Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Anne with an E

(14 Posts)
Luckygirl Mon 25-Jan-21 22:52:04

Been watching this Netflix series. Relaxing and pleasant if you do not want to be over-stimulated. I have been enjoying it.

silverlining48 Mon 25-Jan-21 23:06:43

I started watching this tonight and though I generally prefer scandi noir, am enjoying it too.

GrannySomerset Mon 25-Jan-21 23:08:54

Is this about my favourite childhood heroine, Anne Shirley? If so must sign up to Netflix immediately.

SueDonim Mon 25-Jan-21 23:13:01

My Dh is a great Anne of Green Gables fan so we watched it. It’s certainly been made with artistic licence, compared to the books and I have to say, I found Anne pretty irritating by the end of the first season. blush

I loved Marilla (the wonderful Geraldine James) and Matthew was played with such nuance and sensitivity.

sassenach512 Mon 25-Jan-21 23:57:36

I enjoyed it but I preferred the 1980s version with Megan Follows as Anne and Colleen Dewhurst and Richard Farnsworth as Marilla and Matthew. I was also sad to read that Jonathan Combie who played a very handsome Gilbert Blythe died at only 48 in 2015. I agree SueDonim the latest Anne irritated me a bit too but still worth a watch

FannyCornforth Tue 26-Jan-21 03:40:13

SueDonim my DH loved it too.

Jane10 Tue 26-Jan-21 07:53:01

Matthew and Marilla are wonderful. I love spending my afternoons on Prince Edward Island with them. Anne is irritating though!

Luckygirl Tue 26-Jan-21 09:04:36

I think Anne is meant to be irritating!

I agree that Marilla and Matthew are brilliant.

Shandy57 Tue 26-Jan-21 10:11:40

I've just finished it and am going to research the history of the First Nations. My daughter did an international degree in Canada and her university had an indigenous programme there.

Jane10 Tue 26-Jan-21 10:27:43

Permanently snowy somehow. It's a beautiful programme to watch visually apart from anything else.

Jane43 Tue 26-Jan-21 11:56:18

I watched all the episodes on Netflix last year and loved them all because Anne Of Green Gables was one of my favourite childhood books, I've read it and the sequels dozens of times. There have been lots of versions over the years but I think this version is wonderful purely because of Matthew and Marilla, wonderful casting.

SueDonim Tue 26-Jan-21 16:34:37

There’s irritating and then there’s irritating, Luckygirl! grin. The actor was annoying me, I suppose. Only a wee bit, though, and I enjoyed the escapism.

Fanny my dh has all the books, too. ❤️ Our daughters have red hair, as well.

Elrel Tue 26-Jan-21 16:50:04

‘Anne with an E’ is one of my calming series to watch. I’m also watching the intriguing but rather gloomy ‘Queen’s Gambit’.
Oddly I find ‘Death in Paradise’ rather calming, I think it’s the lovely island, the regular characters and the humour. The actual plots are often labyrinthine and the characters in them don't come across as believable.

I’ve given up on ‘Finding Alice’. Enjoyed Carol Vorderman’s ‘Closer To’ - she revisits North Wales where she grew up, a beautiful area. She also unashamedly enjoys herself! I found it on BBC IPlayer.

Atqui Tue 26-Jan-21 16:59:35

I loved it but after a while gave it up . Now enjoying Virgin River