Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

All That Glitters

(26 Posts)
Sarnia Thu 15-Apr-21 08:27:03

Some GN's enjoy the art/craft competition programmes. There is a new one on now. 'All That Glitters' features amateur jewellers who this week had to make 3 bangles from silver and a bespoke pendant for a lady receiving her MBE from the Queen. Similar format to the established programmes with a jeweller of the week and someone going home. The only down side for me was the presenter. She is American, which she can't help, but was a bit OTT.

kittylester Thu 15-Apr-21 08:33:17

I think Katherine Ryan is Canadian. I really like her - well apart from the self penned sit com thing she did.

I have recorded the jewellery programme.

Beechnut Thu 15-Apr-21 08:33:55

I missed that. I’ll have a look on catch up later as I’ve done some silver smithing.

Sarnia Thu 15-Apr-21 12:31:26

kittylester

I think Katherine Ryan is Canadian. I really like her - well apart from the self penned sit com thing she did.

I have recorded the jewellery programme.

Oh dear. There is me assuming she is American. We had a lovely Canadian consultant on the delivery suite I worked on who was not impressed when taken for an American.

Casdon Thu 15-Apr-21 12:37:47

I watched, and I liked Katherine Ryan, I thought she was genuinely interested in the work. I was actually less keen on the lady judge, I thought she came over as a bit patronising, and didn’t seem to have a sense of humour, hopefully she will warm up over the weeks.

Alegrias1 Thu 15-Apr-21 12:42:52

I looked up the lady judge, some of her jewellery is amazing. Need a second mortgage to buy it though! I'm looking forward to seeing how they make things, I know nothing about jewellery making.

Auntieflo Thu 15-Apr-21 15:26:19

I haven't watched this, so perhaps I shouldn't be posting, and giving an opinion.
I saw that it was to be presented by Katherine Ryan, and I really dislike her, from the one time I saw her being interviewed.

It was that instant feeling that you get when you either like/dislike a person.

grandMattie Thu 15-Apr-21 15:32:49

I enjoyed the programme hugely. Yes, the lady judge was patronising and she seemed removed, not really examining the craftsmanship like the chap did.
What is a shames is the times given. Ok, to make a cake you need 2 hours or whatever, but they seemed to give such a short time for acceptable work. I’m sure if they gave an extra hour or more especially for the bespoke item, the contestants may have produced much better items.

BBbevan Thu 15-Apr-21 18:59:33

Pedantic, but All that Glisters is correct .

EllanVannin Thu 15-Apr-21 19:10:04

I'm the odd one out here because I prefer antique jewellery, far better value and much cheaper.

merlotgran Thu 15-Apr-21 19:21:48

I thought it was dull and boring. The judges had no charisma and looked as though they'd rather not be there.

I like Katherine Ryan but thought she was trying too hard.

It's not a patch on Bake Off or Sewing Bee.

DanniRae Fri 16-Apr-21 08:14:13

I didn't like it and gave up when it got to the second task. I did like the beautiful bangles that they made in the first task and the examples of the contestants previous work BUT I found the processes that they had to go through to make the jewellery so boring to watch (all that sawing of the silver....yawn!) I also did not like Katherine Ryan. I thought she was really not that interested in the contestants or the jewellery and I found one of her comments during the programme really crude.

jusnoneed Fri 16-Apr-21 08:22:59

Found it a bit boring.
Never heard of Katherine Ryan before and wouldn't be in a hurry to see/hear her again, she got on my nerves with her stupid chatter.

lemsip Fri 16-Apr-21 19:51:22

Katherine Ryan is a Canadian comedian, writer, presenter and actress based in the United Kingdom.

really like Katherine as a comedian but haven't watched Glitter yet.

Deedaa Tue 20-Apr-21 18:37:25

I had recorded it but hadn't got round to watching as I read several poor reviews. However I gave it a go and really enjoyed it. I suppose a lot of it is slow and boring if you haven't got a background in design and the judges have no personality at all but are obviously very good designers. Probably not mass entertainment but fascinating if you are interested.

Sarnia Wed 19-May-21 09:35:23

A very close final. I didn't mind who won and won't mention it in case some people haven't watched it yet. I thought they were a very talented group of jewellers and I was amazed how they managed to produce such lovely work in a fairly short time.

henetha Wed 19-May-21 09:38:03

I thought it improved as it went along and we got to know the people involved. Some of the jewellery was beautiful, and I hope there is a second series.

annodomini Wed 19-May-21 11:23:28

These were not 'amateur jewellers' as the OP suggests. Dan, one of the finalists, is 40 and has been a jeweller making items from other designers, who has, in this series, found his feet as a designer and I must say, I loved the delicacy of his design in the final. The winner, who is 24, has been a practising his trade since his teens and is a highly promising designer. I just wish I could see myself affording his designs!

muse Wed 19-May-21 12:43:08

Brilliant programme. I am a fan though of all craft/art type competitions. Judges were excellent.

Not overly impressed with Katherine as a presenter.

Loved Sonny's work but very pleased with the winner.

Lucca Wed 19-May-21 12:48:18

I love jewellery and love the pottery programme and the sewing bee but this I find tedious I’ve only watched one and a half.

ginny Wed 19-May-21 14:30:37

Loved Hugo’s earrings, stunning.

Amberone Wed 19-May-21 15:33:07

I love watching people practice a skill, whether it is plumbing, sewing or jewellery making so I find these programs fascinating. I have very little interest in the people so don't really care who wins but do like to see the different interpretations of the brief. I didn't much like Katherine Ryan at the beginning but found she grew on me (much like Joe Lycett in the Sewing Bee). By the end of the series I was quite enjoying it, and some of the pieces that were made were quite stunning, and all very different.

MawBe Wed 19-May-21 15:43:11

I came relatively late to this, TG for iPlayer!
But have loved it and while IMO there was not a lot to choose between Hugo and Dan, I thought the right man won for his artistic flair and vision!

biglouis Wed 19-May-21 16:10:40

I found some of Katherine Ryan's so called jokes pretty inane. For example in the week when the jewellers were using alternative materials one was looking for steel wool (a not unreasonable thing to have in a jewellery workshop). She was asking "are there any sheep?" which I assume was supposed to be witty. I found her accent and manner annoying and trite. I also disliked the female judge.

The jewellers in the final were all equally talented but I agree with the verdict. The winner is a real artist and so young. I imagine he will go far. I also loved the young woman's creations with the pearls.

I do prefer antique jewellery but love to see any skilled artist or crafter at their work.

Jane43 Wed 19-May-21 19:01:45

The female judge was very cold and dour wasn’t she? She did improve slightly though towards the last episode. I loved the challenges and for me the right jeweller won.