Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

The Terror

(170 Posts)
Eloethan Thu 04-Mar-21 01:22:17

Did anyone watch this tonight? I thought it was very well done - good acting, convincing scenery and very gripping (though rather gory).

Calendargirl Thu 04-Mar-21 07:12:13

I debated about watching it, but when I saw there were two episodes, (I go to bed at 10), I watched the ITV programme about Fergie’s Killer Dresser instead.

I intend to catch up on The Terror though, as it has Ciaran Hinds in it and I like him.

Urmstongran Thu 04-Mar-21 07:24:26

I watched it. It was extremely well done, very atmospheric. I read a book once about those brave polar explorers, living on the ice mapping out the new territory. The harsh conditions and fatalities that were suffered stayed with me a long time after reading it.

I too like Ciaran Hinds and the casting was superb. His faith in God is about to be sorely tested I think. Decisions made will be regretted as events unfold. Trapped in the ice plains. What could go wrong?

Oopsadaisy1 Thu 04-Mar-21 07:26:15

The book was good, I think The Terror was on TV last year? But we only watched one episode.

notnecessarilywiser Thu 04-Mar-21 08:01:41

I was glad of a change of genre - the threat of peril being from nature, rather than an unhinged murderer.

There are ten episodes in total - can I eke it out to watch every Wednesday or shall I binge the lot on iPlayer?

Pittcity Thu 04-Mar-21 08:07:58

We watched the first episode and enjoyed it. It made me feel chilly. My DS is a sailor and may be going to the Artic, so I am glad that we have better clothing, food, tech and health and safety nowadays.
Will watch the rest at our leisure.

Oopsadaisy the Terror that was on last year was a different series with the same name.

H1954 Thu 04-Mar-21 08:13:25

This does sound rather good, we might watch it on catchup on Saturday evening which is usually dreadful in terms of programmes on the night.

GrandmaKT Thu 04-Mar-21 09:07:47

I watched and enjoyed the first two episodes last night. DH was supposedly watching it, but more engrossed with his laptop!
I don't know if I can stay the distance for 10 episodes though, I don't fancy watching them all die horrifying deaths one by one!

BigBertha1 Thu 04-Mar-21 10:03:10

I watched it but didn't enjoy it. Not sure it was necessary to show a particularly brutal pm . I think its clear what happens next as well. I dont think either of us enjoyed having something so dark and depressing at the moment.

Urmstongran Thu 04-Mar-21 10:09:24

When that surgeon got out his surgical saw to hack away at those ribs from that corpse!
?

As you say Pittcity no comparison with today’s expeditions with all the technology to hand. Those intrepid mariners didn’t even have radio contact! Flag waving ensign from the Erasmus to the Terror, mast sails, cramped living quarters and the icy cold. Not for the faint hearted.

Pittcity Thu 04-Mar-21 10:12:21

They still have cramped living quarters with the officers being treated much better than the ratings. Nevertheless they are warm, well fed and well paid, unlike these poor wretches.

Urmstongran Thu 04-Mar-21 10:16:20

And, like ET, they can phone home!
Communication must make a huge difference. These expeditions must have been a logistical nightmare to plan and execute. I’m waiting for an announcement of ‘reduced rations’. And mutiny ...

Urmstongran Thu 04-Mar-21 12:27:32

I’ve been reading up on the subject of these 2 ships. Isn’t the internet just fantastic?

Wiki:

“Erebus (378 tons bm) and Terror (331 tons bm) were sturdily built and well equipped, including several recent inventions.[14] Steam engines were fitted, driving a single screw propeller in each vessel; these engines were converted former locomotives from the London & Croydon Railway. The ships could make 7.4 km/h (4 kn) on steam power, or travel under wind power to reach higher speeds and/or save fuel.[15]

Other advanced technology in the ships included reinforced bows constructed of heavy beams and iron plates, an internal steam heating system for the comfort of the crew in polar conditions, and a system of iron wells that allowed the screw propellers and iron rudders to be withdrawn into the hull to protect them from damage.

The ships also carried libraries of more than 1,000 books and three years' supply of conventionally[clarification needed] preserved or tinned food.[16] The tinned food was supplied from a provisioner, Stephen Goldner, who was awarded the contract on 1 April 1845, a mere seven weeks before Franklin set sail.[17] Goldner worked frantically on the large order of 8,000 tins. The haste required affected quality control of some of the tins, which were later found to have lead soldering that was "thick and sloppily done, and dripped like melted candle wax down the inside surface".”

Barmeyoldbat Thu 04-Mar-21 13:03:15

Thanks Urmstongran, that was a really interesting bit of research. Loved The Terror watched both episodes, much to the cats horror as she only goes to bed upstairs when we go and kept yawing to make a point it was bedtime. Anyway, Mr Barmey had the map out so he could trace where they were which was great. Can't wait for the next episode.

MayBee70 Thu 04-Mar-21 13:15:26

Can’t recall Ridley Scott doing a tv series before. I wondered if it had been meant to be a film but covid got in the way? Haven’t seen it yet. Should I be wary of any Alien moments?

Alegrias1 Thu 04-Mar-21 13:18:01

I really enjoyed it, it was something a bit different and I expect its going to go in an unexpected direction! What was the Inuit man describing near the beginning? shock

MayBee70, no Alien moments so far, but watch out for the post mortem!

MayBee70 Thu 04-Mar-21 13:21:06

shock

Pittcity Thu 04-Mar-21 14:05:02

The whole series is on iPlayer so no need to wait!

Urmstongran Thu 04-Mar-21 14:07:07

Nooo ....
I shall eat it up in weekly slices!

Greyduster Thu 04-Mar-21 14:33:54

I thought it was a very creepy, and having just finished two creepy books, I wasn’t in the mood for more. That, and knowing it won’t end well, will make it a difficult watch for me because I am a complete wimp.

Deedaa Thu 04-Mar-21 21:10:01

I've watched the first part so far.Very atmospheric and it's all only going to get worse. I felt so cold by the end of it! DD works at Royal Holloway University where they have Landseer's gory painting of the polar bears eating some of the expedition. "Man proposes, God disposes"

Soroptimum Sat 06-Mar-21 18:41:53

If you like The Terror I highly recommend Michael Palin’s book ‘Erebus’. This was the lead ship, though I suppose they’ve chosen Terror as the title of the series for obvious reasons!

Eloethan Sat 06-Mar-21 18:48:16

That book sounds really interesting.

trisher Sat 06-Mar-21 18:49:48

I thought it was excellent. Really like Ciaran Hinds. I did think it a bit strange that Ciaran Hinds was playing the English man and Jared Harris the Irish man but they were both great.

BBbevan Sun 07-Mar-21 05:00:05

We were glad when the sun came up. We could see what was happening. DH read Michael Palin's book on the Erebus some time ago so we were already interested. Great tv. Last episode to watch on iPlayer tonight