Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Professor T

(15 Posts)
grannyrebel7 Sun 01-Aug-21 22:08:10

I've been trying to think what this programme reminds me of and it's Doc Martin meets The Singing Detective! Anyone agree or is it just me being weird? Love it though, great programme. It's nice to have something a little bit different.

MrsAllboys Sun 01-Aug-21 22:13:08

Also there are touches of AliMcBeal, with the eccentric and surreal bits! (In his mind).

Flexagon Sun 01-Aug-21 22:18:53

I tuned in as I like Ben Miller but only watched a couple of episodes before becoming bored.

It reminded me a little of Jason Watkins in McDonald and Dodds crossed with Poirot. So I undertand you likening it to Doc Martin. The obsessively fussy police officer, the detective, the doctor and now the psychologist. I also felt the crimes were solved rather too quickly. Too much about Prof T's obsessive behaviour and not enough mystery really. That said, good to see some new drama on Britbox.

Chestnut Sun 01-Aug-21 23:15:18

You have just written my comment Flexagon !!
I was also going to liken it to McDonald & Dodds, so there is nothing original about it. I find the quirky 'visions' a bit off putting, the dancing girls in the corridor especially. The Professor's OCD is slowing the whole thing down too much in my opinion. I like Ben Miller but two episodes was enough for me, I won't be watching any more. I agree that any new drama should be applauded in the current climate, but something original would be nice.

Deedaa Sun 01-Aug-21 23:28:30

I quite like the fact that Ben Miller is cast alongside Juliet Aubrey who played the villainous Helen when they were both in Primeval. Perhaps we may get an occasional dinosaur appearing!

Kim19 Sun 01-Aug-21 23:30:30

Yes, after tonight, I've decided o give up. Find him totally irritating and somewhat boring even though his assessments of a crime are accurate. Not for me.

Ailidh Mon 02-Aug-21 06:34:56

I liked the first episode well enough but he's just Doc Martin but without the charm.....

I'll keep watching because I like both Ben Miller and Frances de la Tour but I have the episodes recorded and keep finding I'm half way through and have switched off mentally and have to rewind.

Calendargirl Mon 02-Aug-21 06:41:58

I have watched them, well, started to, but have fallen asleep half way through.

Not really engaged with it, and not keen enough to re-watch.

tanith Mon 02-Aug-21 07:28:48

I’m giving up too Im finding it very slow and clunky I shan’t bother anymore.

joannapiano Mon 02-Aug-21 08:16:14

Ben Miller is playing the same character he played in Death in Paradise (the first series.)

Chardy Mon 02-Aug-21 08:20:21

joannapiano I think that every week.

Eloethan Mon 02-Aug-21 08:24:37

I watched the first episode and thought it was dire. I like Ben Miller but his portrayal of this character just doesn't ring true for me. I am aware that he is meant to be very eccentric and absolutely "buttoned up" but it is just too much like a caricature in my opinion. I also thought the plot was feeble. I couldn't work up any enthusiasm to watch any more episodes.

Lincslass Mon 02-Aug-21 10:54:42

It’s odd and very unwatchable, shame I like Ben Miller.

Kate1949 Mon 02-Aug-21 10:59:42

We thought he was just a revamped Doc Martin too.

Deedaa Mon 02-Aug-21 23:18:16

Professor T was originally a Flemish TV series and this seems to be a fairly straight translation into English, the OCD, the germ phobia, the suicidal father, the overbearing mother and the surreal imaginings.