Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Do we really want to watch people brush their teeth?

(66 Posts)
AcornFairy Sun 09-May-21 19:27:46

Does anyone else find the current trend to show characters on TV and film brushing their teeth - when there is absolutely no dental storyline - somewhat puzzling? Is this the thin end of the wedge when it comes to cameras in the bathroom?!

Bakingmad0203 Sun 09-May-21 20:00:14

Yes I’ve noticed the same thing! I don’t get it at all. It makes me cringe as it sets my teeth on edge ( no pun intended)
I’d be interested to hear what the reasons are behind it - if any!

eazybee Sun 09-May-21 20:41:31

I absolutely cannot bear it! If I had a phobia it would be watching people cleaning their teeth or somebody watching me; I think it is all the spitting and gargling.

vampirequeen Sun 09-May-21 20:48:21

I can't stand it either. The only film I've seen where it's been necessary to the storyline is in Tommyknockers when people begin to lose their teeth.

BigBertha1 Sun 09-May-21 22:32:17

I hate it too. Do people really share the bathroom while cleaning there teeth and chatting through the whole dribbly business. I would never have side by side basins in a bathroom I like a bit of privacy for ones toilette.

BigBertha1 Sun 09-May-21 22:32:48

Their teeth sorry

Chestnut Sun 09-May-21 23:29:55

What puzzles me is how they can walk around chatting while cleaning their teeth. I am pouring toothpaste everywhere and have to stand over the washbasin. Maybe that's just me.

Ro60 Sun 09-May-21 23:55:48

And eating! Another thing I don't need to see so much of.

vampirequeen Mon 10-May-21 07:00:21

In fact everything that is done in the bathroom. We all know what usually happens in that room. We don't need to see it. That said I'm not averse to seeing Jason Statham stepping out of the bathroom with just a towel around his waist in the Meg grin

suziewoozie Mon 10-May-21 07:28:26

I end up wondering why they don’t have an electric toothbrush or criticising their technique ? It’s the weeing with sound effects that makes me cringe - especially if they don’t then wash their hands

Calendargirl Mon 10-May-21 07:30:44

They never seem to clean their teeth properly, and certainly don’t rinse their mouths out very well. They must still end up with a mouthful of toothpaste.

Marmight Mon 10-May-21 07:44:46

Calendargirl. - as a matter of interest. these days dentists advocate only spitting out excess toothpaste and not rinsing! Fluoride in the paste then remains in the mouth to do its stuff.

IMO bathroom activity is sacrosanct & not for public viewing at home or on the telly ?

Santana Mon 10-May-21 07:45:15

vampirequeen

I can't stand it either. The only film I've seen where it's been necessary to the storyline is in Tommyknockers when people begin to lose their teeth.

Oh the Tommyknockers!
I must read that Stephen King book again. Forgotten how good it was.

Calendargirl Mon 10-May-21 08:29:38

Marmight

*Calendargirl*. - as a matter of interest. these days dentists advocate only spitting out excess toothpaste and not rinsing! Fluoride in the paste then remains in the mouth to do its stuff.

IMO bathroom activity is sacrosanct & not for public viewing at home or on the telly ?

Ugh!?

Chestnut Mon 10-May-21 10:30:40

these days dentists advocate only spitting out excess toothpaste and not rinsing! Fluoride in the paste then remains in the mouth to do its stuff.
Adults don't need fluoride, and they have force-fed us all fluoride in the water anyway so children get it there. And adults are likely to still have food particles in their mouth so rinsing them out with water is essential I'd say.

rockgran Mon 10-May-21 11:37:25

In modern dramas I find there is often too much personal hygiene stuff which I would rather not have to see! Also, I get annoyed when they never finish a drink or a meal! I realise they can't talk and eat very easily but I hate the wasted food!

Littleannie Mon 10-May-21 19:46:39

Even worse is when they show people vomiting!

TrendyNannie6 Mon 10-May-21 19:50:50

It annoys me

HurdyGurdy Tue 11-May-21 10:36:47

Littleannie - exactly this. Why oh why oh why do we need to see people vomiting. It can be portrayed in a way that doesn't necessitate the actor spitting out scotch broth.

It is disgusting.

I could also live without the audio accompaniment

inishowen Tue 11-May-21 10:38:48

Even worse they show women sitting on the toilet. That is cringworthy.

Cuckooz Tue 11-May-21 10:41:24

Totally agree. We don’t need to see brushing teeth, peeing or vomiting. Eew!

Daisend1 Tue 11-May-21 10:42:56

Eating /teeth cleaning not bothered, sitting or standing up to have a pee I do not want to see.

jaylucy Tue 11-May-21 10:44:43

Maybe the script writers or directors do it as a joke , just to see if an actor can actually say their lines when they have a mouthful of toothpaste ?
Eating on tv ? You should watch the Aussie soaps - they order food that no one ever eats!
What a choice of takeaways too - pizza or pizza!!!

Stillwaters Tue 11-May-21 10:48:42

I don't see any problem with any of it

Missiseff Tue 11-May-21 10:52:22

Loooool!!!!