Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Chris Packham: The Walk that Made Me

(93 Posts)
granfromafar Wed 28-Jul-21 20:26:34

On now, BBC2. Wonderful scenery and Brilliant commentary!

Greenfinch Wed 28-Jul-21 20:34:14

Yes indeed.A lovely programme.

Grandma70s Wed 28-Jul-21 20:35:14

Quite marvellous. So glad I decided to watch it.

Kali2 Wed 28-Jul-21 20:59:00

Wonderful and very moving.

aggie Wed 28-Jul-21 21:00:50

Very moving , another side of the Naturalist

granfromafar Wed 28-Jul-21 21:16:59

I've heard him talk about his Aperger's and mental health issues before. Think there was another programme on last year called 'Asperger' s and me' which was quite an eye-opener. I love listening to him!

Flexagon Wed 28-Jul-21 21:26:04

Thank you for flagging up Chris's latest programme. I am also a fan.

Aspergers and Me can still be seen on YouTube:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4tLlIzMGjM

shysal Wed 28-Jul-21 21:27:28

Loving it, so moving! I shed a few tears. It makes a change to hear him being humble rather than cocky. Respect to him.

shysal Thu 29-Jul-21 07:41:54

I was sorry to read in the credits that Chris's father had died earlier this year, obviously since the filming. That would have been a difficult time for him.

Jaxjacky Thu 29-Jul-21 08:41:04

I don’t normally watch him as I too find him a bit cocky, watched this as it’s five minutes away and I’ve walked some of the route. It gave a very different perspective.

Pammie1 Thu 29-Jul-21 11:19:29

I found the programme very moving but I’m generally not a fan of Chris Packham because some of the causes he’s got behind, have demonstrated he doesn’t know much about countryside management and the problems faced by the farming community.

Doreen5 Thu 29-Jul-21 11:21:16

Superbly done by Chris! Beautiful walk and narration and so honest. Well done BBC2 for a decent programme.

barbaralynne Thu 29-Jul-21 11:23:44

Yes, I agree it was a lovely programme. He was so open and honest about his problems and it brought tears to my eyes. But he showed us that, despite his Asperger's, he can do the things that are important to him. Excellent!

Patticake123 Thu 29-Jul-21 11:24:14

A really thoughtful and fascinating programme. When you consider all of the arguing and shouting and threatening behaviours you see on many programmes these days, it was a breath of fresh air. Hopefully the first of many.

Gillycats Thu 29-Jul-21 11:53:36

It was a wonderful programme. He’s an amazing man doing so much for the environment. If only there were more like him!

Gabrielle56 Thu 29-Jul-21 12:13:04

What a revelation... Recognise virtually all these idiosyncrasies in myself, do I have aslergers? Is that why my life has felt like one long struggle against everyone else's tides? Maybe. But at my age I just get told I "rattle on" and "go off at a tangent" and will do so indefinitely if not checked, stringing one subject to what I feel is the next but struggle to get others to see my point and to even recognize the connections I see as obvious! Frustrated.angry.failure.

Neilspurgeon0 Thu 29-Jul-21 12:42:13

Loved this, not for Packham but because it is one of my favourite walks, a few miles ‘up the line’ from me, but as I listened I found some of the commentary very moving especially as I have a grandchild with some emotional difficulties so could empathise better with the ‘teenage angst’ even if from a different medical cause. Moving and very sad to read the dedication to his father at the end, clearly he had died after the filming. A good use of TV post the latest lockdown.

Callistemon Thu 29-Jul-21 12:45:46

Moving and very sad to read the dedication to his father at the end, clearly he had died after the filming.

Yes, it was. I was thinking 'if only someone could carry Mr Packham Senior up that hill fort one more time, perhaps in a litter' then there was the dedication to him at the end.
Very moving.

Nanacool Thu 29-Jul-21 13:00:44

Cannot bear the man would never watch anything he is involved with. Viewing for townies! The same goes for country file.

aggie Thu 29-Jul-21 13:16:57

nanacool you should give it a look , very different to his nature talks , it was lovely

Nanna58 Thu 29-Jul-21 14:05:29

My DGS struggles at time with his Aspergers ( apparently aren’t supposed to call it that now due to Herr Aspergers Nazi connotations, just ASD ) . I pin my hopes on the fact that Chris Packham has managed to carve a good life with a career and relationship despite his problems and hope the same for my little man.

Greciangirl Thu 29-Jul-21 14:20:03

I don’t understand how anyone perceives Chris Packham as cocky.
I tend to think of him as humble, and after watching his documentary, my estimation of him has gone even further.

He is a wonderful wildlife presenter too and his wealth of knowledge about the countryside is enviable.

Well done Chris.

Camelotclub Thu 29-Jul-21 14:45:03

A lovely programme, and no horrible intrusive background 'music' !

Deedaa Thu 29-Jul-21 14:55:18

Gabrielle56 I spent most of my married life asking DH why it was that he found everyday life so difficult. It wasn't till GS1 was diagnosed with ASD that it all fell into place.

Kryptonite Thu 29-Jul-21 15:00:56

granfromafar Thank you for your recommendation. I have just watched this beautiful programme. Some places here familiar to me. Made me feel very nostalgic indeed. A river walk is just what I need too. Such honesty from Chris Packham.