Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Run out of things to watch!

(126 Posts)
GagaJo Wed 12-May-21 22:09:56

In the last few months, I have a re/watched a lot of TV series (lockdown). Keep the Homefires Burning, Handmaid's Tale, Duchess of Duke Street, South Riding, Doc Martin, Nip Tuck.

But I have run out. Any suggestions?

I don't like usually like American stuff. Tried House, because of Hugh Laurie but thought it was too shmaltzy.

Redhead56 Wed 12-May-21 23:19:14

This is Us and The Office U.S both American but really good and totally addictive.

seacliff Thu 13-May-21 03:37:28

The Killing Danish version, s1. Sub titles but so gripping, best I've seen of Scandi Noir type.

Alima Thu 13-May-21 05:50:01

I have just re-watched all three series of The Beiderbecke Affair. Still loved it. (On Brit Box, I don’t do American stuff either, well, apart from all the old Wessies).

Lin52 Thu 13-May-21 07:42:04

Have been watching re runs of Wycliffe, can’t abide Emmerdale, Endeavour, Call the midwife, as for scandi crime Walter presents on More Four plenty to watch from Iceland Germany etc.

pensionpat Thu 13-May-21 08:02:22

We’ve watched more tv than ever before and have favourites that we can re-watch e.g. Episodes, Fleabag, Dectectorists, Spooks, Silent Witness.

Humbertbear Thu 13-May-21 08:37:42

We are re-watching West Wing for the umpteenth time. I am also re-watching Fauda on Netflix and my daughter is re-watching The Gilmore Girls.

rubysong Thu 13-May-21 08:47:07

We are also enjoying the old Wycliffe series. We've seen all of Lewis and Midsomer Murders. In recent months we saw The Darling Buds of May, which led to me buying DH a double eggcup at Christmas. We love Repair Shop and Call the Midwife.

LindaPat Thu 13-May-21 08:55:25

We've recently started watching Line of Duty, from the beginning. When the final series ended recently, everyone was talking about it ( no spoilers please, we're only up to the middle of series 3! ), so we thought we'd give it a go.

We were hooked from the first episode, and can easily watch 2 episodes a night! Give it a go! x

Sar53 Thu 13-May-21 09:20:37

I have just finished watching Hidden on the BBC I Player. Set in Wales with a mixture of Welsh with subtitles and English. A bit dark but worth a watch.

Aveline Thu 13-May-21 11:01:51

I'm currently hooked on 'Nurse Jackie'. It's American but pretty gritty at times. A good / bad character and well acted by Carmella from the Sopranos in a very different role.
I watch it via NOW TV but its a Sky programme.

Witzend Thu 13-May-21 11:09:59

If you’ve never seen The Detectorists, that’s well worth a watch. Still an all time favourite of ours. Quirky and different, with some lovely scenery thrown in. And nothing violent. BBC iPlayer.

Oh, and Last Tango In Halifax. We hadn’t watched it first time around but thoroughly enjoyed it on catch up. Can’t remember which channel though, sorry.

Boz Thu 13-May-21 14:06:17

If you want something lighter to watch try the Danish Seaside hotel (Badehottell) on More4. Its a Danish upstairs-downstairs and very likeable; funny and good to look at. They offer the first 2 series for free but you can always buy the dvd's of the subsequent 6 series (which I have done). It is a period drama running from 1928 to the War years.

May7 Thu 13-May-21 21:50:49

Gagajo I know you've said you dont do American series but have you watched Orange is the New Black
It's about a womens correctional facility prison. It's both side splitting funny and desperately heartbreaking. Certainly not for the faint hearted or easily offended. I think there are 6 series in all on Netflix. Got to admit it had me hooked

tidyskatemum Thu 13-May-21 22:15:28

We are getting desperate, having gone through every episode of Inspector Montalbano more than once after despairing of the rubbish on live TV. We started watching the rerun of The Killing on BBC 4 but it moves so slowly and spends such big chunks of each episode repeating things that we couldn’t stomach sitting through the whole series. And Line of Duty just sounds like hell. DH hasn’t seen any of Unforgotten. I could always make the sacrifice of watching all 4 series again…….

Juliet27 Sat 15-May-21 10:34:51

I’ve recently found Hustle on bbc iPlayer and am thoroughly enjoying the series

readalot Sat 15-May-21 10:38:47

You want to watch The Missing on iPlayer, there are two series also a spin off series called Baptiste. Watched all of Vera and Endeavour. There are some good programmes on my5, Rich house Poor house, filthy house sos.

Alioop Sat 15-May-21 10:43:03

I've started to watch the American version of The Coroner that seems as if it will be a good show, but there's an English one with Clare Goose in it. The Disappearance was good too and if I want a bit of comedy Dinnerladies and a bit of Mrs.Bucket makes me chuckle.

Delila Sat 15-May-21 10:43:18

Make an exception for the American series, Homeland. It’s thrilling (& addictive).

Greciangirl Sat 15-May-21 10:46:33

For some strange reason, I am watching repeats of Four in a Bed, on channel 4, 5pm daily.
There’s something fascinating about watching other people’s living habits. It’s a look in where couples swap B&B’s for a night. At the end of the week, the ones judged to be the best win the covered plaque.
Also, Rich house, Poor house. All repeated, of course.

Greciangirl Sat 15-May-21 10:47:10

Coveted plaque.

Greciangirl Sat 15-May-21 10:48:43

In my opinion, Homeland went on too long.
Very good for the first series.

Lucca Sat 15-May-21 10:49:12

Boz

If you want something lighter to watch try the Danish Seaside hotel (Badehottell) on More4. Its a Danish upstairs-downstairs and very likeable; funny and good to look at. They offer the first 2 series for free but you can always buy the dvd's of the subsequent 6 series (which I have done). It is a period drama running from 1928 to the War years.

Oh I loved that and would like to watch the rest but have non DVD player !

I keep recommending Netflix series Offspring!
Plus
Queens Gambit
The bridge
Grace aNd frankie.
RitA
Call my agent

Alison333 Sat 15-May-21 10:51:49

If you like light hearted historical stuff, 'Harlots' is good. Set in the 18th century with a strong cast including Lesley Manville. I think there are 3 seasons of it.

Nannashirlz Sat 15-May-21 10:55:27

I’ve also completed your list and also found myself watching The walking Dead (amazon)all ten seasons had me hooked. I’m not normal one who would watch zombies but it’s also a story. Then I went onto watching Game of thrones. Also something I’d was late in catching up on and I used to say it wouldn’t be my cup of tea. I’d recommend them both for gripping stories. Or how about Outlander (amazon) that also good, it’s time travel through some stones, after all every woman needs a Jamie ? I always say give them two exp before you decide if it’s for you or not. I’ve now decided I will watch anything. Because you can’t say you don’t like if you haven’t tried to watch it can you.