Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

The Life Scientific - R4 the other day, absolutely fascinating

(20 Posts)
Witzend Fri 22-Oct-21 10:39:26

Dh and a dd heard it first, I just listened on the iPlayer. All about your gut microbes and how they can and do affect
general health, obesity (or not), susceptibility to disease. And what you can fairly easily do to improve the range in your gut.
Well worth a listen - so interesting.

MerylStreep Fri 22-Oct-21 10:48:04

I became aware of this subject many years ago. They don’t call the gut the second brain for nothing.
It is so important yet many people just don’t realise.

Susie42 Tue 26-Oct-21 13:41:40

This is one programme I never miss as it doesn’t treat the listeners as idiots, and Jim Al Khalili is a good interviewer.

Namsnanny Wed 27-Oct-21 14:00:36

My bete noire for a few years now.
There is/was a hospital in the uk that transplanted gut bacteria from an overweight daughter to her mother. The mothers weight immediately started to rise.
In another case the reverse was true.

Will this be one of the ways to 'cure' obesity.
For like it or lump it new research is proving more and more that relying on 'will power's and dieting is a flawed
approach.

MayBee70 Wed 27-Oct-21 15:52:02

Thanks. I’ll check that out. I’m always looking out for new things to listen to.

MandL Wed 27-Oct-21 18:39:20

We also listened to this, Tim Spector (of the Covid Zoe app) was being interviewed.
It was really fascinating.
One thing he said was we should be eating 30 different plant based foods a week.
I’ve been counting for the last week and only managed 22...

Luckygirl Wed 27-Oct-21 19:05:52

The Life Scientific is a fascinating programme - I always listen to it on the car on the way back from choir.

MerylStreep Wed 27-Oct-21 19:13:40

We should all be mixing our food up as much as we can.
The gut gets lazy with the same old, same old. You have to keep giving it something different to make it think

Kim19 Wed 27-Oct-21 19:13:55

Will someone tell me how to tune into this p!ease? Sounds very interesting indeed.

Shrub Wed 27-Oct-21 19:25:34

Kim19 it’s on BBC radio 4 on Monday mornings at 9 o’clock and on BBC Sounds.

MayBee70 Wed 27-Oct-21 19:30:10

I think my gut thinks too much. I had ibs for years. Visits to the theatre etc were a nightmare. I’d be going ‘I’m fine’. But my gut would go ‘no you’re not’. We seem to have learned to co exist now, though. But it took a long time and really affected my younger years. I wish I’d understood more about diet rather than dieting back then.

Namsnanny Thu 28-Oct-21 15:11:57

MandL I think you'll find d that herbs and spices count as one of the plant based foods. So for example a home made curry might have at least 5 spices which should be included.

MayBee70 Thu 28-Oct-21 19:59:39

That was really interesting. I’ve never really understood what the Zoe app actually was/did. Downside is that he is very sceptical about Dr Johns insistence that VitD protects against covid but I guess his research shows it’s far more complex than that, not that VitD isn’t important in our diet. Also interesting that our 5 a day isn’t just about fruit and vegetables. As an aside I only realised recently that it’s important to only use Ceylon cinnamon: I use a lot in smoothies etc but now know that it can damage the liver if it isn’t Ceylon if you over use it.

Lizzie72 Thu 28-Oct-21 20:06:18

Are you not supposed to only supplement with Vit D if it is also accompanied by Vit K, which helps with absorption? I read this a while ago, but still have quite a few Vitabiotics Vit Ds to get through ( try to eat greens etc, to have Vit K naturally / vegetarian).

MayBee70 Thu 28-Oct-21 20:34:53

I’ve never worked out the VitK bit and it worried me at the start of the pandemic when it said VitK thickened the blood in some way, so I only took it for a short time. We’re still all taking our VitD though! It seems it protects against other things as well.

ElderlyPerson Thu 28-Oct-21 20:51:03

Witzend

Dh and a dd heard it first, I just listened on the iPlayer. All about your gut microbes and how they can and do affect
general health, obesity (or not), susceptibility to disease. And what you can fairly easily do to improve the range in your gut.
Well worth a listen - so interesting.

www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m0010pv0

Kim19 Thu 28-Oct-21 21:37:19

Thank.you, Shrub. Appreciated.

Susie42 Tue 02-Nov-21 10:01:59

A really interesting programme this morning with an interview with Professor Sharon Peacock discussing mainly her work on Covid. Her path to her present position from working in a corner shop is inspirational.

fiorentina51 Tue 02-Nov-21 12:29:40

I listened to today's broadcast with Professor Sharon Peacock too. What an amazing woman.
An 11 plus failure, left school at 16 and worked in the local corner shop, then by hard work and dedication followed a circuitous route to the top of her chosen profession.
Brilliant.

FarNorth Tue 02-Nov-21 12:37:23

Thank you for the link ElderlyPerson.