Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Gentleman Jack

(44 Posts)
Allsorts Mon 11-Apr-22 07:27:34

I don't know what others feel but I put it on last night as there was nothing else. Jack sounds as if she is putting on that strange voice straining all the time, she looks like the child catcher, not so nice though, very creepy indeed. Not a character I liked except the below stairs staff.

tanith Mon 11-Apr-22 07:40:30

I was looking forward to it but honestly i may not bother with it anymore. Tired of all that rushing about and hurried conversations it just feels over complicated/contrived when it doesn’t need to be. Just tell the tale without so many complicated side stories, I like Suranne Jones but it’s all OTT just slow it down a bit.

GagaJo Mon 11-Apr-22 07:57:06

I loved the first series, haven't seen any of the next, but will definitely be watching it.

Calendargirl Mon 11-Apr-22 08:02:50

I think the dashing about and sharp, staccato conversations are to emphasise how ‘manly’ she is, decisive, quite ruthless, knowing her own mind, not at all a weak, simpery woman as often portrayed in those days.

Must admit the storyline has become a bit hazy since it was last shown. I thought she was so enamoured with Ann Lister, but seems to have cooled off somewhat, apart from in the bedroom. I may have nodded off in parts though!

snowberryZ Mon 11-Apr-22 08:05:32

I can't stand that vacuous expression that Suranne Jones seems to put on in everything she's in.The cameras keep doing close ups of it.
Puts me off.

I like her as an actress otherwise.

joannapiano Mon 11-Apr-22 08:05:56

DH and I enjoyed the first series and thought last night’s episode was very entertaining. In reality she was a strong business woman in Victorian England, and I admire that. I don’t watch other “costume dramas,” where women are chatted up by gallant men, as a whole.

volver Mon 11-Apr-22 09:10:52

Gentleman Jack is Anne Lister, her lover is Anne Walker. If you look at pictures of the real Lister, and read what she was like, Suranne Jones's portrayal seems about right!

Lister does love Walker, as you could see from the scene where she talks to camera while they are in the grounds of the Abbey and Walker is painting. But she also needs her money.

The scene where the new groom refuses to wear the old clothes, and how Anne is going to deal with it, I think shows that this is not your usual costume drama!

Calendargirl Mon 11-Apr-22 09:17:08

volver

Gentleman Jack is Anne Lister, her lover is Anne Walker. If you look at pictures of the real Lister, and read what she was like, Suranne Jones's portrayal seems about right!

Lister does love Walker, as you could see from the scene where she talks to camera while they are in the grounds of the Abbey and Walker is painting. But she also needs her money.

The scene where the new groom refuses to wear the old clothes, and how Anne is going to deal with it, I think shows that this is not your usual costume drama!

Apologies, I got the Ann’s/Anne’s wrong way round!

Thanks for sorting that volver

volver Mon 11-Apr-22 09:17:54

Oh I know, too many Ann(e)s!!

Grandma70s Mon 11-Apr-22 09:24:10

I watched it for the historical element, but I must say she gives me the creeps.

PinkCosmos Mon 11-Apr-22 09:44:21

I watched the first series and enjoyed it. I like Suranne Jones as an actor.

I haven't watched the second series yet but wonder if they should have stopped at one.

They seem to do this a lot these days, if a series is successful they make another series (or two) even if the first was was a stand alone.

Each series seems to get progressively worse, with the story lines getting weaker or more unbelievable

Having said that, I am looking forward to watching the third episode of The Split. Just need to watch the second series first!

BBbevan Mon 11-Apr-22 19:38:44

What has she done to her eyebrows?

BlueBelle Mon 11-Apr-22 19:49:43

I tried the first series and didn’t like it at all so didn’t go with this one

merlotgran Mon 11-Apr-22 20:30:14

I fell asleep ten minutes in. ?

Lizbethann55 Mon 11-Apr-22 22:40:49

I found it all too manic with her hurtling around all over the place. The phrase " coersive control" came to mind. Lister seemed to want her lover shut safely away, separating her from her family, making decisions for her, telling everyone that Walker was ill and mentally unstable. A bit worrying I thought.

MissChateline Mon 11-Apr-22 22:52:48

I thought that the first series was totally brilliant and a breath of fresh air. Last nights episode was excellent. The guardian review this morning was 5 stars and the best costume drama for a long while. I think that many of the expressions that she makes depict well the pain and torment that she must have experienced with her situation.
Much of the series is filmed in the area where I live and I am a regular visitor to Shibden Hall. Her diaries were written in code which were painstakingly deciphered. She was quite an amazing woman. As a lesbian myself we owe women like Anne Lister a huge gratitude for her pioneering in making it OK for women to openly love each other.

Ragtime Tue 12-Apr-22 07:26:13

I too really enjoyed the first series..but this one she seemed to be stomping all over the place and honestly I found it tiresome to be honest.

Curlywhirly Tue 12-Apr-22 07:30:49

BBbevan

What has she done to her eyebrows?

I know! I couldn't take my eyes off them ?

Calendargirl Tue 12-Apr-22 07:34:19

I didn’t notice her eyebrows!

Will take note next week.

travelsafar Mon 02-May-22 09:12:58

I am enjoying this series but what has happened to Suranne Jones, she is so thin now and her face looks very gaunt. Concerned she may be unwell.

Calendargirl Wed 11-May-22 06:50:46

Just caught up with Sunday’s episode.

I felt so sorry for poor Marian, Anne’s sister. Not sure why her potential husband is so unsuitable, apart from being ‘in trade’, and she would obviously be ‘marrying down’, being a Lister, but to be informed so blankly that no family would attend the wedding and she would never be spoken of again…. Of course, the poor chap had the audacity to speak to Anne at the Navigation meeting..how embarrassing! He could, of course, have his eye on Shibden.

Does Anne not think that her unconventional lifestyle may give her own family concern, but they all support her?

Good that times have moved on, for all situations.

Esspee Wed 11-May-22 07:00:07

We have thoroughly enjoyed it so far. Nice to find a costume drama OH will watch.

Sparklefizz Wed 11-May-22 07:48:41

Yes, poor Marian. It seems hypocritical of Anne to choose what was a very unconventional lifestyle in those days and expect her family to accept that, but decide that Marian marrying into trade would bring the family down.

But I have to say that I really admire Anne for her intelligence and the way she lives her life. She certainly was a trailblazer. Just a pity she can't extend the same to her sister. Of course, the chap may have nefarious intentions......

BeEmerald Wed 11-May-22 12:36:04

I’m not a fan of this at all. Think that bloke should have left the lead actress in the torpedo tube in Vigil !!
( Disclaimer - this is a joke - I mean no personal harm to anyone ! )

MayBee70 Wed 11-May-22 12:43:28

I’m not sure what I think of it to be honest. I find Ann Lister a bit predatory in the series and I think her sexuality is probably the least interesting thing about her because she really was an amazing person. I just so hate her hairstyle. I know it’s of that age but it must be the most unflattering hairstyle in the history of hairstyles! She reminds me of the child snatcher.