Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Life After Life - BBC begins this evening

(62 Posts)
Jane43 Tue 19-Apr-22 09:30:23

I am a fan of Kate Atkinson's books and read this one a while ago. I hope the series does it justice and the trailers do look good.

TerriBull Tue 19-Apr-22 09:52:23

I loved the book, my favourite of hers, it did split opinion though. I think a lot of people preferred the sequel "A God in Ruins".

I saw the trailers which look good. It's very much a suspend belief tale, maybe not everyone will go for such a premise, nevertheless I shall watch it in anticipation.

Mollygo Tue 19-Apr-22 10:03:05

I like Kate Atkinson’s books. I’ve put this down to record.

Jane43 Tue 19-Apr-22 14:17:28

Terribull I loved A God In Ruins too. I have loved her books since I read Behind The Scenes At The Museum many years ago.

grannydarkhair Tue 19-Apr-22 14:36:45

KA is one of my favourite writers, loved every book of hers. I’m also looking forward to this. I loved Jason Isaacs (swoon) as Jackson Brodie, wish they’d made more of them.

TerriBull Tue 19-Apr-22 14:37:48

Ye Janes that one too Behind The Scenes At The Museum, wonderful!

PinkCosmos Tue 19-Apr-22 14:47:55

Thank you for letting the GMer's know about this. i hadn't seen it advertised.

I read the book a few years ago and really enjoyed it. I hope the series lives up to the book, they often don't

I bought the follow up (A God in Ruins) but never got around to reading it. Might spur me on now.

Do you know if it will all be on iPlayer after the first one. I prefer to binge watch rather than wait a week between episodes.

I have just seen on Amazon that KA has a new book coming out in September - Shrines of Gaiety. It is set in 1926 in the clubs of Soho.

Quite glad it isn't a Jackson Brodie one. They were my least favourites.

PinkCosmos Tue 19-Apr-22 14:54:12

Just checked iPlayer. It doesn't look like I can binge watch. The BBC seem to be showing them just weekly. There are four episodes showing on the list.

TerriBull Tue 19-Apr-22 14:56:10

ye janes typo that should be Yes Jane.

Thanks for the heads up on the new book Pink Cosmos. KA is such a great writer, although I must admit I did struggle with one of hers a couple of years ago, "Transcription" found it really tedious.

joannapiano Tue 19-Apr-22 18:03:47

I also love her books and have read “Life After Life “ many times . Such a wonderful many-layered novel. I also started with Behind The Scenes At The Museum. Hope the dramatisation does not disappoint
I don’t like detective novels so have not read the Jackson Brodie books, but enjoyed watching them on the tv.

Treebee Tue 19-Apr-22 18:56:48

This is one of my favourite books so I hope this is done well. I’ll definitely be watching.

Jane43 Tue 19-Apr-22 19:01:31

TerriBull

--ye janes-- typo that should be Yes Jane.

Thanks for the heads up on the new book Pink Cosmos. KA is such a great writer, although I must admit I did struggle with one of hers a couple of years ago, "Transcription" found it really tedious.

I did too. I found it very hard going.

OakDryad Tue 19-Apr-22 19:53:42

I also enjoyed Life After Life but preferred the sequel A God in Ruins. I see the BBC have listed Life After Life in their TV schedules as Sci-Fi!

I agree that Transcriptions was disappointing and look forward to a return to form in her next book.

Jane43 Tue 19-Apr-22 21:54:36

I thought that was very well done and all episodes are now on the iPlayer.

Calendargirl Tue 19-Apr-22 21:55:57

PinkCosmos

Just checked iPlayer. It doesn't look like I can binge watch. The BBC seem to be showing them just weekly. There are four episodes showing on the list.

All episodes on I player.

TerriBull Tue 19-Apr-22 21:56:01

I loved it.

Joseanne Tue 19-Apr-22 22:06:33

I'm a bit confused as to how many times she actually died?

Jane43 Tue 19-Apr-22 22:13:14

Joseanne

She dies many times with different outcomes, don’t be distracted by the number of times, just enjoy the story.

GillT57 Tue 19-Apr-22 22:16:22

By coincidence, I read this book for your second time just after Christmas. Excellent and the dramatisation looks promising so far with the delightful Teddy and rather horrid Maurice smile

OakDryad Tue 19-Apr-22 22:23:43

Joseanne

At birth, in the sea, falling from the window and from flu. I think that was it.

I enjoyed it too. Pretty true to the book apart from the omitted opening chapter which I think was a shame.

It fair romped along, maybe too quickly and in doing so misses some of the nuances of the book, for example, Sylvie Todd's attraction to George Glover dispensed with by Hugh's comment about her "liveliness" in the bedroom! A small criticism. 4/5

Luckygirl3 Tue 19-Apr-22 22:49:39

Hmmm ... it's a good try. But the beauty of Atkinson's books is the slick verbal humour, which is not in the form of dialogue and cannot be replicated on screen.

Teacheranne Wed 20-Apr-22 02:49:26

I’m enjoying it so far and have set series report to make sure I don’t miss the next ones. I have read the book but cannot remember much but bits came back to me as I watched the programme.

Bridie22 Wed 20-Apr-22 06:46:23

I'm hooked already, loved the book will follow on iplayer.

TerriBull Wed 20-Apr-22 07:06:45

Joseanne

From memory she dies a lot in the beginning of the book, particularly when as we saw her in the first episode, baby and child. Then if I remember rightly it was a case of if she took a certain path at various junctures of her life, how differently her life would have paned out and the interludes between the deaths get longer, I think?

I read the book quite a while ago, when it was first published, I realised I'd forgotten some of the finer detail, such as what an absolute shit horror Maurice was. I was dubious as to whether I would like the dramatisation, but thought it was very well done.

If this series is a success maybe it will be followed up with the sequel, A God in Ruins which was very much about Teddy particularly his young life as a fighter pilot in WW2.

kircubbin2000 Wed 20-Apr-22 07:37:36

I gave up on it.