Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Virgin River (spoiler alert ?)

(17 Posts)
DillytheGardener Wed 28-Jul-21 09:41:34

Has anyone else watched the last episode of Virgin River season three? I know it is guff but I’ve found it a good distraction from life at the moment!

tanith Wed 28-Jul-21 09:44:58

I’ve 2 still to watch so I won’t be returning to this thread till I’ve watched them.

Kate54 Wed 28-Jul-21 09:52:06

Of course! Addictive and quite calming, I find. Now turning to another load of tosh, On Chesapeake Shores, same story moreorless but different scenery. It has a character called Trace and an actor called Treat plus Diane Ladd (aged 85) with a dreadful Irish accent.
Catch phrase ‘I love you’ answered by ‘I love you more!’
There’s plenty more of these Hallmark specials on Netflix. Enjoy!

DillytheGardener Wed 28-Jul-21 09:56:56

Kate54 thanks for the tip, I ran through the episodes too quickly. What did you think of the cliff hanger ending of season 3? And did you enjoy a Hope free season three? I find her character extremely annoying!

shysal Wed 28-Jul-21 10:26:52

I binge-watched over a couple of rainy days and enjoyed it. However, I do find the sinister background of it a little unsettling. Several cliff-hangers at the end, hope the next season will be soon.

Kate54 Wed 28-Jul-21 10:27:54

Well, as cliff hangers go, it wasn’t bad. Perhaps this is a way of abolishing Hope altogether! And there’s always Muriel or Meriel or whatever her name is in the wings.......
No idea why Hope only appeared on Skype in this series. Perhaps she was self -isolating or in the US equivalent of oango (I know, there isn‘t one) in Milwaukee. She is a bit irritating but not a bad actress, unlike some of the others.
For Chesapeake Shores fans, the actor playing Trace was the hunky gardener John in Desperate Housewives who had the affair with Eva whatshername.

DillytheGardener Wed 28-Jul-21 11:14:36

Oh I loved John from Desperate Housewives. That’s another tick for your recommendation Kate54 I think I find her meddling the most annoying trait. I agree with shysal that some of the VR episodes with the drugs camp storylines are a bit sinister. I usually fast forward through anything too grim.

Visgir1 Wed 28-Jul-21 11:56:11

I saw it and thought they made too many loose ends.
Hope (actress apparently stuck in USA due to CV19)
Jack and all his pregnant women
Preacher...
Brodie.. and Jack's sister
And the arrival of the Doctors Grandson. Too much this time exhausting!
Now we have to wait for the next series. Doh!

merrillvue Wed 18-Aug-21 08:56:41

Virgin River season 3... There is no chemistry between Jack and Mel.. Their romance is so bland, they keep saying " I love you " to each other " png to ico " thanks several times, with as much emotion as reminding the other to buy some item from the grocery store! There is more substance in the Brody-Brie romance. They need to get another romantic partner for Jack , someone with more passion, and I am sure Jack's character will blossom then..

Aveline Wed 18-Aug-21 09:41:26

Jack's not exactly gorgeous. I think Mel could do better!
However, Trace Riley in Chesapeake Shores was lovely.

merlotgran Wed 18-Aug-21 09:51:02

Jack annoys me more than Hope. I can’t stand the way his voice goes all high pitched and squeaky/husky when it’s time to show some emotion - which is nearly all the flipping time.

Too many cliff hangers at the end.

DillytheGardener Wed 18-Aug-21 09:55:33

merlotgran you made me laugh, you are so right. He also looks like he might be quite short in real life too.

I might have to try Chesapeake Shores Aveline ! What is it about? Is it ‘gentle’. I need soothing sop for my watching these days!

Aveline Wed 18-Aug-21 10:10:00

DillytheGardener Chesapeake Shores certainly is soothing. It's about a large family in a lovely location. No major dramas just the ins and out of life in this family. Not terrific but OK viewing.
'Offspring' set in Melbourne is good viewing. Another (slightly daft) family drama but much funnier. The heroine is very likeable as are her actual and potential boyfriends.

Newatthis Wed 18-Aug-21 10:24:59

Chesapeake Shore - should be called Cheesypeake Shoree as it is so cheasey!

Aveline Wed 18-Aug-21 10:42:39

Newatthis it certainly is cheesy not to say wet! The 'Irish' granny is particularly nauseating.
Try 'Offspring'. Whatever it is, it isn't wet!

Lucca Wed 18-Aug-21 11:38:00

Aveline is it just you and I who have watched Offspring?? People don’t know what they are missing ! Acting and characters are brilliant.

I also enjoyed Rake.

And Rita.

Aveline Wed 18-Aug-21 13:04:42

Lucca at least 'Offspring' is funny. The characters are all good too and, daft though they are, you do actually care about them.