Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Meatloaf has died!

(128 Posts)
kittylester Fri 21-Jan-22 08:14:10

His music has been a soundtrack to our family life.

Ashcombe Fri 21-Jan-22 08:19:30

That is sad news! I love his music - it often accompanies my long car journeys to Cheshire or France!

Grandmabatty Fri 21-Jan-22 08:19:46

I just saw that too. Really sad

Casdon Fri 21-Jan-22 08:21:30

As his family said:
“From his heart to your souls…don’t ever stop rocking!”

kittylester Fri 21-Jan-22 08:27:06

We have seen him lots of times.

Most memorably at Warwick Castle with DD3.

'Paradise by the dashboard light' was often sung in our kitchen while Sunday lunch was being prepared and I remember singing 'I'd do anything for love' at the tops of our voices while driving to school for DD2's A Levels. It helped to calm her nerves and gee her up. It worked!!

BigBertha1 Fri 21-Jan-22 09:03:20

Sad news. sad

'Two outta three ain't bad' means so much to me.

RIP. xx

EllanVannin Fri 21-Jan-22 09:15:03

I know my D will be upset by this as I'm sure she attended a couple of his concerts in the past because she always said he was a lovely man. So sad at only 74.

Dogsmakemesmile Fri 21-Jan-22 09:17:23

I am very sorry to hear that. I introduced him to my teenage son who fell in love with his music. I got to relive my boarding school days as he belted it out of his bedroom ....RIP

Kali2 Fri 21-Jan-22 09:17:33

Very sad. Must say however he lived to be 74 as he always looked as a heart attack to happen.

Kali2 Fri 21-Jan-22 09:17:47

waiting to happen

LilacChaser Fri 21-Jan-22 09:19:24

Aww, that's sad. Sorry news, indeed.

FannyCornforth Fri 21-Jan-22 09:23:10

Oh no sad

As soon as opened this thread I remembered your story about singing ‘Paradise’ in the kitchen Kitty.

We saw him twice; one time was utterly brilliant (MEN arena) and the other time he was terrible, I’m sorry to say (Chatsworth).
He was obviously too ill to perform properly.

DH had a very memorable meeting with the great man.
I will post the tale on a bit.

Urmstongran Fri 21-Jan-22 09:27:24

I’m afraid his music wasn’t to my taste really. Sad news though for his family, friends and fans. As I get nearer to the 7-0 birthday I think ‘oh heck’ about obits about anybody so few years ahead of me.

kittylester Fri 21-Jan-22 09:46:31

Kali2

Very sad. Must say however he lived to be 74 as he always looked as a heart attack to happen.

He died of covid apparently.

He had, however, been ill lately.

Sad that Jim Steinman died just last year too.

annsixty Fri 21-Jan-22 09:51:05

Oh I know what you mean Urms only in my case it’s that everybody dying is so much younger than me!!
My D is/was a huge fan and has put on her Facebook page this morning remembering being ill with tonsillitis and me going out to buy Bat out of Hell for her to make her feel better.
A well loved artist and missed by so many.

Calendargirl Fri 21-Jan-22 09:54:12

I loved ‘You took the words right out of my mouth’.

merlotgran Fri 21-Jan-22 09:58:18

Meatloaf wasn’t my cup of tea either but I remember him blasting out of three teenage bedrooms back in the day.

Happy days so thank you, Meatloaf. RIP

kittylester Fri 21-Jan-22 09:59:50

One of my daughter posted 'Crying icicles instead of tears' on FB.

Visgir1 Fri 21-Jan-22 10:01:27

Bat out of Hell.. Amazing!
Saw the original tour in our local Guildhall and the show was fantastic. It was still a "cult following" before it went mega!
Became the album of an era in my life. Both my children grew up with it and both love it, us all singing it in the kitchen, happy days.
RIP big man, thank you. flowers

MiniMoon Fri 21-Jan-22 10:28:16

Bat out of hell is my wake up alarm music.

End of an era. RIP.

glammanana Fri 21-Jan-22 10:34:50

Bat out of Hell was one of the best records ever RIP Meatloaf you where a legend in your own time.

rafichagran Fri 21-Jan-22 10:39:20

I loved meatloaf, Paradise by the dash board light and two out of three ain't bad are my favourites.
RIP Meatloaf.

Kali2 Fri 21-Jan-22 10:50:19

kittylester

Kali2

He died of covid apparently.

He had, however, been ill lately.

Sad that Jim Steinman died just last year too.

Yes, I understand thanks. A sad reminder that Covid will affect those with poor health and 'lifestyle' more than others.

This is in no way a criticism - but a tragic fact.

Pepper59 Fri 21-Jan-22 11:01:46

Oh, I am so sorry to hear this. Loved his music and really admired him, boy, was he ever a fighter. Horrendous childhood, battled injuries from his football days, really had tough times yet became the star he was. RIP Meatloaf

nanaK54 Fri 21-Jan-22 11:08:05

I imagine his music is being played in homes up and down the country today, it certainly is here