Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Gogglebox

(53 Posts)
Shinamae Sun 13-Mar-22 10:11:07

I have to say I am new to this as I have only just started watching it but it is one of the only TV programmes where I actually laugh out loud. In these troubling times it’s so good not to watch the news but to switch on Gogglebox, so entertaining,wish I’d found it before but I am doing catch up on E4 so I’ve got about 20 stored ?

Aveline Sun 13-Mar-22 10:34:17

I agree Shinamae. I more often find myself laughing while watching Gogglebox than any other TV programmes. I'm not sure why I like so many of the families and couples but I just do. Some I'm not so keen on but that's life.

Kim19 Sun 13-Mar-22 10:50:58

I dip in and out. Used to like it a lot but families change (of course) and there's too much swearing for me these days. Can't ever understand that inside one's home. Yep, I obviously am too old!

Doodledog Sun 13-Mar-22 11:11:23

I watch it, but as I don't watch a lot of TV I often have no idea what they are talking about ?

I think it has got more and more scripted over the years, and get really irritated when they narrate the plot of films and dramas ('Oh look, he's got a gun! He's going to shoot that man because he murdered his wife at the beginning'), but as you all say, it often makes me laugh out loud.

Ailsa43 Sun 13-Mar-22 11:27:35

I find it the funniest programme on tv , way funnier than any comedy show.. It's the only show that literally has me laughing out loud at the contestants antics..

Shinamae Sun 13-Mar-22 11:45:58

I am not watching the most recent series I am watching older ones and I must say my favourites are Lee and Jenny, they are hilarious also Mary and her husband (name escapes me)from the Cotswolds but I do find most of the families so funny and really does give me an emotional lift..?

sparkly1000 Sun 13-Mar-22 11:50:15

Sadly the Malone’s dog Lucy died last week.
There was a photo on the Gogglebox site of Tom giving Lucy a last cuddle.

Shinamae Sun 13-Mar-22 11:51:52

Shinamae

I am not watching the most recent series I am watching older ones and I must say my favourites are Lee and Jenny, they are hilarious also Mary and her husband (name escapes me)from the Cotswolds but I do find most of the families so funny and really does give me an emotional lift..?

Giles!! ?‍♀️?

Pittcity Sun 13-Mar-22 11:52:30

It's one of my favourite programmes. I do worry for the two young girls who seem amazingly stupid. For example the pregnant one asking what babies were fed apart from milk when baby food was being made on the apprentice!
Jenny and Lee are my favourites.

GrannyGravy13 Sun 13-Mar-22 12:19:25

Always makes me giggle, I love Giles & Mary, Jenny & Lee and the Welsh couple who’s names I have totally forgotten.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 13-Mar-22 12:29:04

Yes agree with all of the above.

I actually have never watched it until this winter, and have watched every episode gradually over the winter.

I also liked the couple who were always drunk, who lived in Sandwich.

Laugh out loud stuff, what glorious sense of humour some have.

Kate1949 Sun 13-Mar-22 12:31:22

I love Gogglebox. I've watched it from day one. There were some photos on the paper recently of Giles and Mary when they were young. They were a handsome couple. Mary was a model in her younger days. Giles is an accomplished artist with his own gallery and Mary writes for The Spectator. You may or may not be interested in these useless facts. I have too much time on my hands!

GrannyGravy13 Sun 13-Mar-22 12:31:49

Whitewavemark2 do you mean Steph and Dom?

They were hilarious

Jaxjacky Sun 13-Mar-22 12:32:58

We both love it, usually watch it a couple of days later, makes me cry with laughter.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 13-Mar-22 12:35:28

GrannyGravy13

Whitewavemark2 do you mean Steph and Dom?

They were hilarious

Yes. Loved them.

Casdon Sun 13-Mar-22 12:40:47

Shirley and Dave are the Welsh couple, they are funny. I also like the Siddiquis, the Dad has one of the naturally happiest faces I’ve seen, he looks like he spends his life smiling.

volver Sun 13-Mar-22 12:48:40

Oh I love Gogglebox!

I quite like the young girls, who are not the sharpest tools in the box but seem to be nice. The brother and sister from Blackpool are good too - they look after each other. And another vote for the Siddiqis! The new Scottish couple are a bit bland.

Can't abide Mary and Giles though, sorry!

GrannyGravy13 Sun 13-Mar-22 12:53:50

Casdon

Shirley and Dave are the Welsh couple, they are funny. I also like the Siddiquis, the Dad has one of the naturally happiest faces I’ve seen, he looks like he spends his life smiling.

Thank you for jogging my sluggish Sunday brain, of course it’s Dave & Shirley.

The Siddiqi boys are very active in their local community.

Shinamae Sun 13-Mar-22 12:59:23

Kate1949

I love Gogglebox. I've watched it from day one. There were some photos on the paper recently of Giles and Mary when they were young. They were a handsome couple. Mary was a model in her younger days. Giles is an accomplished artist with his own gallery and Mary writes for The Spectator. You may or may not be interested in these useless facts. I have too much time on my hands!

That’s very interesting thank you..

Redhead56 Sun 13-Mar-22 13:45:55

I have always watched Gogglebox it can be hilarious one minute then have me in tears next. I like celebrity Gogglebox too Rylan and his mum are so funny.

Georgesgran Sun 13-Mar-22 13:50:51

Can I just apologies for the 2 girls from Durham. Please don’t think we’re all that thick!!?

Aveline Sun 13-Mar-22 13:54:26

Don't worry Georgesgran. It's hard to believe anyone can be so ill informed about virtually everything!

Jane43 Sun 13-Mar-22 13:58:07

It was always one of my favourite programmes but just lately I find myself being bored with a lot of it. I am still watching because of the lovely Siddiqui family, the three black brothers, Jenny and Lee and Shirley and Dave. The brother and sister Peter and Sophie have a nice relationship but do too many staged things for the camera, so do Giles and Mary. I really missed Leon and June when Leon died, they were my absolute favourites and I also liked the Michael family, the parents had such a lovely relationship with their children, I was sad to hear that the father had passed away. Most of the newcomers aren’t interesting or funny except for the disabled man and his sister.

Jane43 Sun 13-Mar-22 14:02:10

Does anybody know how many dogs the sisters Eliie and Izzie have now? Ellie had two Italian greyhounds, then she and Izzie both had a miniature dachshund and now Izzie seems to have a new Chihuahua puppy.

BlueBelle Sun 13-Mar-22 14:04:22

I don’t watch it as religiously as I used to but when I do I still find it funny I m another Siddiqui family fan the dad looks a lovely man Mary and Giles make me laugh they seem so unsuited she treats him like a wayward son and I think he loves being treated as a wayward son
Jenny and Lee are my favourites I just wish they were real life partners as they seem so suited I believe her husband is somewhere in the background
Not so keen on the brother and sister or the two gay hairdressers

And I absolutely detest the celebrity version