Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Why are we subjected to such rubbish

(113 Posts)
Sashabel Thu 02-Dec-21 14:16:33

Why would you allow the cameras into your disorganised, junk filled house and then let the likes of Stacey Solomon in to re-organise it?
Why would you let a team of cleaners in to transform your filthy living conditions into something more bearable and feel it is OK to share the experience on national television?
What goes through the minds of people who want to share the fact that they are in debt because they only buy designer stuff and eat take-aways 5 nights a week so are happy let two minor celebrities into their home to explain how to save money by doing more home cooking and shopping for cheaper alternatives?
Add all the above to the ridiculous number of cookery programmes we have to endure and I am increasingly turning to the "off" button on my remote.
This is just TV producers being lazy and unimaginative

Germanshepherdsmum Thu 02-Dec-21 14:38:28

I expect they’re paid to do it.

Peasblossom Thu 02-Dec-21 14:41:32

Well, you’re not subjected to it. You can choose ?

Josianne Thu 02-Dec-21 14:41:52

Also, why would you be filmed in the gp's consulting room?

Grandma70s Thu 02-Dec-21 14:47:32

Josianne

Also, why would you be filmed in the gp's consulting room?

That one really is baffling. People describing their dodgy bowel movements on national television,

I presume you are referring to GPs Behind Closed Doirs.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Thu 02-Dec-21 14:56:27

I wonder if some people want to be famous for 15 minutes and they don't care how, but yes it is baffling. If I lived in a dirty, cluttered house I wouldn't want it to be shown to millions of viewers as I'd be embarrassed.

OTOH, if someone suffers from some rare, dread disease or condition perhaps it can be helpful or informative to see that they can be helped with medical intervention in such programmes as Your Life in Their Hands, etc. Also, perhaps it can be demonstrated that the person with the condition may get some understanding from those of us who are lucky enough to enjoy good health.

Sashabel Thu 02-Dec-21 14:57:59

If you read my post properly, Peasblossom, you will see that I don't subject myself to this tacky TV. What I am getting at is the amount of prime time TV scheduling is given over to it.

Peasblossom Thu 02-Dec-21 15:06:49

It’s cheap to make.

Inevitable if people want non-stop tv, I’m afraid.
Lots of air time at minimum cost.

That’s it really. ?

Peasblossom Thu 02-Dec-21 15:08:41

H an, of course, everybody’s 15 minutes of fame.

Actually it’s quite fascinating to see yourself on tv.
(Says the woman seen laughing in the background of Antiques Riadshow??)

lemsip Thu 02-Dec-21 17:23:44

money! they are paid a fees, hotels and other expenses for all tv appearance because they are 'shows' for entertainment....that is the bottom line. there are ads to appear on various shows and not easy to get on them, there is a selection process whatever the 'show'!

Sashabel Thu 02-Dec-21 17:28:25

I know it's cheap to make as I used to work for a TV station. It's just such a lazy way to fill air time. I imagine the production departments sitting around a table trying to think of new programming ideas and one smart 20 year old with a media studies degree coming up with these scenarios. Just because we have many stations to choose from doesn't necessarily mean the quality of programming has to go completely down the drain.

mrswoo Thu 02-Dec-21 17:52:16

It's as if programme makers have totally run out of original or creative ideas. As DH says when confronted with yet another "reality" programme "you can almost hear that barrel being scraped" Although, reading the heading of your post sashabel, I thought you were referring to Mrs Brown's Boys - possibly the worst programme ever. IMOgrin

Germanshepherdsmum Thu 02-Dec-21 17:52:37

Maybe the viewing figures are good? Nowt so queer as folk.

GreyKnitter Thu 02-Dec-21 17:54:58

I have to confess that I joy watching all of these programmes! If they’re not for you then don’t watch!

midgey Thu 02-Dec-21 17:59:10

One person has a good idea, a series is made and is really good…….then every single company making tv thinks oh whoopi do and the subject is done to death! Try the radio ….the pictures are very much better!

Hetty58 Thu 02-Dec-21 19:04:43

Sashabel, I'm thoroughly sick of it all too - along with the daft (so-called) reality shows and the never-ending knock out competitions. I don't care who has the best B&B, who can cook, sing, dance, survive the jungle - or do woodwork the best - really I don't. I want more films and documentaries please!

Blossoming Thu 02-Dec-21 19:08:05

I’d be very happy for someone to come in and clean my house ?

Baggs Thu 02-Dec-21 19:09:00

You don't actually 'have to endure' any TV programme that doesn't appeal to you. Switch the telly off if what's on it irritates you that much.

Calistemon Thu 02-Dec-21 19:33:32

Blossoming

I’d be very happy for someone to come in and clean my house ?

You have to drag stuff out of drawers and strew it all around, don't clean for six months (that's the easy bit ?) and then face the neighbours who never realised what a disorganised, lazy lot of people you are to let it get in that state.

Some of these homes look worse than my DC's bedrooms when they were teenagers shock

ValerieF Thu 02-Dec-21 19:33:58

Shasabel. If you have worked in tv then you will know it doesn’t matter how trashy the programme is, if it is bringing in viewers that’s all the counts! Once people stop watching, it will be ditched! Why are you even wondering what type of people would subject themselves? Watch or don’t watch - your prerogative.

M0nica Thu 02-Dec-21 20:27:34

I can think of a number of reasons why people do it.
1) They want their 15 minutes of fame and do not care how they do it

2) They are egged in to it by friends and family

3) They really do want a solution to a problem that is really overwhelming them so much they cannot cope with it and apply to these programmes as a last resort.

4) Many of those with terrible homes are actually mentally ill. Either depressed or suffering from Hoarding syndrome, a recognised mental health problem that often arrises after personal trauma.

The fact that you can see a simple solution/would never let your house get like that/ are not such a lazy whatever. All very judgmental comments from people who would, I am sure describe themselves as non-judgmental.

I do watch these programmes on occasion and I am leftwide-eyed that seemingly intelligent people can be so purblind, but think about real life, so many discussions about dealing with domestic problems end up in futile arguments about whose fault it is.

To ask someone else in to sort the problem out and help you deal with the situation in a non-confrontational way can save relationships and teach people lessons that last a lifetime.

It doesn't surprise me that the OP once worked in the industry. A longtime ago DD persuaded me to apply to go on an antiques programme with her. I agreed assuming we wouldn't be selected, but we were.

What I discovered is that, for all we were put in a 5 star hotel and ate beautiful meals, we were otherwise treated like mushrooms, stuck in corners when no-one needed us treated like parts of the set and I am sure the production team had some insulting generic name they applied to all competitors.

The OP's attitude reminded me of this.

lemongrove Thu 02-Dec-21 21:03:52

mrswoo

It's as if programme makers have totally run out of original or creative ideas. As DH says when confronted with yet another "reality" programme "you can almost hear that barrel being scraped" Although, reading the heading of your post sashabel, I thought you were referring to Mrs Brown's Boys - possibly the worst programme ever. IMOgrin

At least Mrs B isn’t a reality programme though.
I agree Sasha they are the junk food of tv programmes.
Glad to have Sky and Amazon Prime to watch for drama.

Amberone Thu 02-Dec-21 21:16:29

4) Many of those with terrible homes are actually mentally ill. Either depressed or suffering from Hoarding syndrome, a recognised mental health problem that often arises after personal trauma.

So agree with this. I remember watching some episodes of Aggie & Wotsit, I think they did the first of these clean-your-house type programs. At first I was just amazed at the condition of peoples homes, but then realised that at least some of them seemed deeply depressed and others appeared at best to have a very limited mental capacity. To me these programmes were in the same league as Jeremy Kyle and his ilk.

Many medical programmes on the other hand are usually sympathetic and may serve a purpose in educating people about conditions they have never been aware of or actually suffer from.

Sashabel Thu 02-Dec-21 21:22:41

All those who are say just turn the TV off if you don't want to watch these programmes haven't understood my original post.

Elizabeth27 Thu 02-Dec-21 21:49:27

Just accept that we are all different, some people want to be on TV some don't, the shows must be popular or they would not be made.