Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

New drama tonight & tomorrow BBC1 9pm ... 3 Families

(31 Posts)
Urmstongran Mon 10-May-21 16:02:30

Anyone else fancy watching it?

“It was only two years ago that the women of Northern Ireland were granted the right to an abortion, 52 years after the rest of the UK. This two-part piece, written by Gwyneth Hughes, dramatises the true stories of a trio of women in Northern Ireland wanting abortions but denied them prior to the law changing. We meet two in episode one and that’s enough, given the emotional toll their unwanted pregnancies take on them and us. Sinéad Keenan, who packed such a punch in 2017’s Little Boy Blue, turns in another gutsy performance as a warrior mum: she’s Theresa, who contravenes her own beliefs to help her 15-year-old daughter terminate a pregnancy and ends up in trouble with the law. Elsewhere, mum-to-be Hannah (Amy James-Kelly) learns that not only does her longed-for baby have fatal fetal abnormalities, but that she must carry it to full term.

The anonymised tales are allowed to unfold gradually in order to engender indignation in viewers at the stress the women endure and the treatment meted out by a heartless system. The opener draws us in with two powerful personal tales that put a human face on thorny policy issues. Concludes tomorrow.”

Grandmajean Mon 10-May-21 16:16:32

I saw the trailer for this last night and quite fancy it. Not sure OH will , though , so might be watching on my own.

Gannygangan Mon 10-May-21 16:17:45

Ooh yes, I saw a trailer for this . Thanks for the reminder!

Jaxjacky Mon 10-May-21 16:19:15

Yes, I’ll be watching, Mr J will be in the room, he may well watch as he’s from N Ireland.

Maggiemaybe Mon 10-May-21 16:42:08

We'll be recording it and watching it after we've seen Motherland and Inside Number 9, that both have new series starting tonight.

merlotgran Mon 10-May-21 16:58:03

I'll catch up with it on iPlayer because I want to watch Baby Surgeons on Channel 4

Sar53 Mon 10-May-21 18:33:52

I will be watching this on I player when DH is not around, likewise Baby Surgeons, Casualty and the new series of Hospital starting this week.

EllanVannin Mon 10-May-21 18:48:58

I'll give it sixpenn'orth, as Little Boy Blue was a well acted series which I enjoyed.

Patsy70 Mon 10-May-21 19:06:18

Thank you Urmstongran, just seen your post. We’ll be watching tonight, although I did suggest recording it and watching it on my own, but OH is interested too.

mrshat Mon 10-May-21 20:14:20

I'll be doing the same as merlot. I could watch 4 different channels at 9.00pm tonight, so annoying. Will have to try to 'catch-up' on them all wink

Urmstongran Mon 10-May-21 22:51:54

That was a bit of a rollercoaster of an episode. Great acting. Quite believable (based on true stories) obviously showing just how bad the need for an abortion can be. That hospital consultant was an arse wasn’t he, the way he said ‘this pregnancy has to go full term in the normal way’.

Part 2 tomorrow night.

Ellianne Mon 10-May-21 23:13:25

I thought it was very powerful. The acting was excellent.

Jane43 Tue 11-May-21 12:53:37

I watched it and found it excellent and very emotional, I will be watching the second episode.

Lin52 Tue 11-May-21 14:02:59

Urmstongran

That was a bit of a rollercoaster of an episode. Great acting. Quite believable (based on true stories) obviously showing just how bad the need for an abortion can be. That hospital consultant was an arse wasn’t he, the way he said ‘this pregnancy has to go full term in the normal way’.

Part 2 tomorrow night.

Believe me all this is true, working as a FPN, I saw it happen, so sad it took NI to see humanity instead of religious bigotry.

Charleygirl5 Tue 11-May-21 15:03:19

Well acted, powerful- it had me gripped and I will definitely be watching tonight's episode.

I feel like screaming at the BBC, this and Line of Duty is what we want to watch.

BlueBelle Tue 11-May-21 15:13:06

Excellent I thought it was well portrayed true to life and will carry on with the next episode
Yes the consultant was a total arsxxxe

Urmstongran Tue 11-May-21 17:11:39

This tv review was in the Telegraph this morning:

Drama
Three Families

BBC One, 9pm

Sometimes it takes a drama to evoke the emotional heart of an issue in a way that documentaries cannot match. This hard-hitting two-parter, from writer Gwyneth Hughes and based on the testimonies of real-life people, about the recent campaign to align the law on abortion in Northern Ireland with the rest of the UK takes on that challenge.

In tonight’s concluding part, a High Court victory for campaigners is again frustrated by Stormont.

Jane43 Tue 11-May-21 22:07:24

Every so often a programme is shown that on its own is worth the licence fee, this was one of those programmes for me, absolute quality in every respect.

EllanVannin Tue 11-May-21 22:10:37

Sorry, didn't see this so I went and made another thread asking if anyone watched it--------trust me ( rolls eyes )

Ellianne Tue 11-May-21 22:16:49

A supercharged drama. It was harrowing but uplifting at the same time.
Beautiful music and excellent acting. I agree with Charleygirl, the BBC would do well to have more programmes like this.

Urmstongran Tue 11-May-21 22:30:13

I thought it was excellent.

Chilling though at the end when the statement said ‘abortion is legal in N.I. up to 12 weeks. ..... in theory. Many women still come to England’.

Just looked up on Google. It’s legal in Spain & Italy.
Catholic countries.

Shandy57 Tue 11-May-21 22:32:00

I binge watched it, couldn't wait. I thought it was very well acted and one of the better dramas I've seen this year.

Kate1949 Tue 11-May-21 22:53:08

Excellent drama.

silverlining48 Tue 11-May-21 22:55:41

It was a powerful and moving story brilliantly done and one which needs to be told.
Legal... only in theory? So the journey over the water continues.
Really worth watching.

sodapop Wed 12-May-21 09:03:59

Excellent programme, well acted and very moving. I agree Urmstongran I was horrified to see they still didn't supply the necessary services. Women are clearly still second class citizens.