Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

A Man Called Ove (In Spanish - A Grumpy Man)

(9 Posts)
Heathermomo Wed 12-May-21 13:21:02

This is a Swedish film, available on Prime. (In Swedish, subtitled) It tells the story of the lead character, an elderly widower who lost his wife fairly recently and is having difficulty carrying on with his life. (In an utterly charming carless housing development, I'd move there in a shot!)
That actually sounds awful and depressing, but it's not. It's touching, gentle and heartfelt. I felt a better person for watching it and it isn't sad - although tears were streaming down my face as it ended. But I always cry when I see something touching.

Maggiemaybe Thu 13-May-21 19:02:43

I've just bought the book (by Fredrick Backman), Heathermomo, on the strong recommendation of a friend of mine. She really enjoyed it. I hadn't realised there was a film as well. I'll have to look out for it, as I don't have Prime.

MayBee70 Thu 13-May-21 19:05:41

We saw it at the cinema and I then bought the dvd. It’s a lovely film even though that’s hard to believe given the storyline!

eazybee Thu 13-May-21 19:09:48

I enjoyed the book; haven't seen the film.

CanadianGran Thu 13-May-21 19:24:32

Read the book when it was released in english and really enjoyed it. I have read other books by the same author Frederik Backman and have enjoyed them.

The movie did a good job of conveying the story.

lemongrove Thu 13-May-21 19:36:41

I read the book a couple of years ago, it’s lovely.I especially liked the cat!
Ove is on ‘the spectrum’ and sees life in a different way to most of us.

Pittcity Thu 13-May-21 19:45:04

I enjoyed the book and cried throughout. Will put the film on my watch list.

Aveline Thu 13-May-21 19:46:26

I loved the book but wouldn't want to see a film of it somehow. I also adored 'Britt Marie is here' by the same author. Soooo good.

EllanVannin Thu 13-May-21 20:08:35

I'm sure I saw this a few years ago. It's also funny in parts if I remember, but so sad because he misses his wife and wants to be with her. Well worth a watch.