Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Neighbours

(43 Posts)
Franbern Mon 25-Oct-21 17:36:23

Anyone else watch this Soap?
I used to watch it back in the 80;s when it fist began. Then had a few years when I was just too busy to see it.
In retirement, I have found it easy to watch. Perhaps, because I really do not really care about any of the characters.
Do love the fact that they have decided it is enough of a total fantasy not to even take it into a world with a Pandemic. Corona Virus has never affected the Neighbours world - and I think that is great.

I do feel rather concerned about baby Isla - poor little thing is NEVER actually put down anywhere at any time. Just carried around by one person or the other the whole time.

The so-called 'smile' they filmed last week could not have been a better example of a windgrin. Just wondering how long they will be carrying her everywhere.

Anniebach Mon 25-Oct-21 18:00:48

Isla does have three parents, threesomes seem popular in Neighbours !

tanith Mon 25-Oct-21 18:26:50

I always watch yesterday’s episode on my iPad while I eat my breakfast. Like you *Franburn I didn’t watch for many years but came back to it a while ago the story lines ridiculous but I enjoy it.

Hellogirl1 Mon 25-Oct-21 22:11:51

I love both Neighbours and Home and Away, they`re the only soaps I watch apart from Eastenders. Haven`t seen today`s yet though, as I had visitors.

nadateturbe Mon 25-Oct-21 22:44:43

I must catchup. Was out shopping today.
I can't stand the mother Nicolette. I wish they would write her out! Ditto Amy. The polyamorous relationship storyline is so silly. I'd never heard of this until Neighbours.
But I still love watching.

dragonfly46 Tue 26-Oct-21 07:16:41

I watch it because unlike other soaps it is generally light-hearted. It was only recently that I realised Harlow is Jason Donovan’s daughter.

Atqui Wed 27-Oct-21 22:35:24

It’s absolute rubbish but I always watch it. Nicolette is so inconsistent- carts the baby around constantly then puts her in the crib and leaves her to scream. Poor Isla. I know- it’s only a story!

lemsip Wed 27-Oct-21 23:22:41

I like watching Neighbours. at least there are no disasters and deaths every few months as in corrie and emmerdale which I no longer watch.
Can't stand 'amy' her teeth dazzle me.. the storyline of two boyfriends is daft isn't it.

Chestnut Wed 27-Oct-21 23:31:48

I watch Neighbours and Home and Away because they are such an easy watch when you want something light. British soaps are far too grim. I thought Nicolette swapping the two babies was a great storyline because you knew the real baby would turn up one day. I guess they couldn't wait to do this, it was only a couple of weeks. They certainly have 'modern' storylines. A gay couple, a lesbian couple, two of them brother and sister, and then Nicolette offering to surrogate a baby for the boys. Now the appearance of a second baby who belongs to one of the gay brothers. You couldn't make it up. Oh, they just did ??

Atqui Thu 28-Oct-21 14:09:24

My mother used to watch it in the 80s . Whatever would she think of it now? I don’t think they even drank alcohol back them , let alone have LGBTQ characters.

nadateturbe Fri 29-Oct-21 18:16:48

Amy's daft storyline anmoys me. Do people really behave like this??

dragonfly46 Fri 29-Oct-21 18:20:31

Not in my world nadateturbe

LadyGracie Fri 29-Oct-21 20:12:05

I’ve watched Neighbours since it began, I still enjoy it, although it was better in the past, these days it’s enjoyable rubbish. Passes the time.

Chestnut Fri 29-Oct-21 23:32:00

Agreed, it is rubbish with some ridiculous storylines but I always love Paul. He behaves dreadfully but always with good intentions, it always ends badly for him, but somehow he rises up again like a phoenix from the ashes.

Franbern Sat 30-Oct-21 14:13:39

Yes, I will probably continue watching it whilst they keep Paul in it. Such a very loveable rogue.

Not sure about story lines being worse now than the past. One I remember from very early days was the diver who had such aserious accident, that the hospital said that if they managed to save his life he would probably never walk again. Within less than a month he was walking, running and going on a camping holiday with his family.

Chestnut Sun 31-Oct-21 09:00:54

Franbern the Aussie soaps are renowned for that! Every week someone ends up in hospital, often with life changing injuries or illnesses. They lose limbs and organs, they have brain or spinal surgery, they cannot walk. But very soon are back to normal and it's pretty much forgotten. I also love the way they get a hospital appointment the same day, they never have to wait. Doctor Karl seems to deal with everything from pre-natal, through cancer to brain injury. It's a magical world where real life doesn't intrude! ?

Juliet27 Sun 31-Oct-21 11:06:26

I blame my DS watching so much Neighbours in the 80s and 90s for his emigration to Australia!!

Atqui Sun 31-Oct-21 12:56:13

Just so he can keep you updated Julie ?!

Atqui Sun 31-Oct-21 17:26:05

Did I miss the follow up to Hendrix’ cancer scare? He seems to have reverted to normal behaviour .

Anniebach Sun 31-Oct-21 18:02:32

All clear Atqui

Jane always looks so fearful, she is need of medication , suppose with Nicolette for a daughter she has good reason to be fearful.

Atqui Sun 31-Oct-21 19:47:07

Thanks Annie. I’ve been away and I must have missed an episode on catchup. ?. I find so many of the characters infuriating but still watch it avidly! Yes Nicolette is a nasty piece of work - poor Jane. - unconditional love.

nadateturbe Sun 31-Oct-21 22:16:23

Doctor Karl seems to deal with everything from pre-natal, through cancer to brain injury. It's a magical world where real life doesn't intrude!

I so agree. grin But I love it.

Chestnut Sun 31-Oct-21 23:52:29

Now Amy is getting seriously high maintenance. Me me me and nothing but me. Everything and everyone has to revolve around her and her feelings. She never seems to be at work, just spends her life dressing up and fretting about her flippin' love life. Finding her really annoying.

Atqui Mon 01-Nov-21 07:49:48

Wonder what would happen if she got pregnant??

Franbern Mon 01-Nov-21 09:41:16

One of the things that is notable with the character of Paul is that the actor who plays him always has that slight limp where the character is supposed to have a prosthetic leg.

So often, in soaps, this sort of thing slowly disappears - but Paul has always kept it going. Probably he knows more about the history of the character than many of the SW's.