Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Neil Oliver on GB News

(73 Posts)
Blossoming Tue 03-Aug-21 09:50:17

I have a been a Neil Oliver fan for some time, but no longer. I’m disgusted by his comments comparing the pandemic to WW2 and the Battle of Britain. Anti maskers/anti vaxxers are not heroic freedom fighters. What an insult to those who fought, suffered and died.

Billy Bragg puts it so well in this article.

tinyurl.com/2wb8bf4p

Whitewavemark2 Tue 03-Aug-21 09:54:57

I’m beginning to think that he has lost his marbles.

Lincslass Tue 03-Aug-21 09:57:38

Ha, on another thread, maybe Helen Gray would agree with him. Cannot stop free speech, but disagree very much with him on his stance too.

Chestnut Tue 03-Aug-21 09:59:10

I can't stand him anyway as his voice drives me nuts. I've caught him a couple of times on GB News and he seemed to be talking nonsense very forcefully. I find him a very annoying man and he does BG News no favours by being on so often with his views.

MawBe Tue 03-Aug-21 10:00:25

Or like many presenters, begun to believe in his own infallibility. He is a historian albeit in what seems like a narrow field (Scottish history) and should stick to that.
Just as actors should stick to acting and pop singers to singing.
The only exceptions I would make are Lenny Henry and Bob Geldof for bringing Third World poverty- especially among children - into sharp focus.

Galaxy Tue 03-Aug-21 10:04:46

I think there are many people who have skills in a particular arena though who can use those skills for good in other areas, Marcus Rashford for example, I would say David Baddiel has made interesting contributions to the discussion of anti semitism, there are many more.

Blossoming Tue 03-Aug-21 10:07:31

Lincslass I disagree with his stance but free speech is fine. However I think his comparisons are odious.

Alegrias1 Tue 03-Aug-21 10:14:57

He is a historian albeit in what seems like a narrow field (Scottish history) and should stick to that.

He's an archaeologist. Guess his move into other areas is more successful than you thought.

Parsley3 Tue 03-Aug-21 10:18:23

The Oliver ego seems to be running riot. Archaeologist turned historian turned TV personality turned freedom fighter turned .........insert your own opinion, mine is delusional.
I used to like him but in the last programme I watched there were lots of shots of him staring straight at the camera. It was creepy and I haven’t watched him since.

MawBe Tue 03-Aug-21 10:18:54

Apologies- I have enjoyed his history input even if he does bang on a bit and had forgotten about Archaeology.
However I’m not sure about his move into other areas being “successful.

Alegrias1 Tue 03-Aug-21 10:21:36

Oh, I think he's an absolute idiot, don't get me wrong!

He wrote a really good history of Scotland and we went to see him talk at a book festival once. Its been all downhill since then. Likes the sound of his own voice I think.

MawBe Tue 03-Aug-21 10:31:32

From the Border Telegraph
Neil Oliver is not a historian. On that point he is very clear. The presenter of Coast, A History of Scotland and Vikings studied archaeology at the University of Glasgow “a thousand years ago” but is adamant that this qualification does not make him an expert in history or an academic
Quoted at the Borders Book Festival -
I’m a generalist,” he tells the Border Telegraph. “I’ve got the attention span of a gnat

To study, to pursue something to PhD level, it involves studying a very, very narrow area for a long time and I’m not interested in doing that

He has been various things, apparently including a journalist on local papers in Dumfriesshire and East Lothian - so what he might call “ a man o’ pairts ” others, a “dilettante”.

GillT57 Tue 03-Aug-21 11:30:02

I used to enjoy him on Coast, but the more I hear him, the less I like him. As for WW2 comparisons, how deeply offensive.

Lincslass Tue 03-Aug-21 12:36:56

Blossoming

Lincslass I disagree with his stance but free speech is fine. However I think his comparisons are odious.

Didn’t put that very well, obviously. Yes agree with you.

Galaxy Tue 03-Aug-21 12:39:28

To be fair hes not the only one who compares the pandemic to World War 2, its constant and pointless in all its guises.

25Avalon Tue 03-Aug-21 13:51:09

What a load of rubbish he spouted. He’ll cheerfully catch Covid for the sake of freedom. Silly man.

Kate1949 Tue 03-Aug-21 14:24:31

Oh dear.

annodomini Tue 03-Aug-21 14:46:14

I'm disappointed in him. His programmes on archaeology have been fascinating, but his self aggrandisement is utterly off-putting. His recent pronouncements about the pandemic make me think of David Eyke who once was a respectable TV sports anchor. Is Neil Oliver joining him on the lunatic fringe?

Petera Tue 03-Aug-21 15:00:19

GillT57

I used to enjoy him on Coast, but the more I hear him, the less I like him. As for WW2 comparisons, how deeply offensive.

It's a bellwether isn't it? Any one who compares anything with WW2 - except to say that WW2 was much, much worse - is clearly no historian.

Grandmabatty Tue 03-Aug-21 15:10:55

He lives near to my son and is not well liked

Blossoming Tue 03-Aug-21 16:11:16

He isn’t an historian petera. He’s an archaeologist.

Fennel Tue 03-Aug-21 16:34:29

I enjoyed his series on the vikings as I think my paternal family could be descended from Danish Vikings.
But I've always found him very eccentric so not surprised he's put his foot in it.

Petera Tue 03-Aug-21 16:37:54

Blossoming

He isn’t an historian petera. He’s an archaeologist.

No of course, I could have expressed myself better:

It's a bellwether isn't it? Any one who compares anything with WW2 - except to say that WW2 was much, much worse - clearly has no grasp of history.

Lincslass Tue 03-Aug-21 17:13:31

25Avalon

What a load of rubbish he spouted. He’ll cheerfully catch Covid for the sake of freedom. Silly man.

That is awful, wouldn’t wish Covid on anyone.

BBbevan Tue 03-Aug-21 17:28:23

What does he keep in his bag? My DH says a comb.
Gone off him lately.