Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Manhunt

(60 Posts)
Hellogirl1 Thu 23-Sep-21 17:16:59

Is anyone else enjoying this? I`ve never really been a Martin Clunes fan, but after watching the first Manhunt series I changed my mind, he`s a fine actor. I`m now watching, and loving, the present series, which ends tonight.

Curlywhirly Thu 23-Sep-21 17:19:42

Yes, I'm enjoying it - Martin Clunes is very good in it. Didn't realise it is based on a true story. Looking forward to tonight's episode.

JaneJudge Thu 23-Sep-21 17:20:46

I have enjoyed it but I feel really sad it is real iykwim sad

Doesn't the one detective look like Micky Flannagan too? (the comedian)

tanith Thu 23-Sep-21 17:21:31

I’ve not watched but intend to, can I watch the first series anywhere?

DiscoDancer1975 Thu 23-Sep-21 17:22:30

Yes, we watched the first one last night. It’s hard to enjoy in the true sense of the word, as it’s real, but yes, Martin Clunes is a good actor.

We’ve seen him in a few things. One, ( the title escapes me), was also based on real events, and was about him being the murderer this time. He disintegrated his victims in acid.

Looking forward to the rest. We taped them, so will probably watch the rest tonight.

62Granny Thu 23-Sep-21 17:22:44

Yes really enjoyed this one, I am sure there was another one on a year or two back that was good too, another true story.

MerylStreep Thu 23-Sep-21 17:30:27

Tanith
It should be on ITV plus.

tanith Thu 23-Sep-21 17:32:23

MerylStreep thankyou I’ll take a look.

Aldom Thu 23-Sep-21 17:40:21

Yes, I have watched from the start as I knew it was a true story. I actually have a clear memory of those terrible crimes. Well acted, feels authentic.

eazybee Thu 23-Sep-21 18:10:46

It is an excellent production, very gripping; I have no remembrance of the real events so no idea what the outcome will be. Last night's episode with the old lady in her bedroom was terrifying.
It gives a much more realistic presentation of real policing, all that sitting watching through the night whilst fending off sleep, so much better than the increasingly silly Line of Duty.

Galaxy Thu 23-Sep-21 18:22:55

Yes its excellent and I dont usually like real life crime stuff on tv, the utter hatred of women by Levi bellfield in the first one was so disturbing.

Chestnut Thu 23-Sep-21 18:43:05

We’ve seen him in a few things. One, ( the title escapes me), was also based on real events, and was about him being the murderer this time. He disintegrated his victims in acid.

A is for Acid was on ITV3 last Saturday and is still on the IVT3 Hub catchup. Really creepy true story from the 1940s of the Acid Bath Murderer John George Haigh, a really strange creepy psycho serial killer (played by MC). Very good.

So unlike his role in Manhunt where he's playing the Detective. The first and second series are both currently on the ITV Hub catchup. All really good real life dramas.

sodapop Thu 23-Sep-21 18:57:11

I've enjoyed most things Martin Clunes has been in. He is an excellent actor..
I remember him being in something about a funeral director some years ago, that was good too.
Looking forward to the final episode tonight.

Beechnut Thu 23-Sep-21 19:01:41

Was it called William and Mary * sodapop*. His girlfriend was a midwife.

Beechnut Thu 23-Sep-21 19:02:29

sodapop

DiscoDancer1975 Thu 23-Sep-21 19:45:18

Chestnut

^We’ve seen him in a few things. One, ( the title escapes me), was also based on real events, and was about him being the murderer this time. He disintegrated his victims in acid.^

A is for Acid was on ITV3 last Saturday and is still on the IVT3 Hub catchup. Really creepy true story from the 1940s of the Acid Bath Murderer John George Haigh, a really strange creepy psycho serial killer (played by MC). Very good.

So unlike his role in Manhunt where he's playing the Detective. The first and second series are both currently on the ITV Hub catchup. All really good real life dramas.

Aaah yes, that’s what it was. Now that was really gripping and quite terrifying. Thank you Chestnut.

NanKate Thu 23-Sep-21 20:41:39

I’ve never been MC fan, but this series is top notch and I shall certainly look out for him again. He has nailed the part. ?

Chardy Thu 23-Sep-21 21:00:18

I really enjoyed William & Mary. Thank you for reminding me.

Cabbie21 Thu 23-Sep-21 22:32:07

Just watched the last episode. Really good, and very well acted.

mokryna Thu 23-Sep-21 22:38:48

I really enjoyed it but I am sad that it was based on a true story.

Witzend Thu 23-Sep-21 22:48:08

Still watching the first series on catchup. Dh says we’ve seen it before but I don’t remember it at all. I’ll watch just about anything with Martin Clunes - IMO he’s a fantastic actor.
Looking forward to the second series after this.

Chestnut Thu 23-Sep-21 22:54:24

I really enjoy these true life investigations because catching the killer gives such a sense of satisfaction. They are not sensationalised like the fictional dramas, they just follow the steady path of the Police investigation, the ups and downs of their failures and eventual success. And they don't get lost in wild imaginings because they are factual.

Sweetpeasue Thu 23-Sep-21 23:34:56

WitzendI agree. Martin Clunes is such a good actor. I believe he's proved himself in more starring lead roles in serious drama. His understated acting is somehow more realistic.

Rosie51 Thu 23-Sep-21 23:50:38

I loved Martin Clunes as Mr Chipping in the 2002 film remake of Goodbye Mr Chips.
I think he's a very underrated, very talented actor. Have enjoyed (totally the wrong word) his portrayal of DCI Sutton in Manhunt. What a sad, sad case.

sodapop I loved him in William and Mary. I know it was a fictional character, but wouldn't you want a funeral director with that degree of respect and kindness?

BigBertha1 Fri 24-Sep-21 07:12:46

Well I thought Manhunt was excellent but I'm glad it's over I was very edgy and upset over it and didn't sleep well.