean. I have Classic FM on a lot, but frequently switch off when the ads come on - especially the more irritating ones.
Current most irritating is the endless, Hands, Face, Space! - I often hurl a very unladylike expletive at that one, before hitting the off button.

Humbertbear Sat 05-Dec-20 09:09:27

They’ve lost me too. I loved John Suchet in the morning but Alexander Armstrong has really dummed down the morning slot.

MaizieD Sat 05-Dec-20 09:19:44

I only listen to it in the car, but seeing as they insist on boring us rigid with Christmas carols for weeks before Christmas actually happens I hit the mute button a lot these days. And the incessant 'get ready for the end of transition' adverts are so annoying.

And I wish that Beethoven had never written a Pastoral symphony.

Apart from that it's fine easy listening...

Luckygirl Sat 05-Dec-20 09:31:03

And I wish that Mascagni had never written his Intermezzo for the same reason!

I think they need to make some rules for their advertisers. It is deeply irritating when you have just listened to a beautiful piece of music and some in-your-face jingle blasts out at you and wrecks the mood. It has a huge listenership so I am sure that advertisers would not be put off.

I like the fact that have lots of carols - they are some of the most beautiful and evocative sons around and they only happen once a year - mind you Classic FM does sometimes play some ghastly versions of them.

I mainly listen to Radio 3 during the day but switch to Classic FM when there is nothing there that I like - and also at night as I drop to sleep because it is soothing musical wallpaper, whereas at that time of night Radio 3 has some challenging music (which involves being alert and listening properly) or spoken voice.

I approve wholeheartedly of Classic FM - I really do think it has drawn in thousands of people who would not otherwise have listened to classical music; and also encouraged concert going. All good - just need to do something about the ads.

MiniMoon Sat 05-Dec-20 09:53:16

I used to be a Classic FM listener, but I relocated to Scala Radio when Simon Mayo set it up just over a year ago. I love it and have been converted.
They play a variety of music, not all classical, and have some really good presenters.
They do have adverts but I don't find them too intrusive.

Witzend Sat 05-Dec-20 17:24:41

I loved John Suchet, too. So restful. Alexander Armstrong is just a bit too bright and perky for me.
I love the carols, though!

midgey Sat 05-Dec-20 17:28:20

John Suchet really winds me up!

storynanny Sat 05-Dec-20 17:31:31

We love classic fm here
It has introduced my husband to lots of music I took for granted growing up as an amateur musician.

annodomini Sat 05-Dec-20 18:22:34

It's sometimes frustrating when they haven't told us beforehand what the piece we have been listening to is and who the composer is. And on occasion, you don't hear the title until another piece has intervened. Last night as I was dropping off to sleep, I heard a lovely and unfamiliar violin concerto but missed the name of the composer. It's the channel I listen to late at night. I tell Alexa to stop playing in half an hour and almost invariably am asleep by the time it's switched off.

JackyB Sat 05-Dec-20 19:10:00

If you hear something unknown Shazam will also identify classical music for you.

Luckygirl Sat 05-Dec-20 22:27:03

You can get the track listings on the Classic FM website.

hollysteers Sun 06-Dec-20 00:47:32

I agree, too many adverts. Many years ago, on holiday in France, I remember really enjoying their classical music station, it followed piece after piece with absolutely no talking!
Drawback being not knowing all the pieces but a true revelation then as not as highbrow as R3 and closer to Classic FM which didn’t exist here.
Another irritant, Classic FM repeats the same ‘great’ pieces over and over again...