Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

The Father

(47 Posts)
mokryna Thu 10-Jun-21 20:44:39

Even though it was a very sad, emotional film it was beautiful and educational, dementia is an awful disorder.
We can appreciate why Anthony Hopkins won the Oscar.

Urmstongran Thu 10-Jun-21 20:50:14

I think I’d like to watch this film.

It’s also sad that in real life he and his daughter have been estranged for over 20y with no chance (he said, in an interview recently) of speaking ever again. I think Anthony Hopkins is in his mid-80’s now.

sodapop Thu 10-Jun-21 21:00:22

I thought it looked like a good film too. Hopefully it will find its way to France before long.

That's sad about the estrangement with his daughter Urmstongran

mokryna Thu 10-Jun-21 21:00:52

I made me think of euthanasia as what is the purpose of living if you didn’t know your family.

mokryna Thu 10-Jun-21 21:01:58

It has been in France for the last week. I saw it this afternoon in English. We were only two in the salle.

Whatdayisit Thu 10-Jun-21 21:14:25

Going to book to see it next week. It was a should now it's a must thankyou. He is a great actor so best seeing in the cinema to give the film it's due.
The cinema is the thing i have missed most after family.

BlueBelle Fri 11-Jun-21 06:36:27

I went to see Judy Dench and Eddie Izard in “Six minutes to Midnight” yesterday with my friend at the cinema and they advertised “The father” it looks very powerful and very sad I ll definitely go to see that one I think it’s on in a couple of weeks
I ll be so glad when the cinemas are a bit more normal there is no atmosphere, about twenty people in the auditorium, dotted here and there, but lovely to be back

sodapop Fri 11-Jun-21 07:00:29

Thanks mokryna I will look out for it.

Lucca Fri 11-Jun-21 07:44:03

BlueBelle

I went to see Judy Dench and Eddie Izard in “Six minutes to Midnight” yesterday with my friend at the cinema and they advertised “The father” it looks very powerful and very sad I ll definitely go to see that one I think it’s on in a couple of weeks
I ll be so glad when the cinemas are a bit more normal there is no atmosphere, about twenty people in the auditorium, dotted here and there, but lovely to be back

Did you enjoy “six minutes to midnight “ ?

polnan Sat 12-Jun-21 10:39:08

I am fed up with crying, thank you.
and though I have family, I admit, that it is my cat that is keeping me going!

Dryginger Sat 12-Jun-21 10:51:56

I love my cat to bits too. I love Anthony Hopkins even though he gets a bit hammy sometimes but I dont like sad films And I dont like that luvvy actress (cant remember her name) she seems to be in everything at the moment.

icanhandthemback Sat 12-Jun-21 10:53:26

I love seeing Anthony Hopkins but don't know if I can bear this film right now. My mother has just been diagnosed with Alzheimers and Vascular Dementia which, although it was what I anticipated, has been more upsetting than I realised it would be. Watching a feisty, bloody minded, awkward, cussed woman fading into a frightened, confused, vulnerable shadow of herself is gut wrenching. I'm not sure that a film in similar vein is entertainment right now.

Placida Sat 12-Jun-21 10:55:17

Saw The Father in the Picture House in Clapham yesterday. Kept my attention throughout. Worth seeing.

greenlady102 Sat 12-Jun-21 11:00:03

I really do not get why people want to see sad films or Tv programs or read sad books.....I mean why?????

Dryginger Sat 12-Jun-21 11:01:17

So sorry to hear that Icanhandthemback. It is such a awful illness my heart goes out to you and your mum. ❤

Summerfly Sat 12-Jun-21 11:03:05

POLNAN
Thank goodness for cats ?‍⬛ ?

Moggycuddler Sat 12-Jun-21 11:05:12

I'm sure it's an excellent film and AH is brilliant. But these days I don't like films or books or music that make me overly sad or depressed. Why do it to yourself when life is short?

Dinahmo Sat 12-Jun-21 11:20:31

sodapop

I thought it looked like a good film too. Hopefully it will find its way to France before long.

That's sad about the estrangement with his daughter Urmstongran

It's here now. Going to see it tomorrow - VO

Joy47 Sat 12-Jun-21 11:28:03

Arthritis is causing me to have difficulty accessing the low cupboards in my sideboard and living room/ dining room tall units. There must be others with this problem and if so how did you solve it? Joy Davies

marq66 Sat 12-Jun-21 11:33:41

We saw this film last week and thought it very powerful. I didn't 'want' to see it but I knew I must as it is a topic that cannot be avoided. I am aware there is a danger for all of us this could be in our future in some way. To watch this director's brilliant way of immersing us in what the father was feeling, helps one connect in a very small way with the terror of this illness. I am using it to discuss with my husband actions or desires, if either of us end up on this path - a topic we've both avoided before. I think these films are important (as are the films of Mike Leigh on contemporary issues). They lift awareness, provoke discussion and encourage us to challenge preconceived ideas. Hopefully this film will make us alert to offering support or empathy to someone trying to support a loved one in this position. It was a particular delight to see such excellent actors tackling this difficult topic.

Parisgranny Sat 12-Jun-21 11:36:11

It is out in France. Saw it this week

greenlady102 Sat 12-Jun-21 11:37:10

Joy47

Arthritis is causing me to have difficulty accessing the low cupboards in my sideboard and living room/ dining room tall units. There must be others with this problem and if so how did you solve it? Joy Davies

I have trashed both knees and have emptied my low cupboards of the things I need to access

Witzend Sat 12-Jun-21 11:38:46

Having seen far too much of dementia in both my mother and my FiL, I would welcome any film - especially starring Anthony Hopkins - that shows the realities of dementia - so many people (understandably if they haven’t lived with it) don’t have a clue and seem to think it’s just a case of a nice old thing gently getting more forgetful. So how dare you put them in a home, you nasty, selfish, uncaring person?

I’d like to see the film, but I do wonder whether it will show the realities so many relatives have to live with - rages, accusations of stealing from them, general nastiness towards loved ones, when they’d never have dreamt of saying such things before, up and down half the night, banging and shouting… etc. etc.

Froglady Sat 12-Jun-21 11:44:56

Looking forward to watching this film very soon.

Kate1949 Sat 12-Jun-21 11:57:10

We watched it. Anthony Hopkins was marvellous as usual. Not an easy watch especially for those going through it. However, it certainly gives an insight into this terrible illness.
Personally, the reason I watch difficult or sad films is that it helps me realise that most people have problems. It makes me realise that my own problems which at times seem insurmountable, are really not so bad.