Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

The Detectorists on BBCiPlayer and 'The Dig' on Netflix

(19 Posts)
Shandy57 Thu 29-Jul-21 21:34:16

I've just spent many a happy hour watching a lovely 3 season comedy drama series called 'The Detectorists' - and during the show they did refer to Sutton Hoo, the subject of 'The Dig' film. Highly recommended!

Juliet27 Thu 29-Jul-21 21:39:24

Yes!! I’ve just finished watching all the series too. Thoroughly enjoyed them.

Deedaa Thu 29-Jul-21 21:42:01

The Detectorists is an absolute classic. Great scripts and a stellar cast.

seacliff Thu 29-Jul-21 21:50:03

I love The Detectorists. Someone told us about it, and it sounded at first an unlikely programme for us to enjoy. It is an absolute delight, very British, beautiful Suffolk scenery. A feel good programme.

Gwyneth Thu 29-Jul-21 22:05:38

Brilliant series I loved it. Just wish they would do another series.

muse Thu 29-Jul-21 22:18:52

They are both excellent and I could easily watch them again.

Alishka Fri 30-Jul-21 11:02:57

Loved that series and the song that accompanied it.
Oh! and the magpie grin

MayBee70 Fri 30-Jul-21 11:05:52

Shandy. If you love Detectorists I assume you’ve watched Ghosts, the new series of which is just starting. Ok I know it’s more of a comedy but it has the same gentle feel to it.

Shandy57 Fri 30-Jul-21 15:33:38

Thank you MayBee70, I'll give that a go!

I'm feeling quite annoyed with my 84 year old aunt, she spent £400 on her smart tv and yet again she has refused to allow me to help her get the internet on it. I've offered to pay and now she said there isn't anyone 'on the island that does it'. I'm just going to leave her to it, I'm sure she will continue to enjoy rewatching her DVDs.

Mattsmum2 Fri 30-Jul-21 15:36:21

Loved Detectorists , wish they could make more, but it was left at a lovely moment.

Namsnanny Fri 30-Jul-21 15:44:21

One of my all time favourites.
Understated, intelligent, gentle.

Jaxjacky Fri 30-Jul-21 16:05:21

We watched the Detectorists when it was first screened, loved it, more would be wonderful.
Ghosts is brilliant too Maybee70, new series Monday 9th August BBC1.

chocolatepudding Fri 30-Jul-21 16:20:36

I attended a talk given by Charlie Haylock who is an expert on the Suffolk dialect and language. Charlie explained how he taught Raif Fiennes and the cast of "The Dig" to speak with a Suffolk accent. Very interesting and entertaining/

Sara1954 Fri 30-Jul-21 16:53:29

Detectorists is my favourite program over the last few years, it was recommended to us by our daughter, and I recommend it to anyone who will listen.
I’ve yet to find anyone who hasn’t liked it.

merrillvue Wed 18-Aug-21 08:51:43

Yes! I'm exactly the same. I have watched series 1 over and over and it is exactly like a lovely warm hug. I've only just come to it recently from Netflix and am soo glad I did. smile

Silverbridge Wed 18-Aug-21 09:46:56

I'm late to Detectorists but have thoroughly enjoyed watching all three series. Superb character acting from all involved. A lovely story about enduring friendship and love interspersed with surreal moments concerning the odd things Andy and Lance found ... or saw rolling towards them in one laugh-out-loud scene with the mad landowner. Without giving too much away, was anyone else shouting: Climb a bit higher, climb a bit higher! when Andy was installing the bat box? The suspense!

DillytheGardener Wed 18-Aug-21 09:57:40

My dh requested we watch this, he’s normal a FOOTBALL and ACTION and BEER kind of a guy so I was surprised he was interested. Based on all of your glowing reviews I’ll have to give it a go. It’s been an age since we watched something together.

Witzend Wed 18-Aug-21 10:13:17

We loved The Detectorists when it was first screened.
Best series for ages.

Jane43 Wed 18-Aug-21 10:51:24

I never looked at The Detectorists because I assumed it was yet another detective series so I will take a look. Thanks for posting, I enjoyed The Dig very much.