Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Thank you BBC

(102 Posts)
mokryna Sun 11-Apr-21 10:44:46

I would like to thank the BBC as to how they have respected The Duke of Edinburgh for the twenty-fours hours after his death was made known to us.
Some people have complained that they have missed the soaps, sport and other weekly/ daily programs which can be seen at a later date or switch to other channels.
I was very ignorant to many facts of his life and considering his life service to the UK and the Commonwealth, I think they couldn’t have done better

Galaxy Sun 11-Apr-21 10:46:23

Well I think it's been of great benefit to Netflix etc.

Anniebach Sun 11-Apr-21 10:47:17

I agree mokryna

Mamardoit Sun 11-Apr-21 10:49:31

They had the same programme on BBC1 and 2 at one point. I really cannot see the point in doing that.

Grany Sun 11-Apr-21 10:53:44

People have said it was reported non stop the same thing repeated on BBC and other channels comparing it to North Korea when their leader dies and we see it a joke there.

Lots of complaints to the BBC website and I don't wonder at it.

HE did say a lot of racist things throughout his life he was meant to be diplomatic

Mollygo Sun 11-Apr-21 10:54:36

I echo your thanks mokryna.
I agree about BBC1 and BBC2 Marmardoit.

Lillie Sun 11-Apr-21 10:58:24

They certainly had plenty of years to prepare it.
Perhaps that is why so much air time was devoted to it.
It was fitting.

suziewoozie Sun 11-Apr-21 11:10:10

Oh let’s just repeat the discussion we had on the PP thread. Why did you start this thread mokryna when it’s all been said elsewhere? The BBC have just shown themselves up as the Govt puppets they are. I’ve had little if any respect for their news coverage for several years now and Fridays behaviour just proved I was right. I’m planning a day out next Saturday ( generally I leave the country for Royal events but sadly this isn’t an option this time).

BlueBelle Sun 11-Apr-21 11:21:29

With you all the way Suziewoozie nothing at all against the old boy ( except he has said some awful things in the past) but come on the radio, TV, newspapers, have gone into massive overdrive
I m neither a royalist or an anti royalist they are part of out framework and I accept that but the constant adoration on all sides and wall to wall on BBC

Doodledog Sun 11-Apr-21 11:21:45

In a year in which many have lost loved ones, for the death of one 99 year old man to get so much coverage is insensitive, to say the least. At a time when so many people rely on tv for entertainment (in the absence of many other options) it is, IMO, inappropriate to deny them an alternative to what became compulsory mourning of a man most us us will not have met.

The BBC has three televised channels - they could have screened wall-to-wall programming on one of them, for those who wanted it, and left the others free for the rest of us to watch programmes of our choice.

suziewoozie Sun 11-Apr-21 11:27:28

I’m still waiting for the justification for identical coverage on both channels simultaneously? Anyone? Plus closing down BBC3

EllanVannin Sun 11-Apr-21 11:28:43

I watched an old Bond film on Friday night--ITV4, Live and Let Die, thoroughly enjoyed it too as it was a diversion from the sorrow and sadness of the day, so nobody is forced to have to see repeat news or mourn the loss of their beloved programmes.

I wasn't in this country when Diana died, not purposely of course, I just happened to have been 10,000 miles away at the time, but taped the funeral in Oz which I still haven't seen after all these years.

Ilovecheese Sun 11-Apr-21 11:33:45

The people who had no interest in the coverage of the death of Prince Philip also pay their licence fee though, they should not have had to turn to commercial channels as an alternative. Even the most ardent royalist can't watch two channels at the same time.

mokryna Sun 11-Apr-21 11:40:37

suziewoozie

Oh let’s just repeat the discussion we had on the PP thread. Why did you start this thread mokryna when it’s all been said elsewhere? The BBC have just shown themselves up as the Govt puppets they are. I’ve had little if any respect for their news coverage for several years now and Fridays behaviour just proved I was right. I’m planning a day out next Saturday ( generally I leave the country for Royal events but sadly this isn’t an option this time).

The PP thread was to give out feelings regarding The Duke of Edinburgh life and death. I started this thread as it was getting, I thought, derailed by people complaining about the BBC.

suziewoozie Sun 11-Apr-21 11:46:10

Can’t stand Bond films? But that’s still not the point Ellan is it?
ilove I have an image of ardent royalists setting up two TVs side by side so they can have double coverage - after all there must be a logical reason mustn’t there ? ........

suziewoozie Sun 11-Apr-21 11:49:21

The problem is mokryna that is has already been derailed and this thread imo hasn’t helped. Bolting the stable door etc. It’s impossible to stop any thread, let alone a royal one, from wandering ( or being derailed). Look what happened to MM’s pregnancy one - it got deleted.

Charleygirl5 Sun 11-Apr-21 11:56:14

I switched on LBC when I was driving early Saturday evening and switched it off again because again PP was being discussed as it was on TV yesterday. I was interested in seeing and hearing about parts of his life but not wall to wall for more than 12 hours.

No doubt the funeral will be the same, especially as it does not start until 3 pm.

Galaxy Sun 11-Apr-21 11:59:10

It will be interesting if the defunding of the BBC occurs at some point in the future (not something I want however cross the BBC makes me at tines) I cant imagine commercial channels doing wall to wall coverage in such a way. They will be governed by viewing figures.

Lyndylou Sun 11-Apr-21 11:59:48

We ended up watching a programme on the Moselle river and hits from 1985, both of which we enjoyed more than we expected. I like my soaps but it is mainly habit and I really was not concerned about them not being on or having to wait a couple of days for Masterchef or Gardener's World. Usually on a Friday we start looking around for music programmes Sky Arts or BBC4 when it was better than it is now.

I just think it was wrong to have the Phillip programmes on both BBCs and ITV, as people have said you can only watch one channel at a time. I met him in the 70s and I thought he was a pompous old fart but my views have mellowed somewhat since then. Not enough to spend the entire evening watching coverage of his life though.

If the BBC had stuck to one channel and there had been more choice, I think they would have got a lot more praise. In my opinion they overdid the coverage completely.

eazybee Sun 11-Apr-21 12:03:59

Mokryna is expressing her gratitude for the BBC's coverage of the death, and life, of Prince Philip, which demonstrated respect, nothing to do with being the Government's puppets. I agree with her. The programmes were so informative, and it is sad that some of the people who are so vindictive in their dislike of the Royal Family couldn't listen to at least part of them, to gain some understanding of the work that he did.

aggie Sun 11-Apr-21 12:11:26

I did enjoy some of the coverage , but it did get very repetative

Ilovecheese Sun 11-Apr-21 12:12:58

But not all the licence fee payers feel the same, there is nothing vindictive about not being interested.

jacqrose Sun 11-Apr-21 12:17:06

It wasn’t just TV channels taken over but radio too. I tuned into radio 2 last night and the usual programme had been replaced with downbeat tunes and people texting in with their remembrances of the DOE. Honestly, over the top, I switched to Spotify. For anyone interested, it seems like his mother is the more interesting character.

suziewoozie Sun 11-Apr-21 12:22:15

eazybee

Mokryna is expressing her gratitude for the BBC's coverage of the death, and life, of Prince Philip, which demonstrated respect, nothing to do with being the Government's puppets. I agree with her. The programmes were so informative, and it is sad that some of the people who are so vindictive in their dislike of the Royal Family couldn't listen to at least part of them, to gain some understanding of the work that he did.

But you still don’t seem able to differentiate between content and coverage - why simultaneous coverage of the same content? Vindictive is a pretty strong word to use about those of us who believe that we should have had a choice as to whether we watched or not. Perhaps you would have liked to send ‘the boys’ round to tie us to our chairs whilst we watched two TVs at once. Actually I think there should have been big screens out in the streets and loudspeakers broadcasting from alternate lampposts. Now there’s an idea for Saturday ?

Galaxy Sun 11-Apr-21 12:24:20

Yes apparently its vindictive not to be interested in something. How do we get this power? Can I call people names if they dont listen to the archersgrin