Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Bake Off Boredom

(53 Posts)
BigBertha1 Thu 07-Oct-21 10:56:53

I usually enjoy Bake Off but this week I was bored- is it just me. A review at the weekend said it needed a revamp. I cant think what it needs but it is getting 'stale' in my view. I think I will record it and whizz through. Mary Berry used to give lots of tips which I enjoyed but not so from Prue but I suppose she is more of a gourmet Chef than a cook ?????

Early Thu 07-Oct-21 11:07:25

I don't watch the early rounds - too many contestants. However, I do enjoy Extra Slice for the round up and chat about what's been happening.

Lincslass Thu 07-Oct-21 11:09:45

Can’t stand Matt Lucas , so never watch it.

Aveline Thu 07-Oct-21 11:10:59

I really enjoy it. It's not always easy for me to see what's going on though!

Jane43 Thu 07-Oct-21 11:45:49

I never enjoy bread week, probably because I have never baked bread.

LadyGracie Thu 07-Oct-21 12:42:43

I stopped watching when Matt Lucas appeared.

Alegrias1 Thu 07-Oct-21 12:44:06

Aveline

I really enjoy it. It's not always easy for me to see what's going on though!

Mum, mum, look at me mum!!

Great picture Aveline!

Aveline Thu 07-Oct-21 14:57:47

I could hardly breathe. He stood on my collar bones at one point. He's a lovely cuddly teddy of a cat but sometimes...

Lovetopaint037 Sun 24-Oct-21 10:40:48

We used to love this programme but agree it has become stale.
There are no real tips you could use when attempting baking and the silly attempts at comedy appear just stupid. Mel and Sue were lovely and naturally funny. Mary Berry is a down to earth cook although I quite like Pru Leith. The format is becoming boring and I never thought that before as well as the difficulty of the demands often bordering on the ridiculous. We wonder how many of these the judges ever attempt to produce and how interesting it would be to see them in action along side the contestants. Even more fun if the contestants were able to do some judging of their own.

henetha Sun 24-Oct-21 11:19:14

I'm deeply envious of your lovely cat, Aveline. smile

DanniRae Sun 24-Oct-21 11:52:05

I still watch it - habit maybe - but I too fast forward lots of it. I really can't stand Paul Hollywood - he has such a high opinion of himself!!

MerylStreep Sun 24-Oct-21 11:59:23

I get bored with any program that keeps going for tooooooo long. This is one of them.
I have to admit that I’m getting a bit bored with strictly.

Maya1 Sun 24-Oct-21 12:03:42

Your cat is a beautiful boy, Aveline.. I would prefer to watch him..My husband enjoys bake off, it puts me to ? Paul Hollywood is so full of himself.

Daisymae Sun 24-Oct-21 12:24:43

Totally agree that some of the tasks are ridiculously complicated, especially bearing in mind that they are looking for a home cook. I think that they should allow more freedom for bakers to make their own favourite bakes, rather than something that you could expect to see in a French patteserie.

Sarnia Sun 24-Oct-21 14:19:16

Me and my family have all said this series is lacking something. It may have run its course. It must have been going for many years now.

Charleygirl5 Sun 24-Oct-21 14:30:34

Aveline there is little space on your lap for the cat snoozing on the rug. Neither is too bothered about baking- not really what they would like.

The fellow on your lap is gorgeous- very photogenic.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 24-Oct-21 15:32:14

henetha

I'm deeply envious of your lovely cat, Aveline. smile

I’m deeply envious of your collar bones

Ladyleftfieldlover Sun 24-Oct-21 15:38:21

I’m still sticking with Bake Off, although I sometimes wonder how some of the contestants got through the early non-televised rounds!

Chewbacca Sun 24-Oct-21 16:06:08

The biggest turn off for me is Matt Lucas and Noel Fielding. Their attempts at humour are cringe worthy.

SpringyChicken Sun 24-Oct-21 18:44:17

I agree, Chewbacca. The programme is not about Matt and Noel but you wouldn't know it.

Millie22 Sun 24-Oct-21 20:33:06

It's not as good as it was imo. Noel and the other man are really not funny. The bakers are referring to Paul as the person they are baking for and Prue is just sort of there at the side with some strange jewellery on. I like the Italian man though so I hope he wins.

BigBertha1 Mon 25-Oct-21 06:46:11

I like the Italian gent too. His father was a baker apparently. He is definitely patisserie standard. I will just record it though and whizz through.

toscalily Mon 25-Oct-21 11:59:31

Nowhere near as enjoyable as it once was and I think Matt Lucas who I really don't like & Noel Fielding who is only marginally better add nothing whatsoever to the programme. The silly jokes, interruptions and attention seeking detract & annoy me. I agree that the tasks & level of baking are over complicated, especially so early on in the series.

Kerenhappuch Mon 25-Oct-21 12:33:53

I used to enjoy the baking tips from the bakers, as well as from Mary and Paul. Now they seem to pick people who haven't been baking very long, there are fewer backing tips as people are baking. I also used to enjoy the 'history bits', which have been eradicated.

And yet, they've stretched the length of the programme. I can't work out what takes up all the time!

Franbern Mon 25-Oct-21 13:07:50

I used so enjoy this programme. Now record it, and whizz through.
Do think it would have much more interest if the judges had to also do the challenges. Be interesting to see what they could produce??