Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Ian Wright

(26 Posts)
Lucca Fri 07-May-21 09:29:16

Did anyone watch his programme last night ? I was moved to tears by it. How good too to hear him praise his teacher and the modern pastoral system in his old school.

BlueBelle Fri 07-May-21 09:33:26

A strong meaningful and well intentioned programme
I thought he did it very well bless his heart to still care so much for his mum and the bond with his brother was good to see
I m glad he has a happy family life and has overcome his anger and not passed the abuse on

Polarbear2 Fri 07-May-21 09:35:16

I found it incredibly moving. My OH was in tears. It was very thought provoking personally.

suziewoozie Fri 07-May-21 09:36:38

No I didn’t but you’ve made me want to. Dh once went to a talk given by Sue Lawley. She said the one stand out from her time on Desert Island Discs was the number of guests who mentioned their teachers and the impact/ encouragement they had given which contributed to their success.

EllanVannin Fri 07-May-21 09:40:41

Heartbreaking.

Dee1012 Fri 07-May-21 09:44:42

It was a very powerful and poignant programme.

While changes have been made, much more needs to be done to protect children in these circumstances.

Lucca Fri 07-May-21 09:51:32

The thought of them all living in one room..... the dreadful cruelty of the match of the Day story ( I won’t spoil it Suziewoozie you should definitely watch it on iPlayer).

JessK Fri 07-May-21 10:06:03

A very thought provoking programme. Well done Ian Wright for highlighting such distress children can suffer. I'm so glad he has been able to rise above the abuse and be happy with his family.

lemsip Fri 07-May-21 11:38:56

The other people on the show shared their stories and they too were heart- rending The other mad told how he'd be sitting eating his bowl of cornflakes and his father would knock it out of his hand and he'd end up on the floor as a small child. And the young lady who's own father had strict fear provoking control over the family.
www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000vt7g/ian-wright-home-truths

Kate1949 Fri 07-May-21 15:12:43

I've just watched this. I had a similar childhood to Ian. This is the first programme I have seen that provided and insight into the lasting effects of witnessing and suffering abuse. As Ian says, there was little help available then and it's wonderful that there is so much help now.
In my case it was the 1950s and early 60s do you can imagine what it was like then. Well done Ian.

suziewoozie Fri 07-May-21 16:33:29

I’ve just watched it. What an impressive and genuine person he came across as.So good with people and it somehow managed to be personal but not self centred. It didn’t dramatise but clearly set out the long term damage and how abuse has to addressed. The Hampton project looked really promising and hopeful. Thanks Lucca without your recommendation I’m afraid I would have pigeon holed it as being another celebrity misery memoir- now I realise how unkind and unfair that would have been. I don’t like to put too much personal stuff on here but let’s just say, there was resonance. The best thing I’ve done in my life is give my dd a safe and happy childhood and I see that being replicated in my dgc.

LullyDully Fri 07-May-21 17:26:53

Such an honest, moving programme. What brave people to be that candid.

It sadly reminds me of children I have taught and it is heart breaking that children have to suffer like that at the hands of bullying adults. They themselves were most likely treated in a similar manner in their own childhoods . How can that circle be broken?

I did feel tears in my eyes when Ian met up with his old teacher. There is no doubt in my mind that the role teachers play is invaluable and not to be ignored.

Kate1949 Fri 07-May-21 17:45:09

In my case the circle was broken. My childhood was hell and I would never in a million years put a child of mine through that.
Like suziewoozie all I wanted for my daughter was that she was safe, cared for and clean, which I never was.

Sarnia Fri 07-May-21 18:23:19

Kate1949

In my case the circle was broken. My childhood was hell and I would never in a million years put a child of mine through that.
Like suziewoozie all I wanted for my daughter was that she was safe, cared for and clean, which I never was.

All credit to you that you broke that cycle of abuse and have given your daughter the childhood you did not receive.

Kate1949 Fri 07-May-21 18:26:54

Thank you Sarnia. It never occurred to me to do anything else.

TerriT Fri 07-May-21 18:59:00

I too broke the circle as Kate 1949. When you’ve been unloved,uncared for, emotionally abused etc the last thing you would surely do it put your children through the same horrible existence. There is much more I could say but it is a public forum as someone else has said .

Kate1949 Fri 07-May-21 19:05:58

Exactly TerriT Good for you. I sometimes post too much information.
A lot of what I went through was quite horrendous. Not for a public forum.

LondonMzFitz Mon 10-May-21 13:29:34

As a '70's child there was a lot that brought back some bitter memories, nothing like the phsical abuse those on the programme had but gawd my Mum could be a right cow to the overly sensitive little girl I was. I see emotional abuse towards me and my sisters now, which she seemed to think completely normal.

It was the teacher segment that had me proper bawling - 'I couldn't find him,' said Ian, who dedicated his 2016 autobiography A Life in Football to his former teacher.

www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-8009667/Ian-Wright-breaks-tears-brands-teacher-Mr-Pigden-greatest-man-world.html

Corryanna Mon 10-May-21 16:15:54

I wept through most of the programme too.
Kate and Terri, my childhood was terrible, like yours. The memories of the physical and emotional abuse are with me for life - I'm guessing you feel that way too? I loved school as I was encouraged to do my best and praised if did well. I used to wish that my history teacher was my mum as she was so kind. Although retired now, I went onto be a teacher. I'll never forget being in the newsagent's one Saturday and this tall young builder said "Excuse me miss, I'm sorry for being bad in your class all those years ago.............how's things?" This lad had ADHD (he was unable to stay settled and/or quiet) and he was very disruptive. I was so proud of him that Saturday!

Kate1949 Mon 10-May-21 16:59:33

Yes Corryanna Very much so.im sorry you suffered too. Unfortunately for me, school was awful too (think Catholic nuns and priests terrorising us), bullied because I lost my teeth through neglect. I'm glad you had kindness at school.

Corryanna Tue 11-May-21 12:12:29

Oh Kate, I’m sorry you had to endure so much at their hands, glad you are free from it now. We lived so remotely “cosy community” perfect family to others but hell behind closed doors. No more thank God x

Kate1949 Tue 11-May-21 12:30:15

Thank you Corryanna. I'm glad you are free of it now.

Kim19 Tue 11-May-21 12:39:33

I'm glad I didn't watch it. Sounds too harrowing for me. The stuff of nightmares. I suspected as much when I saw the ads and chose to give it a miss.

Kate1949 Tue 11-May-21 13:19:07

I understand your reasoning Kim. It was a bit harrowing but programmes like this help me, knowing that I wasn't the only one to suffer in this way.

Purplepixie Tue 11-May-21 13:27:21

I wont read your comments as I have yet to watch it. Such a brave person.